topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Sunday May 5, 2024, 5:46 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10next
I realize that there are many 'Remote Desktop' programs, including the built-in Microsoft Remote Desktop and "GoToMyPC", etc., which allow a user on a network to see and control another computer. I also know that they tend to be slow, and suffer from quite a bit of 'Lag'. 

What I'm looking for is the ability to use the Keyboard & Mouse on One Computer on my Local Network to control a Second Computer, skipping the Video/Graphics - Think using a Laptop on a LAN to control a Home Theater PC - I don't need the Video/Graphics, because I'd be able to see the Keyboard & Mouse activity on my High-Def TV Screen!

I'm sure such a program must exist, but my "Google-Fu" skills have failed me!  :-[ :wallbash:
If such a beast doesn't exist, (a) It SHOULD! - and (B) It seems like it would be easy (?) to Code!

Hmm, using a Laptop via WiFi to control a HTPC? Seems like a 'Natural Match'!

Any Ideas, Suggestions, or Takers?

TIA!
Living Room / Re: Please share your favorite search engines.
« Last post by sean421 on August 15, 2008, 09:16 PM »
Likin' Hakia!

I use Wikipedia a lot, but Yahoo is still my preferred search (I like how it 'Feels' - kinda comfortable).

Google with the FireFox 'CustomizeGoogle' add-on [https://addons.mozil...US/firefox/addon/743]doesn't suck as bad as the Generic Google! And, it can HELP with the privacy issues!

ps:
RIAA Radar - Find out if an album was released by a member of the RIAA. You can search by artist, label, or album name.

The RIAA scares me!  :eusa_naughty: :harhar:
Living Room / Re: Skimp or splurge?
« Last post by sean421 on August 15, 2008, 05:29 PM »
Splurge on Good Tools - Crimpers, Multi-Tools, Screwdrivers, Knives, Pliers, Wire-Cutters, etc - eBay may have cheap ones, but it shows!
There's an eddy in the time-space continuum where my screwdrivers all migrate. (I believe it's located next to the place where socks go)

So screwdrivers are definitely not a splurge item for me.

I have a bunch of cheaper screwdrivers 'here and there', because of what you said - the evil screwdriver-stealing-gremlins!  ;)
Unfortunately, they bend, get dull/rounded/blunted very quickly, tear up screw heads, or (OW!) slip out of the slot and stab me, or an unfortunate bystander (table top, mobo, etc.) - They're OK for emergencies or casual use, but I invested in a QUALITY set which I religiously keep in my toolbox for 'Real Work' - the difference is like comparing a Leatherman  :-* to a $6 eBay generic multi-tool!
Living Room / Re: Skimp or splurge?
« Last post by sean421 on August 15, 2008, 01:16 PM »
Mmmm, Glue! IMHO, JB-Weld and/or JB-Kwik rock!  :-* Good for anything too heavy for Krazy Glue! ....well, maybe not wood (carpentry-type) fastening, but still...
Gorilla Tape =  :Thmbsup:

Splurge: Good Headphones - see GoodCans.com http://www.goodcans.com/ for some excellent reviews.
Speakers, I go with 'Good Budget', but when I really want to HEAR music, can't beat good headphones - also, 'Stock' earbuds almost universally are Crappy  - Try REAL headphones or GOOD earbuds, and your opinion of your MP3 Player (or soundcard, etc.) will probably go WAY up!  :Thmbsup:

Splurge on Good Tools - Crimpers, Multi-Tools, Screwdrivers, Knives, Pliers, Wire-Cutters, etc - eBay may have cheap ones, but it shows!

Worth Splurging - A Good Woman!  :-* (or your partner of choice)
...and one more 'poke with a sharp stick' - gotta wake 'em up!  :P
General Software Discussion / Re: CleanAfterMe - a new Nirsoft tool
« Last post by sean421 on June 14, 2008, 09:40 AM »
I've always admired Nir Sofer's programming skill/style and his programs - Small, Work Well, Reliable, USEFUL, almost all Portable (alway welcome on my 'Tools' Thumb Drive), and FREE!  :D
OK, it's not Crap-Cleaner, but I like the ease of choosing which 'Crap' to clean up - Honestly, for a Good Cleaning, I use the ToniArts "EasyCleaner" followed by CCleaner, both adjusted as I prefer - This seems to be nice for checking for things the others might have missed, or cleaning out/up computers for friends & co-workers!
Good Work, Nir (as always)!  :Thmbsup:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10next