topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 7:59 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: optimizing network usage? NetworkTamer?  (Read 5560 times)

d0s4d1

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
optimizing network usage? NetworkTamer?
« on: December 19, 2007, 01:26 AM »
I have *no* idea how hard this idea is or if it's a seperate program or could be an enhancement to ProcessTamer . . . but . .

It would be so cool if I could optimize my crappy internet connection in a way similar to ProcessTamer's optimization of CPU usage. I could set my webcam programs to get High priority to network resources, set Thunderbird to Low to keep it working unobtrusively in the background, set Firefox to be High when it's in the forground and Low in the background, etc.

I know Windoze has the process priority concept built in, and I'm not sure if my idea crosses into QoS or things like that which are not really supported in Windoze, so I don't know how feasible this is without creating some kind of driver or low-level thing that intercepts network calls and then prioritizes them before letting the system send them through the network card, but it would be really really cool.

Basically ProcessTamer is great software that helps me overload my slow, old, computers and I wish there were a similar utility to let me get more out of my slow, crappy, internet connection!

Anyway, thank you to DonationCoder because I'm very appriciative of you sharing all this great software

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: optimizing network usage? NetworkTamer?
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2007, 05:41 AM »
QoS is supported just fine in Windows, the problem is most third-party programs aren't coded for QoS.

I used cFosSpeed for a bit, and it seemed to work. Then, after a windows reinstall, it didn't seem to do much... but this kind of thing also has to do with other traffic on your network, your router, etc...

Note: cFos does more than just traffic shaping by throttling your apps (which other apps like netlimiter also do), it can reorder network packets, and move ACKnowledge packets to the front - this makes quite a difference if you're, say, using a SSH connection to a remote machine while also having your bandwidth nearly maxed out.
- carpe noctem
« Last Edit: December 19, 2007, 05:44 AM by f0dder »