topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 1:02 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Image attachment problems  (Read 3142 times)

BGM

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • bgmCoder DC
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Image attachment problems
« on: March 20, 2018, 09:34 PM »
I have tried three times to post a handful of images.  Once I accidentally attached a .psd file, another time a .tif, the last time one (or all) were too large.  Every time the editor undoes *all* of the attachments instead of just the offenders.  I've already spent 15 minutes.  I'll try again later, maybe.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Image attachment problems
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2018, 04:45 AM »
I have tried three times to post a handful of images.  Once I accidentally attached a .psd file, another time a .tif, the last time one (or all) were too large.  Every time the editor undoes *all* of the attachments instead of just the offenders.  I've already spent 15 minutes.  I'll try again later, maybe.
may be of help:
due to huge size of modern photo files, I've started taking a screenshot of the image, or images that I want to post. Easy to upload then -- from Screenshot Captor anyways -- and the image isn't too big visually either.
(FWIW also has advantage not having the original exif data or filename.)
Tom

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2018, 08:47 AM »

I had the same problem recently.  What you want to do is either (a) reduce the resolution of the images, (b) change to jpg and reduce the quality, (c) compress the images, or (d) host them elsewhere and use the img link instead of attaching them.  There's an upper limit here (it's for the total of the images, not each one if that helps), and editing the attachments in the post is problematic at best.

hope that helps

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2018, 09:04 AM »
don't do "(d) host them elsewhere and use the img link instead of attaching them." because then eventually they are lost forever.

Definitely DO save photos as jpg.
(tip in screenshot captor you can just change the filename in the bottom quick edit box to have a .jpg extension and hit enter).

Every time the editor undoes *all* of the attachments instead of just the offenders.  I've already spent 15 minutes.  I'll try again later, maybe.

The best solution to that is probably to do what I do sometimes when I'm making a post with a dozen images and lots of text: First write your main message and post it. Then MODIFY the message and add one or two images and save it.  Repeat.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2018, 09:06 AM »
don't do "(d) host them elsewhere and use the img link instead of attaching them." because then eventually they are lost forever.

Depends on where they are hosted.  I host them on my own server in a lot of cases.