topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday April 23, 2024, 3:41 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Need to downsample multiple page .tiffs - any suggestions??  (Read 4852 times)

Lolipop Jones

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I have several hundred .tif files which were created by feeding pages into an office printer/scanner set at 600 dpi.  Each file is 30-50 pages long.

Now I need to downsample them to 300 dpi (don't ask why.....grrrrrrrr) and if possible I sure don't want to have to unpack each file into its separate pages, resample them one page at a time, and then repack.

Anyone on DC know of a program that will downsample a multi page .tif as a single file?  Doesn't have to be free but needs to be reasonable ($150 or less)

thanks!!!
Today's problems were yesterday's solutions....

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Need to downsample multiple page .tiffs - any suggestions??
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2009, 02:29 PM »
- I would say IrfanView should be able to batch convert the collection, but I don't know, as I don't have any .tifs.

File > Batch Conversion/Rename... > Output Format + Use Advanced Options > set DPI Value > Miscellaneous > Apply Changes To All Pages if TIF saving

:tellme:

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2009, 09:20 PM »
If all else fails, ImageMagick :-* ( www.imagemagick.org ) will do that using the following command line:

------------------------------------------------------------------------
convert -resample 300x300 original_filename.tiff new_filename.tiff
------------------------------------------------------------------------

This command basically says: convert the designated TIFF file by resampling it @ 300X300 DPI and saving it with the supplied new name. This ation will not affect the image size. If you start with an 8½ x 11 image @ 600DPI, you'll end up with an 8½ x 11 image @ 300 DPI .

Note: ImageMagick is a bit on the geeky side (i.e. command line) so I'd definitely go with Curt's suggestion and try IrfanView first. Especially since setting up a script to do batch processing in ImageMagick might be a chore if you don't have much scripting experience. IrfanView is a lot easier to get a handle on, and has a fairly straight forward batch conversion feature.

Plus, it has a GUI! :) (Yay!)

Luck!

« Last Edit: June 10, 2009, 09:34 PM by 40hz »

tabletguy

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2009, 02:35 AM »
Well, many OCR programs will do that for example, and you'd end up owning a useful program also.

I use ReadIris Pro, which automatically will downres tiffs, etc. Then, just resave as a new multi-page tiff. Takes about 2 seconds total (or less) for 50 pages on version 12. Version 11 also does it, but just a little slower.