topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 3:34 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Wallpaper Manager?  (Read 16941 times)

siouxdax

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • Lather. Rinse. Repeat.
    • View Profile
    • Non-Event: The Daniel Headrick Saga
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Wallpaper Manager?
« on: December 15, 2007, 06:05 AM »
Does anyone know of a good freeware wallpaper manager? Currently I have to open Windows Explorer, go to the folder where I keep my wallpapers, find the one I want, then right-clicking on it to select "set as desktop background". I use xplorer2 as my file manager, and it doesn't have that capability. I don't really need or want my wallpaper to change ever so often, I just want a good, simple app to manage and set my wallpapers.

Thanks in advance. You folks rock!
Kind Regards,
Daniel in Tulsa
AKA siouxdax

Visit my tumblog!

doublewitt

• Participant
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Wallpaper Manager?
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2007, 06:32 AM »
Here is a wallpaper manager we had to pay for but now has become a FREEWARE.
It's called MuralPix. It could possibly meet your needs.

« Last Edit: December 15, 2007, 10:10 AM by doublewitt »

siouxdax

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • Lather. Rinse. Repeat.
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2007, 07:08 AM »
I hate to say this, but both of those programs are the type that I'm trying to avoid. I just want to be able to look at thumbnails with filenames, ability to sort by name and date, and a simple button to apply the selected pic as the background. No screensavers. The only thing I liked about MuralPix was the ability to exclude subfolders.
Kind Regards,
Daniel in Tulsa
AKA siouxdax

Visit my tumblog!

doublewitt

• Participant
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2007, 08:13 AM »
Ok - I understand. Actually, I have several wallpaper changers. I guess I should have thought of this one that shows thumbnails as you say. It's called WPChanger (freeware). It's no longer developed but works fine! It has the screensaver option but you can disable it. You can set up thumbnails from a folder and create different lists and you can also insert thumbnails one-by-one. Simply double-click any thumbnail and that's what you will see as a wallpaper. Also, you can disable the "cycling" process and proceed to choose which wallpaper you want by viewing the thumbnails. By disabling the other features [screensaver, auto-cycling], you have the basic thumbnail viewer with fast selection and double-click or (F9) setup for your collection of wallpapers. Maybe you will like this one...

http://img129.imageshack.us/img129/9751/20071215091807en3.jpg
Wallpaper Manager?
« Last Edit: December 15, 2007, 08:38 AM by doublewitt »

doublewitt

• Participant
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2007, 09:57 AM »
You might be wondering what to do with the list that you can make.... it seems that there is only one list available... well, here's a work-around I use.

Before loading lots of pictures, first save a "BLANK" list to the directory where you store the WPChanger lists naming it as "BLANK". It would look like [BLANK.wcp]. Whenever you want to make a new list or category of pictures, simply load the "BLANK" file and insert your wallpaper pics. Afterwards, you can save it with a different name. But the "BLANK" file always remains there to quickly start a new list. This is simple and fun to use... any comments...?

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2007, 01:03 PM »
- or go to http://www.programur...change-wallpaper.htm

Edit

-or to SnapFiles:
WallShuffler is a simple wallpaper changer that allows you to alternate between a selection of desktop backgrounds. The program can update your wallpaper every time you start Windows, or manually from the system tray. A feature that makes this (otherwise mediocre) application stand out, is the ability to apply various image effects to the wallpaper, without changing the original image.

- one of many, and maybe or maybe not the one for you
« Last Edit: December 15, 2007, 01:53 PM by Curt »

doublewitt

• Participant
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2007, 04:40 PM »
Wallpaper Managers, it's incredible what a long list you can find...! There's enough there to keep you busy for a long time.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2007, 11:18 PM by doublewitt »

Nighted

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Meat Popsicle
    • View Profile
    • Nighted@deviantART
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2007, 02:20 AM »
I've seen lots of wallpaper changers. Some are great, some are complete excrement.

Here are 3 that I find very good.

Clint's Wallpaper Master (has a cool cropping and backdrop feature *Requires .NET)
CWPM.png

Kana WallChanger
Kana.png

Wallpaper Master (I use the Pro version)
WPM.pngWPMP.png
I`m a firm believer in the philosophy of a ruling class, especially since I rule.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2007, 02:27 AM by Nighted »

mnemonic

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • My website
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2007, 04:33 AM »
I really like John's Background Switcher (Donationware) for this kind of thing:

http://www.johnsadve...e/backgroundswitcher

Can keep track of folder's containing wallpapers and can even download wallpapers from Flickr and Picasa based on keywords.

Actively developed too!

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2007, 06:06 PM »
personally i like Paper Plus 9.3.1 but check out this great mini-review on Wallpaper Master.

doublewitt

• Participant
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2007, 05:01 PM »
I've seen lots of wallpaper changers. Some are great, some are complete excrement.

When I read this remark, this is what I looked like!
Good grief, I thought that was funny...

http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/7294/36116hj9.gif
Wallpaper Manager?

I also have Wallpaper Master - but - there is something in the WPChanger that I like a bit more and that's the ability to see thumbnails of each wallpaper. Wallpaper Master has it set up in a way that you have to click on items in a list to see the preview - that's Ok, I guess, but I'd rather see the thumbnail and click on it instead. And so with WPChanger, instead of seeing long lists and wondering "what is that?" and then constantly clicking everywhere to see the actual thumbnail preview, WPChanger directly "cues" you into thumbnail view and then you quickly proceed to selection [view and select] - no more clicking everywhere to see what the picture is. WPChanger also allows for a resizable preview pane (drag the corner) that you can see alongside the viewer. WPChanger is definately more simple but that's the way I like it. And so I use this one...

http://img149.imageshack.us/img149/7185/20071217201516am3.jpg
Wallpaper Manager?

http://img529.imageshack.us/img529/4233/20071217203000ts1.jpg
Wallpaper Manager?
« Last Edit: December 17, 2007, 07:39 PM by doublewitt »

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2007, 10:48 AM »
I have been using Webshots Pro/Premium for many years, and I still don't want anything else - Webshots is just the right one for me, and I really like how easy it is to add new pictures from http://www.Webshots.com's remarkable Photo Gallery or from my PC. The program is never updated, but it doesn't need to, so who cares.

TheWebshotsDesktop.gifWallpaper Manager?

twd2.gif

twd3.gifWallpaper Manager?

http://www.webshots.com/

siouxdax

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • Lather. Rinse. Repeat.
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2007, 07:28 AM »
Firstly, my most sincere apologies for the delay in my reply. Second, I am so overwhelmed by the replies with tons and tons of information about the myriad of programs to manage wallpapers. Slowly though, I am going through them and trying them out. As one of you said, there are a few good ones, and a lot that's just pure excrement. He was right about that. Some of these just confuse me as to why they were made the way they made. :)

Thank you so much for all the help!

Kind Regards,
Daniel in Tulsa
Kind Regards,
Daniel in Tulsa
AKA siouxdax

Visit my tumblog!

CleverCat

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2007, 01:24 AM »
Webshots free does it for me and it does update... :Thmbsup:

VampireRat

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2007, 10:19 PM »
I saved a copy of the old Webshots installer, and I'm glad I did, because it's my preferred wallpaper manager.  The cool thing about the older version is that it creates a file in C:\Windows called WebshotsforUsername.bmp (substitute your user name), which becomes whatever wallpaper I have chosen from the manager, including normally non-downloadable pro shots from the Webshots website.  If I want, I can save the .BMPs and convert them to JPGs.

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2007, 05:16 AM »
Hey VampireRat (?!!!), if you have an old copy, you must be the guy who can show a picture of the old Webshots icon, you know the camera with a coloured dot in the lense. I need such an icon but didn't think of keeping it when I updated to the new version. Please?