topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 6:29 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Double error  (Read 5240 times)

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Double error
« on: April 08, 2018, 06:34 PM »
I just had a BSOD when CHS's main window was open.  On rebooting and trying to restart CHS, I got this error:

---------------------------
Error..
Error EX4 for db file C:\NoInst\ClipboardHelpAndSpell\Database/ClipboardHelpAndSpell : DBISAM Engine Error # 8961 Header information corrupt in the table 'ClipTable'
OK   

Clicked OK, then got this:

Clipboard Help+Spell
DBISAM Engine Error # 8961 Header information corrupt in the table 'ClipTable'
OK   

CHS is set as Trusted in the firewall (ZoneAlarm Free).  Is there any way back from this corruption, please?

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Double error
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2018, 07:39 PM »
There is a repair function. Go to options, then Backup/Maintenance tab, click "Verify,Repair.." button.
Then restart.

There is also a "Restore Database Backup" button if that fails; CHS keeps backups automatically.

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2018, 03:15 PM »
Neither worked...  I clicked OK to the errors, then loaded CHS main window.  When I tried either, I got this:
2018-04-09_202827.pngDouble error
Same thing happened even when I went File > Exit, and I had to force-kill the program.  I then tried re-unzipping the archive over the top of the existing installation (it's installed as portable); no change.  However, I eventually 'solved' the problem by clearing out the database subdirectory completely and re-starting CHS, so it would start from scratch, then restoring from the most recent backup.  It now appears OK.  I lost the last few clips, but nothing vital, and CHS is now back in business here.

I (now) have the following backup options:
2018-04-09_210026.pngDouble error
As I have Backup on Program Start checked, isn't Backup All Data Every X Days somewhat redundant?

BTW, when replying using either Quick-Reply or Quote, neither appears to offer a means of attaching an image (or other file). I had to use Reply, which doesn't include quotes.  Is that by design?

Ath

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2018, 03:28 PM »
BTW, when replying using either Quick-Reply or Quote, neither appears to offer a means of attaching an image (or other file). I had to use Reply, which doesn't include quotes.  Is that by design?
You can use Quote first, then click Preview to further edit your reply and add attachments as desired.

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2018, 03:58 PM »
You can use Quote first, then click Preview to further edit your reply and add attachments as desired.
Thanks!  Though I'd rather it were a one-step process, like (I think) it used to be.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2018, 08:05 PM »
Thanks!  Though I'd rather it were a one-step process, like (I think) it used to be.

If it was, it was a long time ago.  There were never attachment functions in the quick reply as long as I've been here.  There used to be an [ img ] button that allowed you to link offsite images., but mouser took that away a while ago.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2018, 08:36 PM »
This should go without saying, but before you do anything else, go make a copy of the entire CHS backup folder someplace, so that you don't end up overwriting good backups with corrupt data.