topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 5:06 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: OK - lets get to know each other... who are you, what do you do, where from?  (Read 1020904 times)

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Hi all,

my name is Wolfgang, I am from Germany. I am 41 years old and computers are just a hobby, not my profession.
I have come across this forum, when I searched for tips on programming/scripting: AutoHotKey -> Skrommel -> DonationCoder
My impression is: DC is the friendliest place on the net.

hi Wolfgang!
Tom

markfarrar

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Hi!

I've been a member of DC for about a year now.  I joined because I found some software here (can't remember what it was now), and made my donation immediately.

I'm English, but moved to the US about two years ago, having resigned from a senior job at a major UK credit card company to work from home with my wife.

I started my Data Processing (there's a term that dates me!) career back in 1979 when I began as a trainee PL/I programmer for an insurance company, and used other programming languages such as Assembler (but only enough to convince me it was too much work!), COBOL, DMS and EasyTrieve.  Later, once I'd moved to the credit card company, I worked with FOCUS a lot, as well as more COBOL, and then started developing intranet sites using the usual HTML and JavaScript.

I launched my own personal website (http://www.MarkFarrar.co.uk/) at the end of 1997, and since then have developed many websites for myself (e.g. http://www.MagicSquaresBook.com/, http://www.1StepMLM.com/), friends (e.g. http://www.MurderNights.com/) and latterly, as our main source of income.  Unfortunately, some of these sites (e.g. my own personal site and the MLM one) have got a bit out of date because of the recent focus on money-making websites.

Our primary online business is selling dog health products, especially relating to the treatment of Canine Parvovirus, although other ailments such as heartworm, kennel cough, feline distemper and others are catered for.  We run two sites (http://www.ParvoBuster.com/ and http://www.ParvoEmergencyTreatment.com), wrote a free book about Parvo (http://www.ParvoBook.com/DonationCoder), and recently launched our own affiliate program (http://www.ParvoBusterAffiliates.com/).

I use PHP extensively on my sites, as to cater for our target audience, we have to do a lot of the thinking for them and that involves some complex behind-the-scenes programming / calculations (e.g. http://www.ParvoBust...product-selector.php).

I'm always on the look-out for software to make life easier / save time, which is why I always look forward to the DC newsletter - you just never know what you'll find in each issue!

Anyway, if there are any dog lovers out there, do yourselves a favour and at least download our free book about Parvo - it could save your dog's life!

Thanks for this great site, and best wishes,

Mark.

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Hi!
I've been a member of DC for about a year now.
I'm English
Anyway, if there are any dog lovers out there, do yourselves a favour and at least download our free book about Parvo - it could save your dog's life!
Hello Mark, nice to see you here.
I'm English too, been hanging out in Canada for the past 30 years or so.
I'll take up your offer of the book as we have two dogs at the moment.
Have fun on Donation Coder!

Jammo the OrganizedFellow

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • OrganizedFellow
    • Donate to Member
My name is Jaime (not jay-mee ... its spanish, pronounced hi-me) ...
anyhoo. Lived in El Paso TX for most of my life. Met the love of my life through my own website years ago. im a struggling freelance webdeveloper living and coping with ADD & hypomania/bipolar syndome.

its very frequent for me to shoot through many tangents during any one post, haha.

we now live in Fort Worth TX. we are the proud parents of Isabella Hazel, our new three month old daughter.
Ive worked for Costco Wholesale for four years now.
As an aspiring web developer/designer, it is a constant struggle to cope with my ADHD + Hypomania/Bipolar Disorder.

The slow growth of my web dev projects is eclipsed by my patience, understanding and desire to learn AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE as I slowly progress.

X_____jamjammo_____

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Welcome Mark and Jaime! Glad to have both of you here and hope to see more of you on the "boards"  :Thmbsup:

dspelley

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • But it's a dry heat.
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Grew up in New England, spent a few years on a Navy submarine (WWII vintage) and then moved to AZ to finish a degree in Chemical Engineering in the mid-1970's.

Spent hours in a room filled with card-punch machines building card decks to run batch FORTRAN programs for class. In one of our labs we had a DEC PDP series computer - all of the I/O was through a teletype-like keyboard with a long roll of paper. Both input and output were typed onto that paper roll - no monitor. Programs were stored on and loaded from long thin strips of paper punched with holes. Had to make sure you made a new strip once in a while because the holes sometimes got worn or torn and generated errors.

In the early '80s I bought a Times Sinclair 1000 computer for about $80. http://oldcomputers.net/ts1000.html Came with 2K RAM (that's right- 2 K!) that could be expanded with a plug-in RAM module up to 64K. Programs had to be stored on a standard cassette tape recorder - nightmare!

I started working for a large energy company and was thrilled when I got a dual-floppy IBM PC that could run Lotus 1-2-3 and IBM DisplayWriter software. Taught myself some assembler language and wrote a bunch of goofy little utilities for my own use - had to write one to convert DisplayWriter files from EBCDIC to ASCII because the files often got corrupted.

Thought I was in Heaven when I was given an IBM PC/XT with a 10MB hard drive - couldn't image how I would ever use that much storage!

As my engineering work took more and more of my time, I had less and less time to learn and/or program in the newer languages of the time(C, Pascal, etc). Now I manage a pretty active R&D program for my company and am basically a user/consumer of software rather than an author.

I do still look for and try lots of software and really appreciate the experience and recommendations of all the other DC folks.
We are at the very beginning of time for the human race. It is not unreasonable that we grapple with problems. But there are tens of thousands of years in the future. Our responsibility is to do what we can, learn what we can, improve the solutions, and pass them on.
--- Richard Feynman (1918-1988)
« Last Edit: November 08, 2007, 03:58 PM by dspelley »

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Welcome to Donationcoder, dspelley!

leland

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I am 38 and am a system and network administrator for a small business in Chico, CA.  I have been into computers since I was in grade school where we had Apple IIe computers.  When I graduated from 8th grade my grandfather bought me a C-64 with monitor but no storage device.  I spent the next year learning to program and would write programs, play with them and then shut it down each night to start over again the next day.  I learned much from this.  Eventually I got a disk drive and printer and was able to write much larger prorgams.  I remember for Christmas one year I got a Simon's Basic module which greatly expanded what I could program and gave me the ability to write structured basic programs.  With that I wrote my own CAD program for fun.  I don't do much programming these days except scripting; although I help some friends with their code occasionally.  I love to try out new software and especially have a passion for free software of all sorts, be it freeware or open source.  I have been a member here for quite some time, but I don't have ton's of time to post the way I would like.  When I do find products I like I do like to share about them on various forums including here.  Well that's about it for now.

Leland
:D

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Welcome leland to DC.com - do join in the forums (I see you have already and that's great).

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Yes, welcome leland

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
When I graduated from 8th grade my grandfather bought me a C-64 with monitor but no storage device.  I spent the next year learning to program and would write programs, play with them and then shut it down each night to start over again the next day.

That's a perfect example of what it means to have the soul of a coder.  :-*

LLKK

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
hello, I am from Italy, I joined because of Url snooper  :-* I am a big user of it, lol.
I never posted, I never even studied anything related to computers but I love my pc and I hope it will love me back  ;)

I recently got a Mac and I hope to find some good software for it too, all my searches picked no results on useful programs and free software.

I apologize for not introducing myself before  :-[

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Hi LLKK - welcome!!
... I think there's one or two mac users here :D

I apologize for not introducing myself before  :-[

no need at all :)  :up:
Tom

Rhutobello

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Another Norwegian signing in...64 years of age....and like to surf around the world on the net ...(hmmm might it be that that is the cheapest way ?  :-\

I have no site of my own, but are active on
http://www.mysticboard.com/
which is about all magic here in life.

I tried out one of your programs and found confident in supporting the site and idea.

Since this is the last day in the year I wish you all a

Happy New Year

and hope many new and active members find their way here in 2008  :Thmbsup:

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Thanks for the friendly wishes, Rhutobello ! And welcome to DC !
I hope you'll find it a nice place to hang out, think and share...  :)

os9user

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Hello everyone,

My real name is George Proulx. I own and operate the OS9USER News Room. We are looking to promote process tamer as it most certainly passed all our tests. We have wrote about this product before on our news site.

Anyways, I am looking for a banner or button to insert on our news site. I found process tamer in the Google News, now it is well past time we try to support this great software ourselves. As I do have the National Media's Ear, It is my hope to make this software much more popular than it is.

I'll prowl around this site when I have more time, to find what I am looking for. Promise.

To the authors of this great program, Absolutely Excellent job in developing it , and making it work so very well under windows. I can not think of anything to make an already great product even greater. You did it all the 1st time. (You could teach Microsoft a few things or two !)

Again Job Well Done,
We will be in touch again shortly.

OS9USER

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
hi os9user! welcome to the forums.. that sounds like a good review on Process Tamer, how about a link to the article? btw about those promotional banners, here is the link.. :Thmbsup:

https://www.donationcoder.com/About/PromoUserBars/

os9user

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Thank you !

I'll take a look at that link now, and reference the forum from our site with a link.

os9user

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
You may read your review from or News Room at http://os9user.blogs...are-for-windows.html

I can not seem to find the hyperlink button  >:(

Please keep us up to speed on any new developements !

OS9USER

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I can not seem to find the hyperlink button

i don't quite understand what you want. do you want some kind of code containing the image info to paste onto your webpage? you can just save the images to your server, it's better that way..

os9user

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
A banner or button so my readers can click on it, go goto your website.

Sure, I have a domain, I can host the images.

I do watch my banners carefully, so if I host the image that would be much better, as some of them disappear rather abruptly ...

Zip up what you have, and email me all of them, or I will thumb thru what you have, trying to decide the best fit for my site.

The idea here , is for users to click on it, to goto your website. That's it.

Thank you for the timely reply

BrandiniMP

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Hey all

Im Brandon AKA BrandiniMP

im 15 and im from England.

Im a VB6 coder (i like the old skool), i dabble in PHP and Delphi

im help alot of people (if i can) with their computing problems

im available on MSN most of the time via Brandon{at}BrandiniMP.com
and at the same address for email

i can also be contacted on Xfire via BrandiniMP.

id like to thank Brandon (wreckedcarzz) for telling me about the community.

im hopefully going to contribute alot (or try)  :D

Thanks

PS. id like to go by the name BrandiniMP (since there seem to be a few Brandons)  :P
« Last Edit: January 20, 2008, 12:02 AM by BrandiniMP »

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
hi Brandon/BrandiniMP
reading your post I was thinking - have to tell him about the other Brandon -
but see you know him already... :)
anyways, welcome :Thmbsup:
Tom
Tom
« Last Edit: January 20, 2008, 05:33 AM by tomos »

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Yes - I had the same reaction as Tom! Wecome to the site, BrandiniMP

I take it that your user name should be read "Brandini MP"? I keep reading it as "Brandin IMP"! At any rate, welcome to DC and hope to see more of you around here  :Thmbsup:

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I keep reading it as "Brandin IMP"!

the the "i"PRODUCT name-craze i guess
Tom