topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 9:24 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: [idea] hotkey toggles alias "lock"  (Read 5146 times)

Nod5

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
[idea] hotkey toggles alias "lock"
« on: February 07, 2009, 01:18 PM »
the idea: For some (but not most) searches it would be good if FARR could "lock" an alias and go into "don't hide after executing a match"-mode.

Example: I create the alias "mp3" to search only some music folders so that "mp3 artistname" returns matches from just those folders. After typing "mp3" I press a hotkey and FARR toggles to alias lock mode. Executing a match or pressing Esc in that mode only clears the text after "mp3 " from the input box and does not minimize FARR. After some more searches I press the hotkey to toggle back to standard mode.

That would be very useful when doing a number of consecutive searches using one and the same alias. For example, when using FARR to find different music tracks to add to a playlist, searching for different images to copy, and so on.

The lock mode could be indicated by changing input box background color. Or by changing the alias font color. Toggling back returns the colors to normal.

Typing "mp3" a few times extra is no big problem of course. But the suggested mode would speed things up even more. Does anyone else think this would be useful?

(extra idea: custom launch actions (i.e. custom action for FARR to do when pressing Enter or doubleclicking a match) has been discussed before. If we had that then it would be similarly useful if temporary custom launch actions could also be toggled like that. Example: when again search for tracks to add to a playlist, I somehow toggle to choose among some (preconfigured) actions ("add item to playlist in player X", "copy to external device F:\" and so on). Then just like the folder restricting alias this launch mode stays active until toggled off.)

d4ni

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: [idea] hotkey toggles alias "lock"
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2009, 02:21 PM »
Interesting idea. I can see how this is useful for people who use aliases the way you describe. I am not one of them, though, but it's a good idea and I don't think it would be hard to add.

nitrix-ud

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2009, 09:41 AM »
good idea +1

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2009, 12:37 PM »
until implemented, some tips might help:
Hold Control to launch and not close
Hit Ctrl+Backspace to delete last word in the search bar

Nod5

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2009, 03:45 PM »
Thanks mouser for reminding about ctrl+backspace. I should switch to that from ctrl+shift+left to select then backspace, which does the same but in more steps.

I can't get ctrl+enter to work though ( see https://www.donation...ex.php?topic=12973.0 ). Ctrl+[a number] works fine.

nitrix-ud

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2009, 03:01 AM »
ctrl+enter never worked... this is just in mouser's mind... maybe because it has been resquested so many times  :D