topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • January 19, 2020, 10:02 PM
  • Proudly celebrating 14 years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: BUG? Second Past Always As Plain Text  (Read 414 times)

djMot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2018
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
BUG? Second Past Always As Plain Text
« on: January 14, 2020, 08:52 AM »
It didn't work like this before the last update, so perhaps a bug introduced in the recent update?

Scenario:
I need to make several emails in Microsoft Outlook (Office 365 ProPlus) to different people.  The body of the email contains links and other formatting.  I copy from one email and post into another, new email.  The links and formatting all come along for the ride as expected.  I then copy the Subject from the first email and paste into the second.  That's a plain text field and the paste is successful as expected.  Now I go on to create yet another new email, but since I already have the body stuff in CHS, I paste from there.  This time it comes through as plain text; all links and formatting are stripped out.

It would seem that I can past something with links/formatting endlessly and it will all come through just fine until I copy something else, at which point the previous copy reverts to plain text.

Is there anything I (or you) can do about this?

At the start of this post I said it may be a problem with the new release, but honestly, I'm not 100% sure on that.  I've detected some inconsistencies with pasting formatted stuff into Outlook before, but I'm not sure what the problem or the pattern is that makes it not work.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: BUG? Second Past Always As Plain Text
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2020, 01:10 PM »
This is the way CHS works. Only the last copied text pastes with formatting. After that, it's plain text. Whether it can be changed, I don't know.
Tom

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2020, 11:47 PM »
Yep, what tomos said -- CHS stores plaintext only clips..  Having said that, perhaps it's finally time for me to add support for other formats..

djMot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2018
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2020, 07:26 AM »
@mouser - I sure wish you would!  I guess I was always a little confused why sometimes the copied item would go to plain text.  In a lot of cases, since the first paste is formatted as copied, I don't give it a second thought.  But then later, I end up wondering why I have to reformat, or recopy the source material. Now I know why.  It sure would be great if you maintained the source format, though.

oblivion

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2020, 10:25 AM »
It sure would be great if you maintained the source format, though.
I actually make specific use of the talent of CHS to strip formatting out of heavily formatted pasted text, it's a useful feature to me, so if this is changed, I hope the current behaviour might be left accessible in some way!
-- bests, Tim

...this space unintentionally left blank.

djMot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2018
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2020, 11:59 AM »
In CHS Options | Hotkeys, I have "Paste last clip as plain text" set to Alt-V, and I use that a surprising amount of the time.

I should think this setting would survive even with the addition of keeping the source formatting as a default.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2020, 01:04 PM »
In CHS Options | Hotkeys, I have "Paste last clip as plain text" set to Alt-V, and I use that a surprising amount of the time.

I should think this setting would survive even with the addition of keeping the source formatting as a default.
yes, I end up having to use that quite often -- and think it would survive, but if older clips kept formatting it wouldnt work for them. Unless...
(1) there were two clipboards one could call up, one with & one without formatting;
or (2) there was one clipboard displayed and, say, Alt+[Number] pasted the relevant clip *with* formatting, while just the number would paste as plain text.
Tom

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2020, 01:27 PM »
Right now when you use the quick paste menu you can right-click on a clip to get additional options for pasting and other actions, so you could always use that.. And of course there would be an option to only ever store plaintext clips.

djMot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2018
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2020, 07:41 AM »
In a perfect world:
  • source formatting would be retained always.
  • pasting with source formatting would be the default always (because that was what was actually copied).
  • alternative paste formats would be available via hot key and/or right-click options.

imho.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2020, 09:11 AM »
In a perfect world:
  • source formatting would be retained always.
  • pasting with source formatting would be the default always (because that was what was actually copied).
  • alternative paste formats would be available via hot key and/or right-click options.

imho.

You could also have it as an option to scrub pastes or not.  Many might like the default to be plain text.  That's the way a few other clipboard managers handle it.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2020, 05:27 PM »
Yep.