topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Sunday June 16, 2024, 6:39 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Recent Posts

Pages: prev1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 ... 114next
Mini-Reviews by Members / Re: Google Reader - Mini-Review
« Last post by J-Mac on March 17, 2013, 08:22 PM »
Now it changed again.... but not for the better. It appears that they found my import file, but.... I now have 38,901 ahead of me. So somehow about 34,000 jumped the line! I tried to cancel but it won't let me while awaiting the import.

Jim
« Last post by J-Mac on March 17, 2013, 08:14 PM »
Iain, I did that last night - wasn’t too sure if it would work or not. I guessed on the .xml file, since it is the closest thing I could find to an OPML file. However I had over 4,000 ahead of me!

Thank you.

Jim

Oh crap - TheOldReader totally sucks! Now it tells me I have no subscriptions imported. Just this afternoon I had a little over 4,000 still ahead of me in their "queue". Note on my Home page says "Bad news, some queue positions got messed up again. We fixed the issue, and we hope this was the last time it happened."

So it appears they lost my import. I am done there. They don’t seem to have any clue as to what to do. I would question the reliability of such a program.

Jim
« Last post by J-Mac on March 17, 2013, 01:09 PM »
How do you get your GR feeds into TheOldReader? GR doesn’t have an export facility anymore; instead it sends you to Google Takeout where you can only download your feeds as separate .json files. No OPML export available anymore. Apparently they killed that off back in November 2012.

Jim
General Software Discussion / Re: Someone MUST make a new PowerMarks program.
« Last post by J-Mac on March 16, 2013, 09:06 PM »
Eventually, yes. I now finally have Linkman installed on Windows rather than as a portable app!

Thanks for remembering, T.   :)

Jim
General Software Discussion / Re: Linkman 8.80 released
« Last post by J-Mac on March 16, 2013, 02:12 PM »
I can handle that!

Thanks for the instructions. Very much appreciated!

Jim
General Software Discussion / Re: Linkman 8.80 released
« Last post by J-Mac on March 16, 2013, 01:40 PM »
Looks good so far!

My one request: More control over Linkman menu and toolbar icons. In Firefox I have too many Linkman icons on my status bar (or I guess it is now called the "Add-ons Bar"). When Linkman first started adding these icons there was an extension allowing customization of the status bar icons. So I rearranged them plus did away with the "Add all tabs" button as I have never used that except by accident. Then the extension was removed so now I have the Linkman icons I rearranged plus the new ones added with every Linkman update installation. I'd like to see a checkbox for adding those icons or not. Same with the context menu icons - Linkman wants to add too many! Much better would be a submenu where hovering shows all the icons you want, but not make the overall context menu even longer.

I put in a support request for this back in April 2011 and was told that the icons would be customizable in the next Linkman version released, but I haven't seen it. If an option for this is there somewhere and I have missed it I apologize... and please tell me where it is!

Thanks!

Jim
« Last post by J-Mac on March 15, 2013, 03:30 PM »
I know all of this. Still, can't I miss it? Or must I take your attitude?

Jim
« Last post by J-Mac on March 15, 2013, 02:16 PM »
What's really a shame is that some of those "projects" were really excellent web apps that Google purchased and then killed off. So now we don’t have a Google version nor the original version.

Actually, in many cases we do.  For example, Writely is now basis for google docs editor.  Some cases they just killed them off, but in many cases they used that technology as the basis for another service (in many cases, just rebranded).

That's true, however from what I can tell they have abandoned a lot of what was really good about a lot of them and only picked what they needed. I still would prefer Writely very much over the Docs editor. But, that's what happens with free software I guess.   :(

Thanks!

Jim
« Last post by J-Mac on March 15, 2013, 12:34 AM »
What's really a shame is that some of those "projects" were really excellent web apps that Google purchased and then killed off. So now we don’t have a Google version nor the original version.

Jim
« Last post by J-Mac on March 14, 2013, 09:30 PM »
Hmm. Yeah I knew Google was trimming, but it was stuff like "Google Cooking" and "5 misc features of that". This one feels different somehow, it had a different userbase. I'll have to give this a month to shake out as part of the bigger computing landscape and see what I think later.

Oh, Google has canceled a few more "projects" then GR and "Google Cooking".... here's a few offhand:

Answers
Audio Ads
Base
Blogger Web Comments (Firefox)
Browser Sync
Catalogs
Click-to-Call
Dashboard Widgets
Deskbar
Desktop
Dictionary
Directory
Google Pack
Dodgeball
Free Search
Gadgets
Gears
GOOG-411
Hello
Image Labeler
Jaiku
Joga Bonito
Lively
Local
Mashup Editor
MK-14
Music Trends
Notebook
Pack
Page Creator
Personalized Search
Photos Screensaver
PowerMeter
Public Service Search
Rebang
Related Links
Ride Finder
SearchMash
Send to Phone
Shared Stuff
Sidewiki
Spreadsheets
University Search
U.S. Government Search
Video Player
Voice Search
Web Accelerator
Writely
X
Health
Labs
Notebook
Wave
Body
Fast Flip
Tashkeel
Browser Size
Art Project
City Tours
Google Breadcrumb
Squared
Realtime Mytracks
Script Converter
Aardvark
Sets
News Timeline
Places Directory
Google Talk Guru
Julia Map
App Inventor

And that list is at least two years old; I'm sure there have been more since then!

Jim
« Last post by J-Mac on March 14, 2013, 07:57 AM »
This is the second time that Nick has "killed" FeedDemon after I paid for the latest version. If I didn't know better I'd think it was a racket.

Jim
« Last post by J-Mac on March 13, 2013, 10:17 PM »
To add insult to the injury, Nick Bradbury killed FeedDemon too.

Yeah, I just saw Nick's tweet also. Real bummer... Now I have to find a whole other way to get my news. Rats!

Jim
General Software Discussion / Re: Listary 4 released - tons of new features
« Last post by J-Mac on March 11, 2013, 09:34 PM »
Hey, I have a LOT of software! (Just ask Darwin). And so many damn hotkeys that some are truly automatic. Sometimes I don’t even realize that one has been changed until I (automatically/unconsciously) try to use it and am suddenly surprised when another program window opens instead.   :tellme:

Jim
« Last post by J-Mac on March 11, 2013, 04:15 PM »
Yeah, but I keep hoping that someone finds one!

Jim
« Last post by J-Mac on March 11, 2013, 11:21 AM »
Grrr  Gotta find a new hotkey again! The Listary default is the key already taken by OneNote.

I hate trying out new hotkeys, mainly because there is no way to know what is taking up my existing hotkeys! I do use Marek's hotkey tool but that only tells me if a particular hotkey is in use; not what it is for. And about every other time I am trying to find a new hotkey - if the program doesn’t tell me a hotkey is already in use - I just type in the new one and cross my fingers to see what happens, and I often end up trying Win+L and locking my user out!

I guess no one knows of a utility out there yet that can tell me what hotkeys are being used by which programs? It would make things so much easier!

BTW, the new Listary Pro looks great, and I'll try it out as soon as I find a decent hotkey for it!  ;)

Thanks!

Jim
This is so great! I wish we'd see more of this. Maybe some of the lawyers on the fence will back off this crap!

Thanks!

Jim
Living Room / Re: Here is an odd windows service problem
« Last post by J-Mac on March 07, 2013, 11:48 PM »
Carol,

You may have to restore (or create) three registry entries for BCM42RLY.sys and change (or initially set) their values to 4.

See this page:  http://msmvps.com/blogs/donna/archive/2009/01/17/dell-and-broadcom-need-to-fix-this-bcm42rly-issue-on-vista-system.aspx

Jim
General Software Discussion / Re: Directory Opus 10
« Last post by J-Mac on February 20, 2013, 05:40 PM »
Josh,

I worried a bit about the high price of DOpus when I purchased it, but it seemed tro have all I wanted and more.

That was in early 2007, for V.9. Five years later was the first time I was charged for an upgrade, though the program was actually updated quite a bit - including making it Windows 7 compatible - with no associated costs.

It's a deal IMO.

Jim
Living Room / Re: I did not realize how bad Google has become
« Last post by J-Mac on February 04, 2013, 09:27 PM »
I don’t see any such setting for G+ in Google Search Settings. Are you talking about G+ settings? Or Google Account settings?

Unless you are looking at the Google Instant check off; that's not to control G+ - just the Google Instant crap.

Either way I don’t see the G+ results because I use the GM script GoogleMonkeyR, which removes all that I don’t wish to see, as well as disables the Google tracking.

Thanks!

Jim
Living Room / Re: I did not realize how bad Google has become
« Last post by J-Mac on January 29, 2013, 11:41 PM »
Yeah, I hate Google in so many ways and for so many things... yet I use it regularly.   :(

Though I do use all the measures I can find to minimize their damage. Still they manage to get in one way or another.

Jim
Living Room / Re: Chrome Subtabs Extension - Does this exist?
« Last post by J-Mac on January 29, 2013, 11:38 PM »
Do they already have such an extension in Firefox?!?! I need that extension!

Jim
General Software Discussion / Re: MS Office Subscriptions Now
« Last post by J-Mac on January 29, 2013, 11:35 PM »
Hmm.. I really, really have to take SoftMaker up on their SoftMaker Office Pro 2012 upgrade! Anyone using that now?

Thanks!

Jim
General Software Discussion / Re: My Digital Documents 2011 on BDJ Today 4-7-12
« Last post by J-Mac on January 26, 2013, 09:22 PM »
Both Filecenter and Benubird are PDF organizers only though, I believe. WaggleDMS supposedly will manage all types of documents along with PDFs. Which is exactly what I have been looking for!

Jim
General Software Discussion / Re: My Digital Documents 2011 on BDJ Today 4-7-12
« Last post by J-Mac on January 26, 2013, 10:07 AM »
Waggleimage?  Or was there something else?

No, when asked about a full document management system for all documents, not just scanned PDF files, the developer posted about an upcoming software, WaggleDMS, that they were working on. Looks like they are still working on it; web site says it is in "closed beta".  Here's the link: http://wagglesoft.com/web/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=17&Itemid=19

And here's where he described it on DC:  https://www.donationcoder.com/forum/index.php?topic=15801.msg254064#msg254064

Jim
Microsoft Vista made me really resent Microsoft in a way I never had before, purely because of their treatment of Vista Ultimate! Vista Ultimate, while costing a couple hundred more than the other editions, gave me nothing more than the Business or Pro versions, except for the promise of what were supposed to be some fantastic "Windows Vista Ultimate Extras" - which were never released! Oh, wait a minute: they actually DID release some extra language packs and a few "Ultimate Only" wallpapers. That was it. The rest of the Ultimate Extras were dropped and they quietly ended the Vista Ultimate life in early 2012. Quickest End-of-Life in Microsoft history.

Never again for me.

Jim
Pages: prev1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 ... 114next