topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Monday March 18, 2024, 10:52 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Simple form using visual web developer  (Read 10261 times)

h0meopathic

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Simple form using visual web developer
« on: July 24, 2009, 02:58 PM »
I'm trying to learn the basics and to do a project. The project requires that I have a web form which allows the user to input their name and such and hit the submit button. Upon hitting the submit button the information is sent to the database. I have a database ready to go, a datalayer but i'm unsure about sending the information. I've been able to view the table through gridview but not much else.

I've been looking for a tutorial to do just what i'm trying to do in my project but haven't got much luck. If i could just get the skinny doing something as simple as inputting a name in a textbox, pressing submit, and the string from the textbox shoing up in the appropriate field in the db table, that would be awesome and I could figure out the rest.

tinjaw

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Simple form using visual web developer
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2009, 03:32 PM »
I don't know of any, but this google search seems to have some hits.

I don't know if you are just new to Visual Web Developer/ASP or if you are new to database development as a whole. If the latter, then you may not know that what you are doing is considered CRUD. That term may help you filter out generalized tutorials on the subject.

h0meopathic

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2009, 03:37 PM »
Well in college I learned how to make databases in Access and I learned how to make webpages using HTML and script. however, I never got any classes putting them together. So, I'm sort of in the dark.

I'm going to be looking as well, but if you find something really pertinate to what i'm doing, please pot the URL.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2009, 03:41 PM by h0meopathic »

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2009, 04:19 PM »
If you don't have to use ASP or .NET it may be worth you looking at the following book:

http://www.sitepoint...com/books/phpmysql4/

They aren't the cheapest books in the world but all of the SitePoint books I have bought/looked at have been very good.

h0meopathic

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2009, 03:44 PM »
I actually went with the ASP.NET book from sitepoint.com and have been able to complete most of my webform from that book. I would Highly recommend it to anyone starting out with visual web developer and ASP.NET.

However, I've come to another standstill. I need a way to check my database and see if a record is repeated and if it's repeated twice.

I'm making a webform that will allow the user to enter his or her personal information and select a radio button of specific times.  The radio button will correspond to a SlotID in my database. When the SlotID has been used twice I need to grey out the radio button because it can no longer be selected. Any help would be nice.

khrustal

• Participant
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2010, 01:08 PM »
I actually went with the ASP.NET book from sitepoint.com and have been able to complete most of my webform from that book. I would Highly recommend it to anyone starting out with visual web developer and ASP.NET.

ASP.NET is very interesting and practical. I would like to find more good books about it. Preferably the disk, thanks for any link.  :-[

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2010, 08:38 AM »
http://www.sitepoint.com/books/aspnet3/ - $44.95
http://www.sitepoint...om/books/aspnetant1/ - $39.99

Those are the only two asp.net books I saw for sale on the site.  HTH