topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 5:02 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: FARR Plugin: AMPL [updated to version 0.6.2]  (Read 31487 times)

Perry Mowbray

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
FARR Plugin: AMPL [updated to version 0.6.2]
« on: September 21, 2009, 10:54 AM »
AMPL is a FARR2 Plugin that will generate, manage and run specialized AutoHotKey scripts: Built with the latest version of FScript [1.20]!!

Note: This is still a beta release as there are still (not too serious) rough edges and functions not implemented, but I thought it was at a point that others (apart from CleverCat) could have a bash at and offer feed back if so inclined.

What's changed with 0.6.2?
Updating? If updating from 0.6.1, dcUpDater files should work fine, otherwise delete existing AMPL directory (saving any scripts) and download: * ampl_0.6.2.zip (2439.7 kB - downloaded 475 times.)
  • Script Editor simple window wasn't saving scripts: fixed
  • AMPL Recorder was not called correctly from the Plugin: fixed
  • AMPL Settings didn't give a lot of feedback about unsaved settings: improved
  • ScriptUpdater wasn't preselecting scripts: fixed
  • dcUpDater files tested and working  8)
What's changed with 0.6.1?
  • Fixed a bug in the plugin where double-clicking on the am menu did not doSearch the sub-alias
  • Enabled script "Deletion" and "UnDeletion"
  • Fixed a bug in Recorder that stopped the Toggle between Screen-based and Window-based mouse coordinates
  • Help file or AMPL Recorder (albeit brief  ;) )
  • Fixed up the dcUpdater files

What changed with 0.6.0?
  • This version includes a version of Recorder.ahk that's been modified to integrate with AMPL Script Editor. There is no Help for AMPL Recorder at this stage :(, but I hope it's pretty self explanitory.  Code from Recorder can be inserted into either the code Before or code After sections (no more copy & paste  ;))
  • The use of Recorder also allows for a Record and Edit mode in AMPL. Typing amn into FARR will give the option to record a new script.
  • There is also a new "Simple Script Editor" window. If your script can be loaded into the Simple Window if there is no command and only one Step (ie Recorded Scripts)
  • Improved the integration of Plugins with Script Editor: See the updated MAT Plugin

Requirements: AutoHotKey must be installed (otherwise you wouldn't want this anyway, would you?  :huh: )

My initial aims in writing AMPL were to create a framework where scripts were easy to set up and run, especially for users who are not programmers. Although AHK is an easy and powerful scripting language, the amount of work to set up a simple script to run a couple of programmes put me off most of the time. So initially I wanted:
  • Scripts runnable from FARR, with full searching
  • Run multiple proprammes in one script
  • Positioning and sizing of windows so that they are positioned independently of the programme's normal settings
  • Run and leave functionality, that is, the script can shut down/log off/etc dependent on the success of the script

...and it's probably grown a little from those humble beginnings.

A is for AutoHotKey
  • and is also for Another, because there is also a fair amount of overlap between these types or programmes.
M is for Multiple
  • and is also for Manipulate because the windows can be manipulated through the scripts.
  • It is also for Many because of the many script that can be written: FARR gives you a live search for easy launching.
P is for Programme
  • and is also for Plugin because AMPL can be extended by plugins (A plugin for AMPL Variables is included).
  • It is also for Powerful, because AMPL is build from the powerful AutoHotKey language.
L is for Launcher
  • and is also for Layout because a different layout can be defined for each script

There are essentially three parts to AMPL:
1. The FARR AMPL plugin: doorway to create, run & edit scripts.
2. The AMPL Script Editor: the easy way to edit scripts.
3. The AMPL Recorder: an integrated way to record Screen activity.

AMPL Plugin
The default shortcut to initiate AMPL is am. Typing am in the FARR window will list the sub-commands:
FARR-AMPL.png

Typing am <string> will list the scripts that match the <string> search. Selecting one will run the script.

AMPL Script Editor
The Script Editor enables the creation of the Script's steps, each step can run a programme and/or AHK code. AMPL Script Editor comes in two flavours:
Normal
ScriptWindow.png

Simple
Screenshot - 6_10_2009 , 11_06_33 PM.png

AMPL Recorder
AMPL Recorder will record Screen activity: Keyboard, Mouse Clicks, Windows, Window Controls, Mouse Movement
Screenshot - 6_10_2009 , 11_12_32 PM.png

AMPL Recorder has a recording window where what is recorded in the script can be changed on the fly:
Screenshot - 6_10_2009 , 11_13_10 PM.pngFARR Plugin: AMPL [updated to version 0.6.2]

AMPL Recorder can also be invoked in "Record and Edit" mode from FARR. When you stop recording (by clicking the button, or even better for your script: F12 hotkey), the script will be loaded into Script Editor.
Screenshot - 6_10_2009 , 10_40_48 PM.png

Installation
Download AMPL package
  • Unpack into your FARR/Plugins directory
Plugin Initialization
  • AMPL Plugin will ask for the location of your AHK directory:
    Screenshot - 6_10_2009 , 10_53_02 PM.pngFARR Plugin: AMPL [updated to version 0.6.2].
    Click "..." and Set.
  • AMPL Script Updater will run to update the included script:
    Screenshot - 6_10_2009 , 10_43_54 PM.pngFARR Plugin: AMPL [updated to version 0.6.2].
    Select and Process.

Usage
In FARR type am for a full list of options.

I've included HelloWorld that can be run, edited, etc.:
  • To edit it type ame HelloWorld into FARR.
  • To run it type amr HelloWorld into FARR.
  • To install it type ami HelloWorld into FARR. (Installing means creating a shortcut in the start menu, desktop, etc)

The ScriptEditor help file that contains a lot of hopefully helpful information. The Help file can be downloaded in html format (separated because of the size), or the chm version can be accessed through the ScriptEditor. It contains a couple of "tutorials" on how to create AMPL Scripts:
  • HelloWorld from AMPL: First simple script.
  • NotePad by Three: Open three NotePad windows in different locations.

So there you go: caution - this is certainly not a finished product (but I am using it daily), so use with some caution and understanding.

All comments appreciated  :)

« Last Edit: October 12, 2009, 08:49 AM by Perry Mowbray »

Perry Mowbray

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: FARR Plugin: AMPL [beta version 0.5.0]
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2009, 11:27 AM »
That's auspicious: this is the 20,000 topic in the forum!  :-\

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2009, 02:18 PM »
wow  :-*

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2009, 04:59 PM »
Hi Perry,

You have begun a noble endeavour!

Here's a trifle:
oops.pngFARR Plugin: AMPL [updated to version 0.6.2]
Presumably, most who use this will have opted for default installations of Farr but...
I took a quick glance at the files before posting this but didn't immediately spot where I can modify the path.
The includes are in the AMPL folder but my copy of FARR isn't where AMPL thinks it is.

Think of this as entertainment  ;)

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2009, 06:12 PM »
Sorry, found what I needed in ...\FARR\Plugins\AMPL\Scripts\HelloWorld.ahk.
I was looking higher up the file tree.

Hello to you too.png

Perry Mowbray

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: FARR Plugin: AMPL [beta version 0.5.1]
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2009, 09:28 AM »
Here's a trifle: (see attachment in previous post)Presumably, most who use this will have opted for default installations of Farr but...
I took a quick glance at the files before posting this but didn't immediately spot where I can modify the path.
The includes are in the AMPL folder but my copy of FARR isn't where AMPL thinks it is.

Good point: I should have said that if FARR isn't in C:\Program Files\ Then you'll need to edit and save the script first.

Ta.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2009, 11:38 AM »
you know.. this very cool plugin immediately came to mind when someone on irc asked about the possibility of a farr plugin that could record and playback keyboard "Macros"..

i wonder if AMPL might be extended some day to support recording keyboard macros as ahk scripts.. the really cool part about this is that they could be easily edited later and AMPL already has all the infrastructure for searching and launching them.. and i wonder if another ahk coder hasn't already made such a macro recording ahk script that could be used.

Perry Mowbray

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2009, 11:04 PM »
you know.. this very cool plugin immediately came to mind when someone on irc asked about the possibility of a farr plugin that could record and playback keyboard "Macros"..

i wonder if AMPL might be extended some day to support recording keyboard macros as ahk scripts.. the really cool part about this is that they could be easily edited later and AMPL already has all the infrastructure for searching and launching them.. and i wonder if another ahk coder hasn't already made such a macro recording ahk script that could be used.

The functionality to record is already enabled in the ScriptEditor, though it's not coded in the ScriptEditor. I didn't see the point of re-inventing the wheel, or macro recorder for that matter, so I provided a button to run AutoScriptWriter:
img_18.png

After you've recorded your script in ASW, all you need to do is to copy and paste into one of the code sections of AMPL:
img_53.pngFARR Plugin: AMPL [updated to version 0.6.2]

A little bit of editing may make the macro "work" better. For example, the use of the AMPL variables ampl_procID and ampl_winID that are returned after running the command.

If people prefer other ahk macro recorders then I will probably use an ini definition to handle that.

The other thought is if people want to record from FARR (without starting AMPL), I could do that as well with a separate script that runs AutoScriptWriter and then saves the AMPL script and loads for editing. Let me know if you'd like to see that sort of thing...

So to Summarize, feel free to give feed back on the following:
  • Do people want AMPL to support different AHK macro recorders (ie one person wants one, and another wants another)?
  • Is there a specific macro recorder that is better than AutoScriptWriter?
  • Do people want AMPL to record a macro before running ScriptEditor?
« Last Edit: September 26, 2009, 11:06 PM by Perry Mowbray »

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2009, 01:27 AM »
ok so i just got around to installing AMPL and...

just cant get over how professional everything is.. the help file is like for a full big mature application..

will report more as i try it now, just couldn't wait to post after initial installation.  :Thmbsup:

Perry Mowbray

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2009, 01:36 AM »
just cant get over how professional everything is.. the help file is like for a full big mature application..

I've sort of been writing as I've gone along. There's still lots missing from the Help...

will report more as i try it now, just couldn't wait to post after initial installation.  :Thmbsup:

Appreciate the feedback: there are lots of rough edges yet (there's an icon bug that irritates me  ;)) - but I thought that I should stop for a breath and see what other people thought before I headed off in my own directions.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2009, 02:10 AM »
let me answer these:

* Do people want AMPL to support different AHK macro recorders (ie one person wants one, and another wants another)?
AutoScriptWriter worked well enough for me.

* Is there a specific macro recorder that is better than AutoScriptWriter?
don't know the answer to that.

* Do people want AMPL to record a macro before running ScriptEditor?
not sure what you mean -- but i don't have any problem with launching ASW to record a macro.

----

here's my only issue with the macro recording:

i think the macro recording has potential to be something people use plugin for.

but the copy and paste from ASW is a bit painful -- ASW doesnt have a button to copy all, and ctrl+A doesn't work, and when you save it wants you to save to a file, etc.  so it's a bit confusing.  not that an expert wouldn't learn what to do, just doesn't quite flow.

i don't know if there is a solution for this, except that IF there is another ahk utility that wraps ASW into a nicer interface that you could tweak to work more smoothly with AMPL that might be worth it (but NOT to the degree that it would make sense to work a lot on a custom macro recorder!).

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2009, 02:16 AM »
so some obervations after following the tutorial, then creating my own macro and testing it.

for anyone who has been wanting a way to create more powerful scripts to do things from farr.. you now have your answer.

it's like a bridge that connects FARR and AUTOHOTKEY in a truly seamless way.  very very cool.

Perry Mowbray

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2009, 02:26 AM »
let me answer these:

* Do people want AMPL to support different AHK macro recorders (ie one person wants one, and another wants another)?
AutoScriptWriter worked well enough for me.

OK, but I think I've got something else in the pipeline...

* Do people want AMPL to record a macro before running ScriptEditor?
not sure what you mean -- but i don't have any problem with launching ASW to record a macro.
----

here's my only issue with the macro recording:

i think the macro recording has potential to be something people use plugin for.

but the copy and paste from ASW is a bit painful -- ASW doesnt have a button to copy all, and ctrl+A doesn't work, and when you save it wants you to save to a file, etc.  so it's a bit confusing.  not that an expert wouldn't learn what to do, just doesn't quite flow.

i don't know if there is a solution for this, except that IF there is another ahk utility that wraps ASW into a nicer interface that you could tweak to work more smoothly with AMPL that might be worth it (but NOT to the degree that it would make sense to work a lot on a custom macro recorder!).

I agree with all of that: it's the same for me ;)

What I plan to do is:
1. Work with the Recorder.ahk script to manage macro recording (unless there are other suggestions)
2. Add custom "Insert" button (so that copy and paste is not required)
3. Add functionality so that a user can invoke macro recording from FARR. When stopped the script will be loaded into AMPL for further editing.

CleverCat

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2009, 02:26 AM »
In case you're wondering - Perry has no beef with me!  ;D

I've been the 'Test Bunny'  and my version is working perfectly for my needs!

Snoozing Rabbit.gif

Perry Mowbray

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2009, 02:28 AM »
and BTW Emmanuel and I tracked down a vbScript bug in FScript.dll that limited the functionality of onProcessTrigger. He has released a new version 1.20 at http://e.craft.free.fr/farr/FScript/

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2009, 02:29 AM »
the one thought i had which might be worth cogitating on was this:

you've designed AMPL to be an extremely powerful thing for which a script can have multiple steps, and each step can launch an app, do windows operations, execute ahk code before and after, and react to results.

the user interface for this is absolutely fantastic -- gentle and powerful at the same time -- hard to ask for anything more.

---

i can also see people wanting to use AMPL for much simpler purposes, like just to help them write a simple ahk script they can search for and launch -- so one thought i had, and i have no idea if this is worth even considering, is whether it would make sense to have the AMPL script editor main window have like 2 tabs or an initial question about what kind of script you want to make. one for "Simple AHK Script" and one for "Multi-step Advanced Script".  Where the simple script would basically just be a single memo where one could edit AHK code and launch the macro recorder.  And the "Multi-step Advanced Script" interface would be what you have now.

the idea of the "Simple AHK Script" mode would be to present the user with the absolute minimalist options for their script (title, and memo editor to edit script, button for macro recorder launch?).

--

now having described that idea.. im not 100% sold on it myself, only because anyone who has the smarts to write an AHK script, could almost as easily just create and edit the .ahk file themselves with their own text editor and put it in their search directory path, and be able to search and launch it without using AMPL.

so.. i'm not sure it makes sense adding a simple mode to AMPL to do this.  just an idea.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2009, 02:37 AM »
if you do decide to spend the time making the macro recording stuff easier and more integrated -- i think it does make the simple interface mode more attractive, since i think it might basically be something that macro-recorder users use -- people who aren't nesc. going to be proficient with AHK and would like a streamlined hand-holding way to manage macros.

Though STILL, im not sure you want to go through all the effort to make AMPL *both* a tool for super powerful complicated stuff as it is now, and also at the same time try to make a mode that is suitable for the most novice of users -- that's a tough nut to crack.

CleverCat

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2009, 02:41 AM »
AMPL actually helped me learn a bit more about scripting!  :Thmbsup:

cats-computer.gif

Perry Mowbray

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2009, 02:48 AM »
the idea of the "Simple AHK Script" mode would be to present the user with the absolute minimalist options for their script (title, and memo editor to edit script, button for macro recorder launch?).

Good point: I think I'd like, apart from others, CleverCat's opinion on that, as she's not a programmer (kick me if I just insulted you) and has run AMPL through its paces to create a specific script.

My Thoughts:
I think the Simple Tab was meant to be that, but considering your thoughts, it's aimed at launching a programme, not running a "recorded macro".

Certainly possible to have more than one view of the script (that could be interpreted on load): it's sounding like the difference between "Multiple Programme Launcher" and "Magic Programmable-Script Librettist" (only if you don't use IE or FF  ;)).

What I think we've arrived at here is two distinct usage types:
  • Running Commands and manipulating their windows
  • Recording & Running Macros

Is that right? Because if it is, I don't think there are any problems with integrating that concept into the interface; it's already half there, but it gets complicated by the steps/commands/etc.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2009, 02:57 AM by Perry Mowbray »

CleverCat

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2009, 03:20 AM »
Not insulted!  ;D

I think AMPL falls between novice and power user! But if novice users are prepared to learn, they'll be okay. My initial problem was that the 2 programmes I needed in my script had 'special needs!'  ;) One had it's exe file buried in a third level folder, but Perry overcame that. Programmes like Ccleaner etc were relatively easy to set up.

Maybe 2 versions..

hidey.gif

Perry Mowbray

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2009, 03:37 AM »
Maybe 2 versions..

I think this will be my first avenue of investigation, though internal.

Interestingly, I really like the idea that users can move from "know nothing" to "know a little more" using AMPL: that's how most of us started and I'm all for knowledge sharing and growth :).

CleverCat

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2009, 01:29 AM »
 :Thmbsup:

Perry Mowbray

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
AMPL Opportunities #1: Plugins
« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2009, 08:32 AM »
AMPL also can be extended with Plugins. Plugins can come in two parts:
1. A Definition file that is used by the ScriptEditor to insert code into the script, and
2. Optionally, an AHK Library Include file that will be called at run time.

There are three basic types/purposes of Plugins:
  • Gui's to insert code into the code Before and/or the code After sections. The AMPL Variables Plugin is an example
  • A wrapper for an external programme
  • An AHK Function Library & Definition combination.

I've just done an example of a Plugin Wrapper type that uses skwire's new MouseAccelToggler.exe coding snack.

But first some instructions on how to install a Plugin...

First of all, the Plugin has to be downloaded and saved to your filesystem somewhere. If there are executables included there may also be specific installation instructions for that aspect.

New Plugins can be installed from the Settings window.

The settings programme can be run from the ScriptEditor by Shift-Clicking on the About Icon:
img_332.png

1. Navigate to the Plugins Tab:
img_431.jpgFARR Plugin: AMPL [updated to version 0.6.2]

2. Select the definition file by clicking the load button [...]
3. Definition files are AutoHotKey scripts named *_Definitions.ahk
img_433.jpgFARR Plugin: AMPL [updated to version 0.6.2]
4. Select the correct file and click Open. The file will be loaded:
img_434.jpgFARR Plugin: AMPL [updated to version 0.6.2]
5. If the Plugin also includes an AHK Function Library, load the Library file in the same way. Library files are AHK scripts called *_Includes.ahk.
img_435.jpgFARR Plugin: AMPL [updated to version 0.6.2]
6. Add the Plugin to the list by clicking the Add button:
img_436.jpgFARR Plugin: AMPL [updated to version 0.6.2]
7. Click Save to save the new settings:
img_437.jpgFARR Plugin: AMPL [updated to version 0.6.2]
img_438.jpgFARR Plugin: AMPL [updated to version 0.6.2]
8. If you ran the settings programme from the ScriptEditor you will need to exit the ScriptEditor and run it again for the new settings to take effect.
9. The new Plugin can be accessed on the Advanced Tab of the ScriptEditor:
img_439.jpgFARR Plugin: AMPL [updated to version 0.6.2]
« Last Edit: October 01, 2009, 09:12 AM by Perry Mowbray »

Perry Mowbray

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
AMPL Plugin Example: MouseAccelToggle 1.0.1
« Reply #23 on: October 01, 2009, 09:00 AM »
Version 1.0.1: Uses new AMPL functionality that allows better integration and insertion of code.

This an example of a Plugin that wraps around an external programme, in this case skwire's MouseAccelToggle programme.

First of all, Download the Plugin & Programme: * MAT Plugin 1.0.1.zip (252.53 kB - downloaded 526 times.), and unzip it somewhere (doesn't really matter where).

Install the Plugin following the example in this post (that example was actually done using this plugin, so the filenames will be the same).

Once you've installed the Plugin you can use it to create specific scripts. From my reading of the original post, the idea was to be able to change the mouse acceleration for different occasions on the fly.

This Plugin needs to know where the MouseAccelToggle programme is, so when you first run the ScriptEditor you'll be prompted to enter the location.

So in AMPL you'd create a script for each speed setting you need, and name it appropriately:
  • Go Real Fast: speed=20
  • Go Real Slow: speed=1
  • GoNewSpeed: speed set at run time

Then in FARR it's easy to "search" for your required speed setting:
Screenshot - 1_10_2009 , 11_47_23 PM.png

This is just a very brief example, and in many ways what is achieved with the plugin could easily be done without a Plugin: but I think it's OK for an example.

In putting this together I've discovered a few more rough edges that I hope to get to shortly...

Edit: Corrected Linkind

« Last Edit: October 06, 2009, 07:37 PM by Perry Mowbray »

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #24 on: October 01, 2009, 10:03 AM »