Home | Blog | Software | Reviews and Features | Forum | Help | Donate | About us
topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • March 29, 2017, 08:27:01 AM
  • Proudly celebrating 10 years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: cursor over image makes image blank out...why?  (Read 521 times)

holt

• Joined in 2015
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
cursor over image makes image blank out...why?
« on: December 04, 2016, 02:33:22 PM »
This never used to happen up until a few years ago. But more and more nowadays, whenever I hover my mouse cursor over a picture, the picture goes blank and is replaced by the size -such as for example '1300 x 957'- and reappears when I move the cursor away again. If it is an anti-copying or anti-copyright infringement feature, it sucks because I can still copy and paste it just as easy. All it accomplishes to me is to boost the annoyance factor. So anyways, why do they do that?
"This is the best bad idea we have, sir. By far." (cf. 'Argo'.)

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: cursor over image makes image blank out...why?
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2016, 02:59:28 PM »
with which software? and OS info might be helpful
Tom

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2016, 03:18:28 PM »
To me it sounds like you are using a browser, with particular add-on installed, that makes this happen. Add-on specifically intended for web-design might be configured in such a way that you see information about the image instead of the image when hovering over an image. Helpful for a web-designer, not so much for a user interested in only the content.

Unless you give us much more specific details about what you were doing and with what, every comment/suggestion/possible cause you read in this thread will be like trying to hit a flying bat in a pitch dark room...

hpearce

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2016, 04:41:09 PM »
Firefox has an addon that let's you resize a displayed image by dragging the cursor across the image to decrease  or increase the resolution.

Doing it correctly the first time plays a big role in whether the image goes blank. Then you have to refresh.
Windows 7 SP1 (TM) Home Premium 64-bit .. Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU P8400 @ 2.26 GHz / 2.27 GHz .. 4GB RAM .. NVIDIA GeForce 9800M GTS .. Gateway P-7805u FX

holt

• Joined in 2015
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2016, 12:08:44 PM »
Thank you for the sugs. Lemme see...(mumble mumble). Here's some of the info...
OS is WinXP on a Celeron 4; a little slow but not as bad as all that...I can play back vids from YT smoothly but only if I download them first and play them back on VLC. I realize how pathetic that sounds, but it is better than nothing and almost never freezes up or crashes.
The vanishing pix problem shows in both Pale Moon & SeaMonkey in Duckduckgo; I never use Google and it always rejects me anyways.
Problem also appears on various or random web pages.
I have very few add-ons to the above two browsers; the machine is a freebie hand-me-down, so that could mean something installed by previous owner (a relative).
So IOW, you're saying you don't experience this problem yourselves, and/or it is unique to my machine. Well that's something worth knowing anyways; I thought everyone was getting it.

"This is the best bad idea we have, sir. By far." (cf. 'Argo'.)

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2016, 12:36:30 PM »
Ctrl+Shift+A will show your addons in PaleMoon.

FWIW, videos not playing smoothly could also be related to your internet connection.
Tom

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2016, 06:54:21 AM »
@holt: If the symptoms only occur when in a browser, then the cause would presumably/probably be in either a feature of the browser (but I have never seen such a feature as that as a default feature of a browser) or (and more likely) a feature of an extension/add-on.
Given that PaleMoon is a Mozilla-derived browser and SeaMonkey grew from the Mozilla Application Suite, I would suspect that a common extension/add-on (one that you are using in both browsers) is producing the symptoms - by design rather than by accident (i.e., it is probably not a bug).

What you should probably do is look through the extensions/add-ons and their settings in one of the browsers, to see if you can spot the likely culprit.
If that doesn't throw up any suspects, then try a process of elimination:
  • Disable (do not delete) half of the extensions/add-ons in that browser.
  • If the symptoms persist after you have restarted the browser, then re-enable the previously-disabled extensions/add-ons, and disable the other half.
  • On restarting, the symptoms should have gone away.
  • When the symptoms have gone away, you then re-enable the disabled extensions/add-ons, a few at a time, restarting the browser each time and checking to see if the symptoms have returned.
  • When the symptoms do return (as they must, eventually), then the last few you re-enabled, as a set, must contain the problem, so you then disable all but the first in that set, restart the browser and keep that up- re-enabling them one at a time - until you identify the single problem extension/add-on that produces the symptoms.

Tedious, but pragmatic and it should eventually identify the causal problem extension/add-on.

Hope that all makes sense and is of use.