topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 5:36 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Texter (LifeHacker)  (Read 8366 times)

jeromy

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Texter (LifeHacker)
« on: March 29, 2009, 10:23 AM »
The creator of Texter (text replacement software with some scripting abillity) posted the entire AHK code so someone will hopefully help his program develop.

I thought this might be a good challenge for coder here to tackle!

Texter: http://lifehacker.co...r-windows-238306.php
Details: http://lifehacker.co...code-moved-to-github
AHK Code: http://github.com/ad...h/texter/tree/master

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Texter (LifeHacker)
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2009, 01:58 PM »
Very cool  :Thmbsup:

Just to save people the trouble of visiting the links to learn what Texter is, Texter is a popular autohotkey utility coded by the people over at lifehacker to do text replacements.  User brings up Texter and types a few letters, and the program expands it into some full text inside a target program. Makes it easier to use common phrases and text in things like email programs, etc.

BigJim

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • I have seen the light!
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2009, 11:52 PM »
Unfortunately I have neither the time nor the skill to help with this. :onfire:  But I've been using Texter for at least a couple of years and can attest to its value. I sure hope that some of the clever coders here can lend a hand especially as Jeromy did a nice job of bragging about dc on the Lifehacker site.
TruckerJim says "You can go down a hill too slow a thousand times. But too fast only once."

unreal_ed

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2009, 05:05 AM »
It would be really nice if someone was updating this app.

Sometimes, it takes a little while to replace the text and so the replaced word is in the middle of the next one, the one you were typing. I'm sure its happened to you at least once, and having to go back to fix this kind of defeats the purpose of the app.

It'd also be great if we could export the bundles or all the hotstrings with a button. I know it's feasible by going in the Program Files folder but that's definitely NOT user-friendly.

Finally, a check mark in the options to turn off the autocorrection would be great. Because, sometimes, I type in french and the texter autocomplete kind of gets in my way. Actually, it'd be great if the default autocorrections were in a default "autocorrection" bundle.

Here's hoping someone hears me out and works on this really fantastic, really productive app.

mark321114

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2009, 04:58 AM »
It would be really nice if someone was updating this app.

Yep.. I totally agree with that. Probably add in the language pack in as well and a set of ready made codes, or maybe just update some bundles on the website, like a email bundle, html bundle, programming bundle etc. I'm sure it will be of use to lazy people just like me  :D Cheers.

unreal_ed

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2009, 07:46 AM »
In the meantime, I've created a site called the Texter Db.

It's a place for people to post their favorite hotstrings, be it for abbreviations, spell check, scripts, etc. I also created a page where people can suggest what to include in the next versions of Texter (hopefully, it'll motivate someone to update the application).

The website's not yet done, so if something doesn't work, plz forgive me, I haven't had the time to finish setting everything up.

(also, plz tell you friends about the site ;)

EDIT: The website's almost done. Just need to relook it but it's completely functional otherwise.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2009, 04:47 AM by unreal_ed »

jity2

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2009, 10:28 AM »
Hi,

By the time a texter is available, I am using PhraseExpress. It is freeware for non commercial use.
http://www.phraseexpress.com

See ya ;)

sri

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Sridhar Katakam
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2009, 01:14 PM »
PhraseExpress > *