topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday April 18, 2024, 12:15 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: IDEA: Use scroll lock LED as hard drive indicator  (Read 44702 times)

Waxhead

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: IDEA: Use scroll lock LED as hard drive indicator
« Reply #25 on: October 31, 2007, 11:47 AM »
Hi Waxhead,

I apologize if I offended you or your program!

Maybe the term "overhead" was used in the wrong context.

I am looking for a simple program to just blink the scroll lock LED without any other features.

I appreciate programmers like you who work hard to put out quality programs for free. I have tried your program and found it to work as you have stated without any issues on my computer.

Again I sincerely apologize if you took offense to my statements.

WSD

Hehehe don't take it so hard :) I just had the impression that you was complaining about something that was simply not true (I was under the impression that you meant that DriveGLEAM was to slow / made your system slow who is nearly impossible).
You can use DriveGLEAM to show activity on the scroll lock key but, beware to do this as systemfriendly as possible without any hacks DriveGLEAM have to simulate a real keypress = screensavers might not work. Since many programs never use scroll lock for anything useful I use this solution for now until enough people complain about it ;)
Feel free to ask me to build a program that only shows hard-drive activity on scroll lock and I might fix one for you (for free off course) but please give me a good reason why you can't use DriveGLEAM to do the same thing. DriveGLEAM is only 80kb (~0.08 Megabyte) notepad for windows is ca 70kb. Also DriveGLEAM is written 100% in C so it should be rather fast and the other features in DriveGLEAM does not consume any resources if they are not in use (except a few kb of memory).
If you (or anyone else for that matter) feel to discuss this you can talk to me on http://forum.dirtcellar.net
PS! good to hear that someone still appreciate free software :D

AHMalik

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: November 05, 2007, 02:00 PM »
Now KeyBoards having multimedia, Net & a lot of new buttons.
Lets hope someone may come fwd.
HDD LED is not that important as "Insert" button activation is for typing.
If erroneously press once, while inserting you may have lost a lot of your text.
I have asked so many professionals [who ask new ideas] but no one have
ever acknowledged.

Is there a gentle-man to come FWD.

BigJim

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • I have seen the light!
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: November 05, 2007, 02:33 PM »
Your request seems 'off-topic'. Nevertheless:

Suggestion 1 - Find one of the many key mapper utilities and remap the Insert key to something less of a problem for you.

Suggestion 2 - Use a key logger. Despite their nasty reputation (when used by bad guys) they can be very handy when your problem occurs or you have a crash in the middle of important work. I have one running all the time. It has saved my bacon on several occasions.

Suggestion 3 - Go out and buy a book and teach yourself to touch type. It's amazingly easy to accomplish. Two weeks of two 15 minutes practice sessions a day and you off and running. Then you will be looking at the screen as you type (instead of the keyboard) and see your error immediately.

Have fun! 
TruckerJim says "You can go down a hill too slow a thousand times. But too fast only once."

AaZmaN

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: September 24, 2008, 05:47 AM »
If you still did not find a good one you can try this one...
It has really good response time..

wetsmellydog

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #29 on: September 25, 2008, 11:29 AM »
Thanks for keeping the thread alive. I will try it and let you know what I think.

PS I still enable/disable DriveGLEAM as needed.  :D