topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 7:42 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: FeedSquares - Alternative to Feedly/Google Reader (Chrome Extension)  (Read 5416 times)

Paul Keith

• Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
https://chrome.googl...gkkeedfnjkldecloidi#

The reviews weren't that positive (mostly feature complaints rather than bugs) but I compare this to the Taboo Firefox extension in that it has a productive user interface for me compared to other RSS reader viewers.

daddydave

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • test
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Doesn't exactly look information dense compared to Feedly, does it? Maybe that's a good thing for some people.
It looks a little like Speed Dial, or like you could set this up in Speed Dial (at least the Firefox version, last I checked, the Chrome version was limited.)

Paul Keith

• Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
It's a little misleading.

I'm not sure you've used it but yeah, I thought it was going to be just another take on the RSS Speed Dial but the advantage it has is that when you click on one of those squares, it doesn't instantly open up a webpage but a horizontal set of squares that show the title and content of the feed when you click on it.

It's still much more information dense if you're not comfortable with opening up a separate webpage to view a full article and are used to skimming newspaper style but I found this to be the most comfortable time I had of marking anything as read because if I'm not opening the actual webpage, my eyes are still mostly focused on what I clicked kind of like how e-mail works except you get a speed dial list instead of a bunch of lines which is less painful for my eyes.

daddydave

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • test
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
No, I didn't try it, I'm just judging from the screen shot. I may give it a try just for the heck of it. Besides, Google Chrome also has the print selected bug fixed, so I'll give Chrome another shot while I'm at it :)

I am however a huge fan of Feedly, and it looks like a newspaper without me having to click on anything, plus I like the way it suggests articles from my RSS feeds when I am on other pages.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2010, 02:54 PM by daddydave »