topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Wednesday May 22, 2024, 12:42 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10next
General Software Discussion / Re: Firefox 2 hints and tips
« Last post by nobbywebfoot on November 10, 2006, 03:09 AM »
With a reference to the discussion and the side issue of English "how she is spoke (spelt/spelled)".
As a Brit I take enormous pleasure in the the huge variety of ways that English is spelt and spoken.  To me it is the clearest sign of the real LIVE international language in that we can have such differences yet still understand each other so easily.
To a Brit, having to sometimes struggle with the differences within this tiny island such as Janner, Geordie, Glaswegian, Brizl and Scouser, these differences are as nothing, except perhaps Papua Pidgin.  But the latter has the advantage of being a delight to the ears.
Language is the basic tool for communication between people and those trying to keep a language "PURE" are defeating it's purpose.
As an illustration I once heard a person trying to translate "helicopter" (a Greek derivation) into pure Welsh (sorry Cymru).  The Welsh equivalent consisted of about a dozen words and still lost something, whilst helicopter has moved on to helo, chopper, whirlybird and so on.  I am all for preserving a language, but it will not survive by becoming exclusive.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10next