topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 4:37 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Photo panorama creation  (Read 44047 times)

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Photo panorama creation
« Reply #25 on: August 23, 2006, 04:06 AM »
Thanks Tony - yes I have already requested a review copy.

Perry Mowbray

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: March 22, 2007, 06:35 AM »
Here's another panorama maker, recently mentioned at snapfiles
 (http://www.snapfiles...r/zonerpanorama.html)
Its Zoner Panorama Maker for $9.99, website http://www.zoner.com/

I don't know if this is needly reviving an old thread, but GiveAwayOfTheDay is giving Zoner away for free (for the next 19 hours anyway...)

I have not tried it either, and am probably unlikely to at this stage, but for anyone else who'd like to try, it's there...

- Perry

Carol Haynes

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: March 22, 2007, 06:57 AM »
Sorry everyone - I really haven't forgotten about this but I have had numerous problems (including a period of illness and depression - now hopefully sorted) which have meant it got left on the back burner.

Not least death of my previous computer - and numerous problems with my new system (mobo died and had to be replaced twice!!) and a graphics card hard to be RMAed because the fan went within 2 months. All in all it has been a bit of a nightmare and now for some reason my system is running strangely. All this got rather tangled up with Christmas and the New Year and has only really been fully resolved in the last couple of weeks. Now I just have to work out how to get my system running properly again without having to do another reinstall!

... I did actually start writing some stuff at one point and spent some time with at least 4 of the applications I have review copies of.
I haven't got around to reinstalling all the panorama apps - and at the moment I am not sure I want to.

Perry Mowbray

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: March 22, 2007, 07:46 AM »
Glad to have you back on the topic again... I know that I really enjoyed reading what you've posted previously, and it almost resulted in a purchase; but there was a little too much competition for the $$$ at that stage. ...so thanks!!  :Thmbsup:

I know my back burner gets pretty expansive at times: I have to keep reminding myself that the computer was bought for me, not the other way around  ;)

- Perry

demonstrate

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #29 on: August 03, 2007, 11:20 PM »
I lately found this project hugin at http://hugin.sourceforge.net/, an open source project.
Although it is still in beta version, lots of features are worth trying.
It is based on pano-tools. Here is one picture I made with it.

002dscf5528-002dscf5567-rect.jpgPhoto panorama creation

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #30 on: August 04, 2007, 01:38 AM »
Nice find demonstrate  :up:

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #31 on: August 04, 2007, 03:02 AM »
Hugin is quite impressive, tinjaw would agree as it helped him to solve his problem in this thread here.. :)
https://www.donation...35.msg56175#msg56175

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #32 on: August 04, 2007, 03:16 AM »
Carol, what about uploading the 12 pics, so we can compare?

Edit: Ohh, I didn't notice from the beginning how OLD this thread is...
« Last Edit: August 04, 2007, 03:34 AM by Curt »

Carol Haynes

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #33 on: August 04, 2007, 04:59 AM »
Sorry, I have been meaning to get back to this for sometime - unfortunately the versions of software I was supplied with are quite old now and I can't quite face going back to the companies. Manybe what I need to do is to write up something for each product and then send the companies a copy and if they want me to update the comments in light of the latest builds they can send me a copy.

It all went a bit pear shaped when my previous system bombed and I had to build a new system. A combination of duff graphic cards and a duff new mobo prolonged the agony and I had a long period of illness, really debilitating depression and insomnia, to cope with (which now seems to be a lot better).

Maybe it is time to have another go!

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #34 on: August 04, 2007, 07:05 AM »
Please forgive me for playing some home version kind of a net doctor, but I know from my many years of depression that the best medicine is sun, sun and sun (the sun works a lot better at the beach than everywhere else), and exercise - and some social stuff I still need to practice a lot more. Today I also know that rejection, lack of acceptance, and lack of forgiveness, can cause depression. Depression can of course be amplified by illness, but depression can itself cause illness, and long time depression will even damage the brains. I truly hope you'll find your way out of this situation, Carol; "you're worth it!"

--

As for the companies; I would think it okay to tell that the previous test results were lost together with the PC, before/without being published, so if you please could have another test trial? That is, if you really care to take on this big task again?

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #35 on: August 04, 2007, 07:06 AM »
Hang in there Carol!  :Thmbsup:

Carol Haynes

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #36 on: August 04, 2007, 08:39 AM »
Thanks Curt +  Mouser - actually I got therapy-type help from my local doctor (I don't like pills) with the sleep problems and that has (at least partially) sorted out the depression stuff. Also in the last month or so I have started getting out and about again getting some exercise (sailing, hillwalking and horse riding) and it really does make a difference. The quality of sleep when you are physically tired is completely different to 'couch potato' tired.

I think the biggest problem I have is that I really don't meet that many people these days - and so when I do go out I am feel bit isolated and unable to join in like I used to. I am sure this is just a mind set or learned behaviour but it is really hard to break. I am beginning to feel sympathy for agoraphobics! Trouble is without social contacts I find it hard to get motivated to do anything - I procrastinate too much whereas in the past I was always one of those people that was endlessly busy and willing to take on more.

Maybe it has something to do with the bigh 5 birthday coming up next year!

Carol Haynes

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #37 on: August 04, 2007, 10:44 AM »
To quote my favourite author (and character):

"Life, don't talk to me about life"
Marvin, H2G2, DNA

Thanks for the comments Curt - unfortunately the RDF approach is what I have adopted to religious belief precisely because I have been there, done that and worn the Christian T-Shirt and found it really doesn't fit with me. I have no particular problems with the Bertrand Russell assertion "When I die I rot" its my relationship with myself that is probably the biggest issue ;)

Anyway enough of my problems - this thread is supposed to be about panoramas!

Whether it will lead anywhere or not I am not sure but I have reinstalled all the pano apps I can find (except Hugin for the moment - it is a goodie but it appears to have been updated but the the download page is still not up to date). All the other apps I had seem to install OK - and some have been updated to latest versions with the serial numbers I was given.

I lately found this project hugin at http://hugin.sourceforge.net/, an open source project.

I think Hugin was mentioned earlier in the thread. I have had v. 0.5 for some time but the website now says that version 0.7 is available. However the download page still talks about 0.5. When you downloaded it what version did you get? Could you list the version numbers of the extras too.

This is the list of stuff I downloaded ages ago:
[attachimg #1][/attachimg]

and is one of the reasons I don't really like Hugin - you have to go searching for all the other bits.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2007, 10:46 AM by Carol Haynes »

kfitting

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #38 on: August 05, 2007, 11:48 AM »
I just downloaded hugin yesterday and enblend and panotools are included.  I didn't find autopano though...

I am very impressed by the quality and sophistication of hugin/panotools, but I think I will run my panoramas through autostitch first, because it is sooooo easy!

Kevin

Carol Haynes

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #39 on: August 05, 2007, 01:10 PM »
Hugin is very impressive for a freebie but as I understand it Hugin is basically a front end for panotools and the other addins. Most of those addins long ago ceased development (especially panotools which is not open source - though some people have started to reverse engineer it to add a few features). PTGui took the same approach initially but is now a complete self contained pano app - you can still use pano tools, enblend etc. in PTGui but it also has its own rendering engine which is probably a bit better.

Autostitch is very easy to use but is really a pretty limited demo. Serif Panorama 2 is based on the autostitcher code and is very simple to use (even easier than Stitcher!) but doesn't have the limitations in terms of output etc.

My favourite application is Autopano Pro. It isn't free but it is really easy to use but if you want more advanced tweaking it has all the features you could want unless you are high end professional user - in which case I am not sure what the limitations are. The original Autopano was based on autostitcher too (and I think that is what the autopano plugin does in Hugin) but now it has dropped the autostitcher code in favour of its own code base. The really nice feature is that you can right click on a folder full of photos and it finds all the possible panoramas all by itself - you can't get simpler than that!

I am beginning to get a bit inspired again - I will try to get going on the review! (Famous last words)

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #40 on: August 11, 2007, 01:17 PM »
I tried Hugin and i was very surprised.
It's pretty good, i had never tried this kind of software and thought this kind of stuff was hard to do, but i was able to come up with something pretty decent!

Here's a panorama photo of the landscape out of the window of the hotel where i'm staying right now:

teste3 complete.jpgPhoto panorama creation
« Last Edit: August 11, 2007, 01:28 PM by Wordzilla »

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #41 on: August 13, 2007, 05:52 PM »
FREE Panorama Viewer (updated today):
Details:
http://www.wpanorama...m/exescreenshots.php

from Snapfiles:
snapfiles.gif

from Homepage:
mainrochersdenaye.jpg

« Last Edit: August 13, 2007, 05:54 PM by Curt »

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #42 on: August 16, 2007, 04:00 AM »
I tried Hugin and i was very surprised.
It's pretty good, i had never tried this kind of software and thought this kind of stuff was hard to do, but i was able to come up with something pretty decent!

Here's a panorama photo of the landscape out of the window of the hotel where i'm staying right now:

looks good jgpaiva, the join looks good
unfortunately it has a darker patch of sky nearer the join.
I think there was another tool that could correct that a bit more but cant remember offhand.
It's one of the major problems with joining photos...
Tom

Carol Haynes

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #43 on: August 16, 2007, 04:58 AM »
FREE Panorama Viewer (updated today):

Looks neat - and there are some nice panoramic photos on the site too.

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #44 on: August 16, 2007, 05:03 AM »
unfortunately it has a darker patch of sky nearer the join.
Interesting.. I hadn't noticed that.

The problem was that that photo resulted from the join of 8 photos, and the two in the middle got darker than the other 6... Would there by any reason for that? (other than that fact that i totaly lack photographic skills? :) )

Carol Haynes

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #45 on: August 16, 2007, 05:06 AM »
How did you shoot your photos? Did you use manual exposure and ensure you used the same setting for all the 8 photos? If not they will have different exposures and then the pano app may attempt to colour correct assuming they should all have the same setting.

Actually it looks like a blending problem to me.

Can you zip up the photos and put the zip file on an FTP site somewhere and I will have a go at combining them using various apps to compare?
« Last Edit: August 16, 2007, 05:09 AM by Carol Haynes »

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #46 on: August 16, 2007, 05:08 AM »
Carol: i usually don't change any settings, just use the camera in automatic :)
But i can see what you mean, next time i make such photo, i'll remember to do that. Thanks! :D

seedling

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #47 on: August 16, 2007, 10:25 AM »
my 2 cents:

The absolute best (and most flexible) pano stitchter I've found is AutoPano (http://www.autopano.net).  You guys should check it out!

Arizona Hot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
MS ICE vs. AutoStitch
« Reply #48 on: December 29, 2009, 06:48 PM »
I tried creating panoramas using Microsoft Image Composite Editor 1.2 recently. See below how it sliced objects:

Around the mailbox 12-18-09c.jpgPhoto panorama creation

When I tried the AutoStitch v2.2 demo, using the same set of pictures, I got this:

Around the mailbox 12-18-09_b autostitch.jpgPhoto panorama creation

Does anyone else use the Microsoft program and have this happen to them also? I am going to use AutoStitch for any future panoramas. If you can't see the difference and can't download the attached panoramas, let me know and I will try to provide downloadable pictures.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2010, 07:09 PM by Arizona Hot »

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #49 on: December 30, 2009, 03:27 AM »
Microsoft ICE was a minor part of some other, bigger project, and has not been updated for more than a year. Might never be.