Home | Blog | Software | Reviews and Features | Forum | Help | Donate | About us
topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • March 29, 2017, 08:28:07 AM
  • Proudly celebrating 10 years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: how to learn finance  (Read 2228 times)

kalos

• Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: how to learn finance
« Reply #25 on: February 11, 2017, 06:40:17 AM »
I bought some cheap courses from udemy

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: how to learn finance - Fundamentals of corporate finance.
« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2017, 03:32:16 PM »
I recommended above that looking for good teach-yourself finance textbooks in places where they sell secondhand books would be useful.

As an example, look at this superb textbook I found last week - at NZ$7.00 it was a steal. It provides a self-contained course in the fundamentals of corporate finance, which forms "the other side" of personal investment: Re: What books are you reading? - Fundamentals of corporate finance.

The CD-ROM of mostly Excel spreadsheets is very handy and a smart way to teach/learn.
I bought the book to help coach my 15 y/o daughter.

There will be more - the same or similar - such books in any place that sells secondhand books.
As my old accountancy lecturer used to say: "Never pay retail and always ask for a discount - especially for paying in cash - or buy good second-hand stuff."

Picking up old textbooks for a song is a no-brainer to keep study costs down. Textbooks are regularly updated to make money and each new edition is sold at a huge mark-up, whilst previous editions go for a song, even though the basic content of accounting/finance textbooks usually varies little and doesn't age between editions.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2017, 09:06:26 PM »
Of all the websites I have ended up on while searching for finance/investment info, the most useful one I've found so far is: http://www.investopedia.com

Their articles explaining concepts are reliably great.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • "In my dreams, I always do it right."
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: February 14, 2017, 08:25:21 AM »
Of all the websites I have ended up on while searching for finance/investment info, the most useful one I've found so far is: http://www.investopedia.com

Their articles explaining concepts are reliably great.

Seconded.  Motley Fool is worth mentioning also, specifically http://www.fool.com/answers/faq/