topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday April 18, 2024, 12:42 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: FIREFOX-PRIVACY PROBLEMS-HELP  (Read 5365 times)

BC5

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
FIREFOX-PRIVACY PROBLEMS-HELP
« on: August 21, 2008, 01:03 AM »

This is about the latest Firefox version.

When I begin to type www.gmail.com and if I have previously visited the Gmail site, then Firefox also shows the Login Name that I typed during my last visit. I believe this infringes my privacy because if I'm using a Login Name that I do not wish to disclose, another person using my computer to access Gmail or any other Email will see this. This wasn't the case with the previous version of FireFox.

I don't wish to completely disable the 'Auto-Complete' feature. I want to be able to quickly access websites previously visited by me, instead of having to type the whole name, but I also don't want Firefox to show the contents of what I visited on that particular webpage in the Address bar.

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: FIREFOX-PRIVACY PROBLEMS-HELP
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2008, 02:23 AM »
I don't wish to completely disable the 'Auto-Complete' feature. I want to be able to quickly access websites previously visited by me, instead of having to type the whole name, but I also don't want Firefox to show the contents of what I visited on that particular webpage in the Address bar.

Tools->Options->Privacy

Tick "Always clear my private data when I close Firefox"

Hit the Select button next to it and tick "Saved Form and Search History", (un)tick anything else you want or don't want.

Then OK you way out.

Or, Tools->Options->Privacy and Untick "Remember what I enter in forms and search bar".

Should be one or the other - if I read you correctly, the thing you don't want it to clear is your Browsing History.

AFAIK, Firefox has always had the ability to do this, (at least from v1.2 IIRC), but it might have been reset by an update.

I think, however, that if you have a user/password saved for a site it will override that setting so you can log in without having to enter your details.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2008, 02:31 AM by 4wd »

BC5

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2008, 07:02 PM »
Thanks, but these suggestions don't help. I don't wish to clear my private data, because if I've visited a site and accessed some links, then I want to be able to quickly access them again or know what I accessed in the past.

My problem is that for example if i vist www.craigslist.com - It has many sections. Now if I clicked on say "Rants and Raves", and clicked on some controversial discussion, then if someone using my computer types www.craigslist...., the discussion which I had visited, including the title of that discussion is shown in the address bar. That's what I don't want. This wasn't the case with the previous version of Firefox. If you have the latest version of FF, then try doing the same with Craigslist or some other site.

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2008, 09:46 PM »
You could try...

1. Type about:config in the Address Bar.
   2. Click "I’ll be careful, I promise!".
   3. Search for browser.urlbar.maxRichResults in the list.
   4. Double click on browser.urlbar.maxRichResults.
   5. Set the number to 0.
   6. Click OK.

BC5

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2008, 03:44 AM »
<Click "I’ll be careful, I promise!".>

what do i have to be careful about?

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2008, 04:49 PM »
<Click "I’ll be careful, I promise!".>

what do i have to be careful about?

it's just a disclaimer because you're going into the belly of the beast where things work via text as opposed to GUI
Tom