topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 4:04 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Bluebeam Review  (Read 13680 times)

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Bluebeam Review
« on: April 15, 2010, 09:46 AM »
I'm sure you guys have heard me rave about Bluebeam.  It's my favorite pdf utility.  I've just put up my review for it on my website:

http://aram.dcmember...g/bluebeam-pdf-revu/

bluebeam2_medium.jpg

ganrad

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Bluebeam Review
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2010, 11:42 AM »
I tried Bluebeam and liked it.
Ran into a problem though.
Prior to trying Bluebeam I used Foxit editor to edit pdfs.
Edits and text additions done with Bluebeam (not markups) do not appear if the pdf file is opened with foxit editor later on.
I dont remember but I think the changes done with Bluebeam did not appear when the file was opened in foxit reader as well.
I was so used to foxit editor that I had to abandon the new entrant in favor of the old horse

I still think this is some protocol/layer issue that might have gotten fixed by changing some default options or by flattening before saving. Did not bother to investigate though

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2010, 12:12 PM »
Interesting, ganrad.
I know Bluebeam has flattening features and stuff like that.  The other thing I've run into is actually having to turn on visibility for markups.  I'm not sure if that's part of the problem in your case, but it might be worth exploring.  I've had experiences where the markups wouldn't print because it was set to not print the markups.  I think I've also seen situations where the markups were hidden in the viewer itself.

But you're right, it could also be a compatibility issue.  Maybe the markups from Bluebeam can't be read by foxit or acrobat.  I have personally never run into a problem where Acrobat couldn't read my edits from Bluebeam.

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2010, 12:14 PM »
I just noticed something in your post:  what's the difference between text edits and markups?  I consider any kind of editing on a pdf a "markup".  At least that's how I've been using the word so far.

ganrad

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2010, 12:59 PM »
Well, I distinguish between text edit and markup like these:

Example of text addition/Edit:
(a) Add text: I use this to fillup "wire transfer" information in pdf application form that I download from my bank's site. I open the pdf in an editor, add text in the appropriate places, save, print, sign and send.
(b) Edit text: In other instances, Pull up an old filled (such) form, open in an editor, edit earlier filled text like $$amount, account number, beneficiary details (as may be the case), save as a different pdf
(c) Markup: More general usage - like markup of comments / remarks / inputs in a pdf quotation / invoice sent by my staff. One can turn comment on / off. The basic text of pdf is not altered

Foxit editor does a pretty neat job of (a) and (b) - something I am used to.
Bluebeam probably treats everything as (c)

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2010, 02:45 PM »
Ah!  If I'm not mistaken, you are talking about form filling.  Yes, Bluebeam is not focused much on the form features.  But it can do forms in some capacity now.  Actually, a few versions ago, it was something I personally requested from them.  So now, forms are supported.  It's probably not as fully developed as in Acrobat Pro, but it can do it.  At least you can fill out pdf form documents and save them (I know you can't save them in Acrobat Reader).

But you should be able to do a,b, and c with Bluebeam.  if not, there must be some compatibility issues somewhere.  Here's is something I found in the Bluebeam help file, i don't know if it helps:
FDF (Forms Data Format) may be imported and exported from within Revu. This is a format that enables the exporting and importing of data that is entered in the form field.

At this time only Acroform PDFs are supported, XFA forms may not be filled out within Revu.

The other thing that I probably consider a markup, but I don't know if you do, is the typewriter feature that is common to Acrobat.  I use that a lot when I have to fill out forms, but the forms haven't been formally formatted in Acrobat (meaning, the places where you have to fill out aren't actual fields).  So in those cases, I use the typewriter feature to just point to an area and type quickly.  The difference between that and the regular text markup is that the regular one has all sorts of options for font, style, color, background, opacity, fill, etc.  But again, I would call the typewriter a markup, to distinguish it from actual saved forms text.

ganrad

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2010, 05:30 AM »
ok. I will give bluembeam another shot. Will report how I fare this time around