Home | Blog | Software | Reviews and Features | Forum | Help | Donate | About us
topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • September 30, 2016, 08:31:25 PM
  • Proudly celebrating 10 years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: snipping tool with image editor  (Read 806 times)

kalos

• Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
snipping tool with image editor
« on: May 06, 2016, 01:51:03 PM »
hello!

is there a simple light snipping tool for Win8.1 with image editor similar to Paint or better embedded?

I know Mouse's snaption tool, but I find it too complicated for simple uses

thanks!

Ath

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: snipping tool with image editor
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2016, 03:54:22 PM »
It's not going to be any easier than Screenshot Captor. If you can't master that, then........hmmm

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2016, 02:34:33 AM »
Faststone Capture:
http://faststone.org/FSCaptureDetail.htm
~ $20
There is still a last free version out there (I used use it before I discovered mouser's SC) -- no idea if it works on windows 8. Cant remember what the editor is/was like.
Tom

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2016, 10:27:39 AM »
My Screenshot Captor (link here) does have a little bit of a learning curve, but I do believe that after you spend just a little time with it and configure it to match your workflow, most users would find that it is trivially easy to do everything you need it to do, and in the most efficient manner.

Having said that, each to his own!

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2016, 03:58:45 AM »
Usually, when I have spent some effort in editing an image, it is because I need to keep them for subsequent re-use (e.g., as image attachments when making a post in the DC Forum), and so I like to keep searchable meta-data with them, for easy search/find at a later time. You can only add metadata directly to JPG files. So for me, there could sometimes be some considerable mucking about, and editing images always seemed to become an arduous task and was accompanied by the creation of separate metadata notes and the proliferation/duplication of image types for the same image. Then I realised that CHS might be able to help me, and I adopted what - for me - has been a really simple and time-saving approach:

STEP 1: Install CHS (Clipboard Help & Spell).
In CHS Options | Image Capture
  • set the preferred application you want as the External Image Viewer - I use irfanview.
  • set the preferred application you want as the External image Editor - I use SC (Screenshot Captor).

STEP 2: Determine what image clipping/snipping tools you are likely to want to use, and have hotkeys set up to invoke each of them separately, as required, at the press of 2 or 3 keys.
I use:
  • mostly OneNote Clipper - e.g., using Shift+Win+S.
  • sometimes Windows Snipping Tool -  e.g., I use no hotkey, just mouse-click on the Pinned Start Menu items.
  • rarely SC (Screenshot Captor) - e.g., I use Left-Shift+Right-Shift+S (Remapkey sets CapsLock = Right-Shift).

Method
When you clip an image using either OneNote Clipper, or the Windows Snipping Tool, the image goes to either a OneNote notebook page or the Snipper's work area, respectively - but you can ignore them, because it also goes to the Clipboard - and since we're using CHS, that means it is in the CHS database, so the user can:
  • switch straightaway to the full CHS view (Ctrl+Alt+A),
  • locate and select the relevant image clip in that view (shows thumbnail image),
  • click on the editing tool icon for that image (the tool is set as SC),
  • edit the image in SC and when done save it to the original file (which is still in the CHS database), thus overwriting the original image with the edited image (which is usually what one wants).
  • you can then select in CHS the Text tab for that edited image and copy the file path for that image,
  • whilst you are there, you can add in some metadata about the image, for subsequent search/find and for reference (IMHO you can never have too much metadata, so don't be afraid of littering) - this all goes into the CHS database.

Then switch to where you want to send/copy the edited image - e.g., (say) the DC User Forum post you are working on - and paste into the attachment field the path to that image that you already have from above.

One needs to try this out a few times to appreciate:
  • (a) how much time/trouble it can save one,
  • (b) how useful it can be for consolidating the image with its metadata in the CHS database - it literally becomes a consolidated part of one's set of knowledge/data that one could probably not previously achieve so readily/easily and have readily accessible/searchable.

So, thanks to CHS, and credit to @mouser for some excellent tools that work well together.
In case anyone wondered, the only reason I avoid using SC for clipping images is that I haven't had the time to yet figure out how to get SC to automatically save image clips to the Clipboard, so as to get them into CHS' database for subsequent editing by SC...    :-[
« Last Edit: May 08, 2016, 04:06:17 AM by IainB »

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2016, 06:45:16 AM »
Very interesting approach Iain :up:
Tom

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2016, 06:52:09 AM »
In case anyone wondered, the only reason I avoid using SC for clipping images is that I haven't had the time to yet figure out how to get SC to automatically save image clips to the Clipboard, so as to get them into CHS' database for subsequent editing by SC...    :-[

this part is easy enough, although, now I look at it, I'm not 100% sure which choice to make:
Options >Basic Capture >Post capture options:
Copy to Clipboard: [select one of] Image Bitmap / File itself

=>
I'm not sure what the difference is between those two options.
Tom

Tuxman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2016, 08:02:23 AM »
is there a simple light snipping tool for Win8.1 with image editor similar to Paint or better embedded?

"Light" "with an image editor embedded". Oh dear.

Other than that, ShareX.