topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 4:11 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: My text file manipulation needs  (Read 37949 times)

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: My text file manipulation needs
« Reply #25 on: October 22, 2009, 04:16 PM »
I don't see an attached zip...   :huh:

forkinpm

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: My text file manipulation needs - the promised documentation
« Reply #26 on: October 24, 2009, 08:23 AM »
Hallo Jody!
Yet another delay and an apology, but on this occasion the document is ready and is in the accompanying zip.
I suggest that we communicate when you have had a chance to read and digest the contents.
Over the next 24 hours I will rethink the implications and write a one-pager on how I think that we should proceed.
Thanks and once again sorry for keeping you waiting.
Have a nice weekend.
Regards, forkinpm.

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: October 24, 2009, 01:41 PM »
I suggest that we communicate when you have had a chance to read and digest the contents.
Over the next 24 hours I will rethink the implications and write a one-pager on how I think that we should proceed.
I think the complexity of this project has gotten to the point where I really don't have the time to continue working on it.  You are free to use the code I've written so far as a starting point for future work; I suspect that what you need is outside the scale of the Coding Snack approach here, and you may be better off trying to hire a programmer for the job using a site such as http://www.rentacoder.com.  I trust you can understand.

forkinpm

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: My text file manipulation needs - Post on Monday 26 October
« Reply #28 on: October 26, 2009, 07:18 AM »
Hallo Jody!
Over the weekend I had time to reflect on the material I had sent you & have decided to make some changes.
The changes will cover:
1. Being able to handle dual words and a single part-of-speech as in verbs taking a preposition
2. Conjuctions made up of more than one word and also taking a single part-of-speech
For these two points some preview and marking of the text before tagging is required.
3. Some analysis of my texts and their segmentation looking for patterns.
When I have completed this, I will better understand the implications.
This latter point is a way to predict with some better accuracy where phrases begin and end.
The final point is the addition of a rules set for the segmentation and its re-sequencing for the German version.
I have set myself a deadline of mid-day tomorrow to post it.
How are you getting on with what I sent on Saturday?
Regards, forkinpm.

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #29 on: October 26, 2009, 04:53 PM »
forkinpm, maybe my previous post was misunderstood?  Due to the time required for an app of this complexity, I will not be developing it any further.

forkinpm

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: My text file manipulation needs - your lats post
« Reply #30 on: October 29, 2009, 10:29 AM »
Hallo Jody!
I had asked you on a few occasions to tell me what it would cost, but received no reply to the questions.
Now you tell me that it is too complex and you have decided to shelve all activity.
The reply is neither good for your business nor fair to a customer.
I would ask you please to tell me what you will do for what level of payment and I can reduce the complexity with easier, simpler or more short-cut methods, to save your time and my costs.
So please don't cancel the activity.
We can come to an agreement.
Regards, forkinpm.

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #31 on: October 29, 2009, 06:50 PM »
I had asked you on a few occasions to tell me what it would cost, but received no reply to the questions.

I did reply to you regarding the cost.  Simply put, there is no cost associated with the code I write on this site.  The code and applications I write for DonationCoder are free.  I'm not employed by DonationCoder in any capacity.  I write Coding Snacks for fun and practice.  That being said, I reserve the right to not write code as well.

Now you tell me that it is too complex and you have decided to shelve all activity.
The reply is neither good for your business nor fair to a customer.

I don't mean this as rudely as it's going to sound.  I don't have any sort of business, therefore, you are not my customer.  Again, it's not a matter of cost.  It's a matter of time and desire.  I'm gainfully employed elsewhere full-time as a network engineer for a large ISP.  I simply do not have the time or desire to write this full application that you want.

I would ask you please to tell me what you will do for what level of payment and I can reduce the complexity with easier, simpler or more short-cut methods, to save your time and my costs.
So please don't cancel the activity.

Again, I do apologise, but I have no desire to enter into a paying contract in regards to this application you want written.  You may be able to find a programmer willing to take on your project over at RentACoder http://www.rentacoder.com

patforkin

• Participant
  • Joined in 2011
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #32 on: March 20, 2011, 12:20 PM »
Hallo!
Though 120 days have elapsed, since the last posts, I am writing this post because I wrote the original posts.
My model has been built using jEdit and I will publish an eBook on the model soon.
I have however developed an interest in simplifying it by transferring it to the language AWK.
I now have cygwin installed under ms-win-xp and have started reshaping some scripts written by others to use.
I would prefer to have a skilled developer on my side.
Anyone with experience in AWK would be most welcome.
Any takers?
Regards, patforkin.