topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 5:35 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: SQLNotes...what is it exactly?  (Read 832180 times)

PPLandry

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • InfoQube Information manager
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: SQLNotes...what is it exactly?
« Reply #800 on: March 22, 2008, 10:34 PM »
@superboyac,

You wrote in another thread:
>I predict that I will eventually move all of my contacts into SQLNotes.

Anything special missing right now (other than time?)

You can create as many contact fields as required, there is a dialer (which looks into parents to find #'s), e-mailer and custom forms.
Would a customizable cardview be the deciding thing ?
such as:
[attachthumb=#1][/attachthumb],
or:
[attachthumb=#2][/attachthumb]
Real generosity toward the future lies in giving all to the present -- Albert Camus -- www.InfoQube.biz
« Last Edit: March 22, 2008, 10:56 PM by PPLandry »

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #801 on: March 22, 2008, 10:47 PM »
Well, as SQLNotes has been progressing and I read that it has matured a bit as an application I decided to try it one more time. Installation (Full) seemed to go fine. I restarted and then just left it alone - that was this morning and I had other things to get done today.  Tonight I opened the program and while it looks a little different it still doesn't work here!

Different issues completely this time:  I cannot do anything at all with the program once it is opened.  If I click on the New Grid... icon or select File>New from the menubar, all I get is "Warning 1: cmdbar......." in the bottom status bar.  That stays on there for about 30 seconds and then disappears - nothing I do wipes it off earlier than that. For some clicks on the words down the left side - like Search, Mantis, etc. - I get that same "Warning 1:" message; for others I get "Error 3:..." and that hangs around for about 30 seconds also. After cycling through these for a short time the entire application suddenly locks up and the sqlnotes process burns 50% of my CPU, which is certainly not acceptable.

This computer is running on Windows XP SP2, fully patched, and the OS was recently reinstalled in mid-February so the machine is fairly fresh. Has anyone seen this before?

BTW, this just doesn't seem to be a match made in Heaven!!

Jim

PPLandry

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #802 on: March 22, 2008, 10:55 PM »
OK, try these steps:

1- Open SN
2- File>New. give it a name
3- Open the Welcome Grid (View>Grids>Welcome) or toolbar. Does it work?
4- If yes, now do Create Grid (View>Grids>New Grid, a grid is like a sheet in Excel). Give it a name. Do you get a blank notepad ready to start writing?

(BTW, if you did not install the latest build, there was an issue with creating a grid before opening a database. This is now fixed)

Hope this helps. Keep me posted.
Real generosity toward the future lies in giving all to the present -- Albert Camus -- www.InfoQube.biz
« Last Edit: March 22, 2008, 10:58 PM by PPLandry »

kartal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #803 on: March 22, 2008, 11:20 PM »
PPLandry, are you planning to implement native thunderbird-outlook express contacts import export?

PPLandry

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #804 on: March 22, 2008, 11:32 PM »
PPLandry, are you planning to implement native thunderbird-outlook express contacts import export?
- You can use CVS format to do it right now
- I don't see why not, given some time
- Also, as shown in Mantis (http://mantis.sqlnot...s.net/view.php?id=40), an API will be published. This will allow for add-ons
- Finally, Microsoft Sync Framework has just entered CTP2. It may be the channel I'll use for syncing with other apps and devices. Too soon to tell, but I'm following it closely. Demo is impressive http://msdn2.microso...s/sync/bb821992.aspx (there was a video at one point, but I can't find it now: Demo showed it could sync contacts between Outlook, Vista contacts, Hotmail, PDA)

[edit] Does Thunderbird use the new SQLite database storage that some FF apps have started to use? If yes, it should be trivial to import it. SN can pull bibliographical info from Zotero this way...
« Last Edit: March 22, 2008, 11:39 PM by PPLandry »

kartal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #805 on: March 22, 2008, 11:40 PM »
I know csv but I hate it, it is a last resort and sometimes translating data from one app to another is very painful with csv if you have little more data than just name and phone number. So I personally think that native import-export support is a preferred method.  I just started using essentialpim contact manager just because it supports import export.

PPLandry

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #806 on: March 22, 2008, 11:58 PM »
I know CSV is not ideal.

BTW, When importing into SN, you can save / recall your field mapping. So the first time it is longer because you need to do the field mapping, but after that, you simply open the mapping file and click .

BTW2. I just found a free component that read/writes OE WAB files. So it would be very very easy to implement it. If you want it, simply add it to Mantis.

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #807 on: March 23, 2008, 12:36 AM »
@superboyac,

You wrote in another thread:
>I predict that I will eventually move all of my contacts into SQLNotes.

Anything special missing right now (other than time?)

You can create as many contact fields as required, there is a dialer (which looks into parents to find #'s), e-mailer and custom forms.
Would a customizable cardview be the deciding thing ?
such as: (see attachment in previous post),
or:  (see attachment in previous post)

Nice!  :)

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #808 on: March 23, 2008, 12:54 AM »
"Warning 1: cmdbar......." in the bottom status bar.  That stays on there for about 30 seconds and then disappears - nothing I do wipes it off earlier than that.

It's by design. Just click on the warning message and it'll disappear.

Has anyone seen this before?

Nope. But try what Pierre suggests with the latest build (download it, uncompress in the SQLNotes directory). It could also be that you found a new bug. But there are not that many, I can assure you : I use SQLNotes every single day without any    serious problems (some small glitches, once in a while, but nothing I don't find in other "mature" applications -- the good thing is that most bugs get quickly fixed).

BTW, this just doesn't seem to be a match made in Heaven!!

Hopefully, no divorce in hell...  ;)

kartal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #809 on: March 23, 2008, 01:08 AM »
Copying pasting item lines does not carry data fields?

I just type something
change some values like addind gtd, changing font size etc
then I copy the line and paste to another item
values like gtd, font size etc are not copied?

kartal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #810 on: March 23, 2008, 01:19 AM »
I meant pasting to another grid(view)

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #811 on: March 23, 2008, 09:29 AM »
Copying pasting item lines does not carry data fields?

Which type of copying to you choose when copying?

Here's what Pierre wrote [url=http://www.sqlnotes.net/Forums/tabid/54/forumid/-1/threadid/3275/scope/posts/Default.aspx]there

*  Select cells and Copy puts it in tab delimited format (can paste in Word, Excel)
    * Select items and Copy dialog proposes you tab-delimited or XML format for the whole items (with or without subs)

In tab-delimited, you can paste it elsewhere, overwriting another item values if desired (needs improvements)

In XML, paste creates new items (clones of the copies ones). F5 should display the new cloned items

You can use it to copy / paste between databases. Note that currently XML paste does not create fields (needs improvements)

Dormouse

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #812 on: March 23, 2008, 10:14 AM »
Thanks to Superboyac and Pierre for the helpful comments.

The biggest problem for me is that I do not basically 'get it'. By this I mean a core functionality and purpose. It basically seems to be a collection of searchable grids, which is fine for spreadsheets and WP tables, but it does not shout a purpose at me.

To give an idea of programs I do 'get' (noting that this is just my own idea about the prog which leads me to use it), here are some of those I use regularly..

Evernote Old. A means of collecting all sorts of info very easily which can be searched quickly. I've never really used it for making notes.

Evernote Beta. A means of collecting my own info I can easily search online.

OneNote. A superb outliner that can collect and attach all sorts of info to the outlines. Having looked at this, it gave me the incentive to install the whole Office 2007 package (though still keeping all the 2003 versions except Outlook).

Directory Opus - an extremely customisable and multi-function dual pane file manager. It's really the swiss army knife of file managers.

IdImager Pro - a DAM program. With lots of other related functions and a very fast and responsive developer. The recent version change and beta development was a brilliantly implemented process.

ToDoList from AbstractSpoon. A hierarchical to-do list/planner that can attach links to documents/media and OneNote and Evernote. A wonderful program with an incredibly responsive developer. After starting using it, I have applied it to more and more tasks. Despite its complex looking interface, even computer phobic people use it very quickly and develop new uses for it.

I can see that this last has some similarity to SQLnotes since it is basically a grid. Approached it from the opposite end of the spectrum since it started as a simple task manager for his own use and has gradually added more and more features. SQLnotes seems to be designed as having great flexibility and a wide range of functions from the begiinning.

Maybe too wide a range for me to have a clear idea of what I would use it for. Even the list from PPLandry was a list.

My next issue is immediately obvious usability.

I do use very complex progs and I do have experience of designing and using databases, including DBAse II-IV, FoxPro, Access, SQLserver, SQLite and sometimes have to hand edit mysql files. I've used many spreadsheets - VisiCals, SuperCalc, Lotus 123, Wingz and Excel from its original version. I can't say I have ever liked doing any of this and only do it when I have to. I do find that modern programs are much easier to use than those from 20 years ago and do appreciate that ease of use. What it means is that I can get into something complex (though the availability of documentation always helps), but I do need a very good reason before I will. And I never did use Ecco (and nor do I intend to start now, 10 years after its demise)

I can see that SQLnotes should be able to import images; but I could not see how to do it. I could not see how to drag and drop stuff from outside to within the prog, except text to the htm box. It would not import any of my databases without asking me to set up equivalent fields - I'd really want it to do it all automatically and just give me the option to do it manually or change it later if I wanted.

If it imported and exported to a wide range of programs automatically, that would make it more enticing. Ideally, that would include ToDoList, Calimanjaro (iCal) as well as ALL the usual suspects. If it could mostly be done from the mouse that would be much better.

I can see that it could become a superb manager for all my tasks and activities, but to do that it would need the following:-
Easy and automatic import/export communication with all the progs I use or might want to use. This would include easy export of subsets of the database to spreadsheets and databases. At the moment, I spend a lot of time chicking that I can export and import the data I want and often have to use intermediary programs (ie Outlook) to get things done. This would include import/export to a PPC.
Storage of links & info in association with input items. Doing this via links with Evernote/OneNote would be find and would probably be better.
I'd certainly want items to be hierarchical and tagable.
Easy additions to data and easy changes of views. I'd quite like a 'View' grid/filter where I could specify what I wanted shown and it did it. I can understand the prog as a huge personal database; but to use it, I would need many input and output templates.
And all of this would have to be done intuitively and very easily.
I would also have doubts about how much reliance I would want to put on a prog relying on Access as its base. MS were near to abandoning it; they decided to keep it going but have introduced a few weaknesses in the latest version. I can see greater strength in SQLserver, SQLite or mysql.
If it doesn't do all of this, then I would need to be clear about what it does better than any competing product (and be clear that I needed this).
I do realise that it may do a lot of the things I mention already - but if it does, it just wasn't obvious enough. And I really do like GUIs and ease of use and not having to remember precisly how to do things.

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #813 on: March 24, 2008, 01:11 AM »
I’m going to try to help, but don’t get me wrong : for me it’s not important whether someone (you or anybody else) likes SQLNotes or not. I like it (not everything, but many things) and I can TRY to help you understand why. Maybe you’ll find reasons to like it too… But that is your business. ;)

The biggest problem for me is that I do not basically 'get it'. By this I mean a core functionality and purpose. It basically seems to be a collection of searchable grids, which is fine for spreadsheets and WP tables, but it does not shout a purpose at me.

IMO, SQLNotes is not like the other software you described. And this is why I like it. It's not as obvious at first, true, but it's nevertheless pretty logical and coherent… and not as complicated as you might think. You just need to put a bit of energy to understand its system. It shouldn't take you long : with the documentation, it took me only an hour and I was ready to go and create my first grids. I had to spend some more time fiddling around afterwards, but it was fun to discover all the possibilities.

Definition? To me SQLNotes function and purpose is fairly easy to summarize: as a freeform database with a very flexible UI, its function is to allow you to store, organize, search, filter, display a great variety of data type (numbers and text and even images and eventually other media -- that's already possible in a way through links) for different purposes. SQLNotes probably works best if you are willing to be a bit creative. Otherwise it means that you'll have to use only what's already there and not take advantage of all its potential.

In other words : With SQLNotes YOU decide what kind of data you want to store, organize, manipulate, display. Because it's flexible and polyvalent, you can display-present that data/info in many DIFFERENT WAYS: tables, outlines, graphs or pivot charts, calendar, Text, and eventually mindmaps etc. Because of these characteristics, SQLNotes can fulfill many DIFFERENT PURPOSES that have to do with DATA MANIPULATION: scientific research, time management, budget planning, etc. With a bit of creativity, you can do a lot, and you're not as bound by the manufacturers' vision of how to do this or that, and your data can flow organically between different categories, views, projects, etc. Don't get me wrong: there IS an inherent structure to SQLNotes, but it's (or "it will be" -- since it's still in beta!) at the same time sufficiently "loose" and sufficiently "rich" to allow it to fit one's needs.

Does that help??

To give an idea of programs I do 'get' (noting that this is just my own idea about the prog which leads me to use it), here are some of those I use regularly..

Yes, some of the programs you cite  have a very specific purposes and some of them "force" a fairly specific vision of how one should structure or display a particular type of data. SQLNotes is not that restrictive (although it does impose certain restrictions, obviously, since it's a system). And that's what I like... It almost makes me feel as if I was the coder... when almost all I have to do is actually use a pretty flexible UI. See what I did in less than 10min. there

SQLnotes seems to be designed as having great flexibility and a wide range of functions from the begiinning.

But don’t forget that SQLNotes can be used with a very very simple interface. Again : YOU decide. (see superboyac’s posts)

Maybe too wide a range for me to have a clear idea of what I would use it for. Even the list from PPLandry was a list.

Again : one just needs to decide : time organizer? todo list? project management ? research tool ? So be it! Some templates are there and more will of course be available to give people ideas, inspiration -- it is, of course necessary and Pierre knows that. But in the end, the users are in control.
Finally an app, a PIM that gives users more control on their data! (INfoSelect has a lot in common with SQLNotes. But it’s much more expensive, and much less flexible… IMO)

My next issue is immediately obvious usability.

I do use very complex progs and I do have experience of designing and using databases, including DBAse II-IV, FoxPro, Access, SQLserver, SQLite and sometimes have to hand edit mysql files. I've used many spreadsheets - VisiCals, SuperCalc, Lotus 123, Wingz and Excel from its original version. I can't say I have ever liked doing any of this and only do it when I have to. I do find that modern programs are much easier to use than those from 20 years ago and do appreciate that ease of use. What it means is that I can get into something complex (though the availability of documentation always helps), but I do need a very good reason before I will. And I never did use Ecco (and nor do I intend to start now, 10 years after its demise)

Well, yes, you generally do need some kind of problem to resolve to want to use a specific software and spend energy... Unless you’re just curious about software in general... ;)

As for me, I find I often (but not always : it depends on the tasks and the purpose of the software) spend more time trying to circumvent and creatively overcome software limitations than spending time trying to understand how to use more flexible ones.

Ease of use is important, and I hope that SQLNotes will become more and more easy to use (Pierre will possibly start working on a beginner interface). But what appears easy is often very dependent on the context and the individual. And so I don't find SQLNotes particularly hard to grasp, but YES, it does lack good documentation right now, and some icons can be a bit unfamiliar. But the documentation already available should still help you with the first steps. Then there's the forum.

I can see that SQLnotes should be able to import images; but I could not see how to do it. I could not see how to drag and drop stuff from outside to within the prog, except text to the htm box. It would not import any of my databases without asking me to set up equivalent fields - I'd really want it to do it all automatically and just give me the option to do it manually or change it later if I wanted.

You can link images to the database. Drag and drop anything into a grid and it will create an item or subitem. If it's an image, just open the image viewer (view--> image viewer), and you'll be able to see your image. Granted : multimedia is not SQLNotes strength right now. But Drag and drop (files to the grid) works very well. What do you mean when you says "drag and drop stuff from outside to within the prog" ?

If it imported and exported to a wide range of programs automatically, that would make it more enticing. Ideally, that would include ToDoList, Calimanjaro (iCal) as well as ALL the usual suspects. If it could mostly be done from the mouse that would be much better.

SQLNotes will be able to import/export more easily very soon. Pierre could probably say when...
I'm eagerly waiting for better import export functionality too. But one thing at a time. Outlook is next on the list. And much more coming.

Hierarchies? Well, nothing could be easier in SQLNotes. You didn't find that obvious? Have you installed the software and opened the default grids? Open the "Welcome" grid (click on the "welcome" tab) and you'll see a hierarchy. You can use icons or the alt+arrow shortcut to promote/demote items. (Keyboard Shortcuts are not well documented... yet.)
Tags? There are different way of tagging right now (using fields, or keywords in the category field), but Pierre is working on yet another method with a special "multi selection" field.

Easy additions to data and easy changes of views.

I find it incredibly easy to add data. Click (or press f2) in a field and type! Add as many columns/fields as you want.
Change views : For that, you can either create as many grids as you want, and/or use the column filters, the date filters, the alphanumeric filters, etc. :)

I'd quite like a 'View' grid/filter where I could specify what I wanted shown and it did it. I can understand the prog as a huge personal database; but to use it, I would need many input and output templates.

You can have as many input or output templates as you want. There are forms for input.

Again : create grids for output, and/or you could learn how to use the numerous filters.

More user friendly filters are in the making. But there are already many easy to use filters using the GUI : date, Alphanumeric, column filters, etc.

And all of this would have to be done intuitively and very easily.

I agree. I think we're all working to make suggestions to improve SQLNotes' user friendliness. My personal gripe is that it's sometime hard to understand immediately what's affecting the displaying of items in a grid (because there are many possible combinations of options). If you have ideas, tell Pierre. (You could also have a look at mantis and the SQLNotes forum to see others suggestions)

I would also have doubts about how much reliance I would want to put on a prog relying on Access as its base. MS were near to abandoning it; they decided to keep it going but have introduced a few weaknesses in the latest version. I can see greater strength in SQLserver, SQLite or mysql.

IMO, there's absolutely nothing wrong with JET 4.0, but SQLnotes is not Access/JET dependant. It can use different backend and Pierre is already working on a SQL Server version.

If it doesn't do all of this, then I would need to be clear about what it does better than any competing product (and be clear that I needed this).

All what? I'm not sure I understand... I can tell you though that I've tried Ultra Recall, Mybase, and many other "freeform" database, and SQLNotes is the only one that I actually believe in. It's still in beta, but IMO it's already got more potential... So I'm willing to wait and give support to help it become the great application I hope it will become.

That was long… Sorry.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #814 on: March 24, 2008, 05:59 AM »
That was long… Sorry.
no nööö :) thanks Armando :up:

I'm more of an example of someone who had very specific needs and just went and used sqlnotes for them (see off-topic post in evernote thread)
So I'm really still quite ignorant of the possibilities and it's nice to read an overview from someone who has a better understanding

I'd quite like a 'View' grid/filter where I could specify what I wanted shown and it did it. I can understand the prog as a huge personal database; but to use it, I would need many input and output templates.

You can have as many input or output templates as you want. There are forms for input.

minor query - what do you mean by "there are forms for input"

PS  the "IDEA: Mood diary/graph" graph [that you link to] is nice :up:
Tom
« Last Edit: March 24, 2008, 10:57 AM by tomos »

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #815 on: March 24, 2008, 10:27 AM »
Well said, Armando!  You are the master at SQLNotes, I hope to be able to understand it half as well as you do.  I bet you're doing some cool things with your data.

kartal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #816 on: March 24, 2008, 10:48 AM »
Is it possible to create an item without typing it anywhere? I am using wikipad for my notes(which is faboulous tool), and in Wikipad I can just press ctrl+o and type title of my note, if there is a note about it it would open the file, if it there is no such note it will create a new one and I will type the necesssary information in it. These kinds of notes are unlinked to anything but I can call them anytime I need(by just using autocompletion and wiki tags). I was wondering if that is possible to do it in Sqlnotes on the fly like Wikipad.

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #817 on: March 24, 2008, 11:42 AM »
Well said, Armando!  You are the master at SQLNotes, I hope to be able to understand it half as well as you do.  I bet you're doing some cool things with your data.

OMG... Thanks superboyac. What you do is very cool too. I'm actually not doing that much stuff right now -- I just know how to do it because I tried almost all options one after the other. Yet, there are possibly many other features that I don't know about because they're not documented yet or not that easy to discover. (Like 2 weeks ago : I didn't know I could shift+click on the "Grids" toolbar to duplicate/mirror a grid -- Impossible to know unless you start clicking everywhere... or if Pierre tells you!)

minor query - what do you mean by "there are forms for input"

Well, it could be that I wrongly interpreted  Dormouse's question but I only meant that for easy data input, you can use specific customized forms (in the form section, in the property pane -- one can create as many forms as one wants : view --> manage forms OR  click the same "manage forms" blueish icon on general toolbar; it's easy and convenient).

And as Pierre and viking said in the SQLNotes forum, it will also be possible (eventually) to insert items directly into the database by calling "add items" windows that would correspond to the different forms. so that if you're entering a contact, you just need call the contact form.

Is it possible to create an item without typing it anywhere? I am using wikipad for my notes(which is faboulous tool), and in Wikipad I can just press ctrl+o and type title of my note, if there is a note about it it would open the file, if it there is no such note it will create a new one and I will type the necesssary information in it. These kinds of notes are unlinked to anything but I can call them anytime I need(by just using autocompletion and wiki tags). I was wondering if that is possible to do it in Sqlnotes on the fly like Wikipad.

Well you can add items on the fly just by pressing ctrl+alt+n from anywhere (providing SQLNotes has already been opened): the "add item" window will pop up : write the title, enter your note in the html section if you want, then associate it to a field (or more : separate them with ","). But, like most other note taking tools (but unlike wikipad -- unfortunately), it won't tell you if you've already entered a similar note.  You could use the "quick search" window to see what's already in your database though : ctrl+q (but there's also an icon on the general toolbar). (Quick search can be a bit confusing at first, but Pierre is working on another simpler displaying option for quick search).

Dormouse

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #818 on: March 24, 2008, 01:54 PM »
I’m going to try to help, but don’t get me wrong : for me it’s not important whether someone likes SQLNotes or not.
That was long… Sorry.
Thanks for the response and your time. Certainly not too long - gives me(us) a better chance of understanding. I wouldn't be posting in the thread at so much length if I were not intrigued by the idea of SQLnotes and the enthusiasm of its users.

Definition? To me SQLNotes function and purpose is fairly easy to summarize: as a freeform database with a very flexible UI, its function is to allow you to store, organize, search, filter, display a great variety of data type (numbers and text and even images and eventually other media -- that's already possible in a way through links) for different purposes. SQLNotes probably works best if you are willing to be a bit creative. Does that help??
Certainly does. Suggests to me that it is an all-purpose database/spreadsheet tool.

Will presumably have the advantage of all such tools in being very flexible, and the disadvantage that it will either be relatively simple in what it can do or relatively complex in how it does it (or somewhere in the middle of the two). My guess is that you would not use SQLnotes for all jobs where you might think of using Excel or Access and that it therefore falls in the relatively simple group. This is not meant to be a derogatory comment - I have far more uses for a tool to tackle relatively simple tasks than I have for an ultra powerful freeform database. From what you say, I would see it as a tool for managing, questioning and viewing information of personal interest. Do I want to keep track of my blood pressure, my weight or my exercise regime? Or what seeds I have planted and where and what happened to them. Potentially much bigger and more complex - I can see from your description that it could even be set up to imitate a program such as Liquid Story Blender.

Yes, some of the programs you cite  have a very specific purposes and some of them "force" a fairly specific vision of how one should structure or display a particular type of data.
True. Maybe it is just the way I think, but I find it easier when I have a very clear idea of a program's function and how I would use it ... and I've never been tempted to be a coder. :)

As for me, I find I often (but not always : it depends on the tasks and the purpose of the software) spend more time trying to circumvent and creatively overcome software limitations than spending time trying to understand how to use more flexible ones.
Oh so true.

Ease of use is important, and I hope that SQLNotes will become more and more easy to use (Pierre will possibly start working on a beginner interface). But what appears easy is often very dependent on the context and the individual. And so I don't find SQLNotes particularly hard to grasp, but YES, it does lack good documentation right now, and some icons can be a bit unfamiliar. But the documentation already available should still help you with the first steps. Then there's the forum.
I accept that it is a Beta in very rapid development. The documentation won't keep up (and that's fine as it would only have to be changed again as the prog changes). If I know what I'm trying to use it for, that gives me something to work with.

You can link images to the database. Drag and drop anything into a grid and it will create an item or subitem. If it's an image, just open the image viewer (view--> image viewer), and you'll be able to see your image. 
I tried this with a png file and a jpg file. The file name appeared in the grid, the image viewer opened up when I clicked on the menu item - but nothing appeared in it even though the image file was selected.

And when you say link, does that mean it is only a link? If the original file moves location will that mean that SQLnotes will lose it?

But Drag and drop (files to the grid) works very well. What do you mean when you says "drag and drop stuff from outside to within the prog" ?
That something could be selected from anywhere and dragged and dropped (or cut and pasted) into SQLnotes. Did not seem to work for images, only for files already saved on to the system.

I had really expected to see the images appear in the html pane rather than a separate undocked viewer (assuming they had appeared). I would really expect to see them in a pane. And I would prefer not to have to go through a menu to see them. I'd really like a choice in settings - 'text only', 'text + images' etc. I really like the Dopus and ToDoList approaches where there is a huge amount of power and customisation available in configuration settings and nearly everything else you want to do can be done by visible buttons.

I suppose that means I probably prefer the ribbon to the old MS menus.  :o

SQLNotes will be able to import/export more easily very soon. Pierre could probably say when...
I'm eagerly waiting for better import export functionality too. But one thing at a time. Outlook is next on the list. And much more coming.
That's very good. Hopefully will support The Bat too. Though I think I've already come to accept that I will have to use Outlook even if it is just as a portal to communicate between programs and devices.

Hierarchies? Well, nothing could be easier in SQLNotes.

Tags? There are different way of tagging right now (using fields, or keywords in the category field), but Pierre is working on yet another method with a special "multi selection" field.
Hierarchies accepted. I could drag and drop the items on the item menu one to another. Very good.

Will be glad to see tags coming into use.

Easy additions to data and easy changes of views.
I find it incredibly easy to add data. Click (or press f2) in a field and type! Add as many columns/fields as you want.
I suppose my idea of adding data (in any form) is taking it from one place and putting it in another. Mostly my keyboard just lies to my side and I do everything with the mouse. If I'm creating stuff myself, I may type (I do touch type at a pretty good speed) as I do with posts like this, or may dictate with Dragon.

Change views : For that, you can either create as many grids as you want, and/or use the column filters, the date filters, the alphanumeric filters, etc. :)

Again : create grids for output, and/or you could learn how to use the numerous filters.

More user friendly filters are in the making. But there are already many easy to use filters using the GUI : date, Alphanumeric, column filters, etc.
Sounds good. I'm clearly going to have to put stuff in so I can try all these ways of getting it out. ;)

I think we're all working to make suggestions to improve SQLNotes' user friendliness.
I think this really matters for an all purpose tool. A specific tool for a specific job can afford to be more complex and convoluted because your understanding of the specific job will give you an understanding of the types of thing the tool must do.

It can use different backend and Pierre is already working on a SQL Server version.
-Armando link=topi :huh: :huh:c=10432.msg106949#msg106949 date=1206339115
I'm glad about this. When I bought IdImager, I bought the Pro version just because it was based on SQLserver rather than JET. (Though the latest version has stopped using JET and uses SQLite and SQLserver - and I decided to use the SQLite version :huh:)

All what? I'm not sure I understand... I can tell you though that I've tried Ultra Recall, Mybase, and many other "freeform" database, and SQLNotes is the only one that I actually believe in. It's still in beta, but IMO it's already got more potential... So I'm willing to wait and give support to help it become the great application I hope it will become.
-Armando link=topi :huh: :huh:c=10432.msg106949#msg106949 date=1206339115
Does appear to do it all, so no probs.

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #819 on: March 24, 2008, 03:02 PM »
I tried this with a png file and a jpg file. The file name appeared in the grid, the image viewer opened up when I clicked on the menu item - but nothing appeared in it even though the image file was selected.

I do have some issues too with certain images. Pierre mentioned that he's aware of it at some point. My wild guess is that the viewer has some trouble with certain formats?? Or names???

And when you say link, does that mean it is only a link? If the original file moves location will that mean that SQLnotes will lose it?

Unfortunately, for now links are the only possibility. I personally prefer links, but for portability it IS important to allow direct storage.
See mantis issue 48

SQLNotes should also soon be able to track all linked files that are renamed, moved etc.
See mantis issue 112

Did not seem to work for images, only for files already saved on to the system.

It should work, BUT... will create a link. For web images I'd either paste them in the html pane (or use ctrl+alt+n -- to call the "add item" window -- and paste it in the html part) OR, since everything you drop in the grid only creates a link, I'd first  save the image somewhere and then link it to the database. Again,SQLNotes should be able to store images directly quite soon (mantis issue 48).

I had really expected to see the images appear in the html pane rather than a separate undocked viewer (assuming they had appeared). I would really expect to see them in a pane. And I would prefer not to have to go through a menu to see them. I'd really like a choice in settings - 'text only', 'text + images' etc. I really like the Dopus and ToDoList approaches where there is a huge amount of power and customization available in configuration settings and nearly everything else you want to do can be done by visible buttons.

I believe I suggested to Pierre a similar thing before. I'll create an entry in Mantis for that.

suppose my idea of adding data (in any form) is taking it from one place and putting it in another. Mostly my keyboard just lies to my side and I do everything with the mouse. If I'm creating stuff myself, I may type (I do touch type at a pretty good speed) as I do with posts like this, or may dictate with Dragon.

When SQLNotes is already opened, try ctrl+alt+n (from anywhere) to insert data quickly -- use dragon or type... the note Title, your note (or webclips) in the HTML part, chose a field/grid to associate the item with -- and voilĂ .

BTW : all items that are not associated to any specific grids are in you database nevertheless -- only, you can't see them... Yet. To see them, just open the "search" grid (or any special grid you can create for that purpose), clear the source textbox (in the source bar), refresh (f5). all your newly created items should be at the bottom of the list (depending on the sort order).[/quote]

kartal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #820 on: March 24, 2008, 03:28 PM »
Armando thanks for the tip

However I am having major issues with copy pasting items from one grid to another. I will tell you that I have used hundreds of programs(including Ecco and other pims), and I use high level 3d softwares. So it is not like I do not understand a simple function like copy paste.

I created my item with ctrl alt n. I added some features like contact, dates etc. I copied as xml format. When I paste it to another grid none of those values comes with. In fact it does not paste.  In Ecco simple copy paste carries the cell values as well, unless you are in edit mode and copying the plain text. It looks like it is copying all the values but pasting is either not working or is an awkward way. I am all for Sqlnotes as a previous Ecco user. But this does not feel right.

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #821 on: March 24, 2008, 04:02 PM »
Where do you click? Click in the # column to copy/paste the whole item.

Also, it's quite possible that when you paste an item in a different grid, you don't see it at first because it's not associated with the grid... Yet. That's a kind of bug and I'll remember to notify Pierre about it -- he said that copypaste was not complete yet, with all the subtleties.

Now, try that :

1- Open the "search" grid.
2- Empty the "source" textbox (ctrl+s to have the source bar appear --> The source textbox is the first one on the left).
3- refresh (f5)

At the bottom of the list** you should see all your duplicated (copy/pasted) items. To associate them with specific grids, you need to associate them to the specific Grids' source... Normally by ticking the right field for each item (use the "properties" pane (f4, shift+f4, or view--> properties)--> use the "forms" or "Available fields" sections, depending on the fields you want to "tick") or BUT draging and dropping the items to the different opened grids should also do the trick. Don't forget to press F5 to refresh the view (automatic refreshing will come when SQLNotes will be able to function in "disconnected mode" -- soon). Most forget to press F5

Now... Keep in mind that you don't have to copy and paste items in grids to have items be mirrored in several grids. UNless you need to have separate but identical items, you just need to drag and drop items to a grip or the other to have them appear in different grids at the same time (what dragging and dropping to another grid does is simply ticking the field corresponding to the grid's source, when the source is "simple" -- as mentionned before, you could also tick the right fields manually if you wanted).

Don't forget that data is NOT IN THE GRID per se. Grids are only views on your data. You could have a database with 1000s of items, but they'll be "invisible" if you don't set any grids to view them. The search grid, or even the quick search window (or any grid you'll create, providing that the source text box is empty) can show you all items in your database. I personally created a special grid called "ALL" where I see all items, sorted by "itemmodified desc". Easier than to use the search grid.

** depending on the sort order -- to change it : In the sort textbox at extreme right of the source toolbar write : itemmodified  desc -- there are other ways, like using the column heading when the itemcreated column is displayed.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2008, 04:08 PM by Armando »

kartal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #822 on: March 24, 2008, 05:03 PM »
Armando I used Ecco before, I understand all the concepts related to Sqlnotes. I am not having conceptual isues with Sqlnotes at all. It has great ideas and starting to be a robust tool.

I also understand what you are saying about no need for copy paste but copy paste is possibly the fastest way to carry data sometimes. I tried dragging, it works but it is not the fastest way if you want to paste into unopened grids.

Based on my limited use of Sql notes these are the most important suggestions

-Autocompletion based on previously created items and auto property transfer. At least it could have made things easier.
-Streamlined copy paste. Since Sqlnotes has ideas based on Ecco, I would expect it to copy-paste at least as good as Ecco does.
-Faster grid views (this is the main drawback for me)

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #823 on: March 24, 2008, 05:27 PM »
I'm not questioning your expertise. JUst trying my best to explain...

I didn't say NO need for copy/paste. Not at all.

What I said is just this : copy/paste is not the same as dragging and dropping (And Like I also said : copy/paste is still in development). (And : actually, if you want to mirror/associate items to unopened grids, the fastest way is to tick the appropriate fields. That way you can associate 1000000s of items at once with different grids. Using copy/paste would achieve something completely different : duplication of items, but independent, with different ID numbers. But you can ignore all that if you already understand.)

But you didn't say if you solved your copy/paste problems

You said
created my item with ctrl alt n. I added some features like contact, dates etc. I copied as xml format. When I paste it to another grid none of those values comes with. In fact it does not paste.

Did you solve that?
Normally copy/paste should work : all values are copied, unless you copy the item in another database (within the limits mentioned in my previous post --> related to automatic grid assignation); in that case, non existing fields won't be automatically created.

Dormouse

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #824 on: March 24, 2008, 06:25 PM »
Thanks for the comments Armando. I'll be trying a few things out.

For web images I'd either paste them in the html pane (or use ctrl+alt+n -- to call the "add item" window -- and paste it in the html part)
Tried this and no dice. No image will paste in the html pane. Copy image to clipboard from webpage - but nothing to paste in this pane.