topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 11:05 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: 2008 - wins, failures, and... of Open Source  (Read 5057 times)

housetier

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
2008 - wins, failures, and... of Open Source
« on: December 24, 2008, 06:25 AM »
I didn't want to just copy the original title, hence this lame version

winfailmeh.gif

This article does not uncover surprising fact, but is a nice short summary. Naturally it leaves out things that are superimportant to others, but oh well.

With 2008 coming to an end, heise online UK picks what was full of win, who was waiting for the failboat, and who just made us go meh. So in no particular order, here are the Wins, the Fails and the Mehs of Open Source from 2008.

Mentioned are for example: SCO, Debian (twice), and GPL.

Some of the events I have been following since the very beginning (SCO), some I read past when they appeared in my feed reader, and others didn't and still don't interest me.

And with regard to the problems of the Debian community I think we at Donationcoder are doing a terrific job at keeping modest, friendly, helpful and still productive. It is not easy for a huge community as ours to be as stable as we are. Sometimes I think it's a miracle; at least we very unique. We should be proud of what we have accomplished thus far!  :Thmbsup: :up: :-* :D :mrgreen: :greenclp:

« Last Edit: December 24, 2008, 06:30 AM by housetier »

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: 2008 - wins, failures, and... of Open Source
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2008, 11:57 PM »
I'd like to say thanks to housetier for, among other things, helping to keep DC active in Open Source discussions -- I think it's healthy for this forum. Glad to have you here buddy  :Thmbsup: