topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday April 19, 2024, 6:41 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: system.reflection.targetinvocationexception  (Read 11499 times)

morphy

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
system.reflection.targetinvocationexception
« on: October 28, 2009, 10:28 AM »
Hello,
When i try to launch Circle Dock, an error window appear about .net?

I'm under windows seven.

error.jpg

Thank you for your help

Rigel

• Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: system.reflection.targetinvocationexception
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2009, 10:53 AM »
What windows you have? 64bit version?
I had the same problem with first Markham version but He solved time ago. Maybe He forgot to compile also for 64bit version. Don't worry, Markham replies soon with a compatible version :)
Part of the inhumanity of the computer is that, once it is competently programmed and working smoothly, it is completely honest.

morphy

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2009, 10:59 AM »
I have a 64bit windows seven yes.

Rigel

• Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2009, 11:48 AM »
Maybe I find the error, in this new version there aren't some file:
Orbit.Interop.Win32.dll
Orbit.Utilities.dll
GlobalMouseKeyboardHook.dll
and the oldest are not compatible.

Markham is online and He already read the problem, now we can only to aspect.
Part of the inhumanity of the computer is that, once it is competently programmed and working smoothly, it is completely honest.

Markham

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Circle Dock
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2009, 12:41 PM »
Maybe I find the error, in this new version there aren't some file:
Orbit.Interop.Win32.dll
Orbit.Utilities.dll
GlobalMouseKeyboardHook.dll
and the oldest are not compatible.

Markham is online and He already read the problem, now we can only to aspect.
I really should have updated the "help" before issuing the refresh...

I've modified the way Circle Dock is "packaged". Previously you got an EXE (CircleDock itself) and a series of DLLs. All but one of these DLLs are .Net Assemblies and they are all compiled with the "x86" - which is required to enable Circle Dock to operate on both 32-bit and 64-bit Operating Systems.

The current releases are "packaged" using a program called "Netz" (which you can read about here) which bundles all the Net Assembly DLLs into the main executable. This has several advantages: it ensures that the correct version of the DLLs is always used; it dramatically reduces the overall size - by around 50% - which reduces disk space and speeds-up the program's load and start. Prior to releasing this new way of distributing Circle Dock, I did test it on a friend's Vista-64 PC and all worked as it should.

If you look at your Circle Dock Folder, you should find only two binary files: CircleDock.exe and Orbit.Hook.dll - this DLL is not a Net Assembly, it contains unmanaged low-level code to establish global keyboard and mouse hooks - a task that can't be done using managed (ie Net) code. So you should not worry that you appear to be missing some DLLs - they are there but as part of CircleDock.exe.

Now, on the off-chance that there's a problem with the Netz bundling system on 64-bit Operating Systems, I'm attaching a zip file which contains an unbundled version - ie, the CircleDock.exe and all the DLLs. If this works, then I will have to re-think the distribution mechanism.

* CDUnbundled.zip (1501.39 kB - downloaded 786 times.)

Try also this version of the Netz bundle: * CDx86.zip (1433.96 kB - downloaded 547 times.)
Mark
« Last Edit: October 28, 2009, 12:52 PM by Markham »

Rigel

• Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2009, 01:42 PM »
Unbundled works.
I'll try x86 later this night (in Italy the time is 19:40).
But now I have an other problem, with previus version I had the error on close with more CD, now the second CD won't start.
EDIT: X86 version also works
EDIT2: Very Very Strange, I control the last 2 versions and eclipse one and I descover are all 32-bit. I thought all my Markham versions was 64-bit.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2009, 02:02 PM by Rigel »

worick

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2009, 03:48 PM »
I experienced the exact same error message on Windows 7 ultimate 64 bit. I had the 9.2 alpha release already installed, and tried to overwrite those files with the 9.2.7 release.

I downloaded the unbundled and new bundle to test.

I tried overwriting a copy of my 9.2 alpha install with the unbundled version and it seems to work just fine.

I tried the new bundle version on a copy of my 9.2 install and it failed to launch circle dock, but with a different error. I downloaded the new bundle again, extracted and overwrote the exe and it seems to work now. I don't normally get corrupt downloads, but that's all I can think of.

Markham

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Circle Dock
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2009, 08:26 PM »
I experienced the exact same error message on Windows 7 ultimate 64 bit. I had the 9.2 alpha release already installed, and tried to overwrite those files with the 9.2.7 release.
Thanks for that report!

The files in the zip files attached to my previous message in this thread are not the full 0.9.2.7 release as you will be missing quite a number of images (required for "Add Special Item") and the entire help system. Might I suggest you download and install version 0.9.2.7 and then overwrite the CircleDock.exe file with the version contained in CDx86.zip.

Mark

Markham

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Circle Dock
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2009, 08:37 PM »
Unbundled works.
I'll try x86 later this night (in Italy the time is 19:40).
But now I have an other problem, with previus version I had the error on close with more CD, now the second CD won't start.
EDIT: X86 version also works
Great - thanks!

EDIT2: Very Very Strange, I control the last 2 versions and eclipse one and I descover are all 32-bit. I thought all my Markham versions was 64-bit.
No. All are actually 32-bit versions but the files are marked differently.

In the 0.9.2.7 release, CircleDock.exe was compiled for "AnyCPU" whilst all the DLLs were compiled for "x86" and the Netz wrapper is marked "AnyCPU". This works for 32-bit but not all 64-bit Operating Systems.

In CDUnbundled.zip, CircleDock.exe was compiled for "AnyCPU" whilst all the DLLs were compiled for "x86". This is the only combination I have been able to get to work on both 32-bit and 64-bit Operating Systems.

In CDx86.zip, the files were compiled in the same way but the Netz wrapper is "x86" and you - and others - have confirmed it works under a 64-bit Operating System - it also runs perfectly on 32-bit.

Good!

Thanks folks for your help in sorting this out!

Mark
[/quote]

morphy

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2009, 03:39 AM »
It works fine now.
You did a very good work, i love this dock : Simple, Light in memory, and Nice !

Thank you very much
« Last Edit: October 29, 2009, 05:56 AM by morphy »

Rigel

• Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2009, 04:29 AM »
Perfect :)
Now all right and the future is ok :)