topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 9:04 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Mewlo web framework collaboration discussion  (Read 8646 times)

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
Mewlo web framework collaboration discussion
« on: August 12, 2013, 10:47 AM »
What I would really LOVE to do is find some more serious Python coders who are interested in being part of the team creating this.  It's a huge project and it's going to need all the help it can get.

I've been watching from the sidelines for a while, and I KNOW that I am very far from prepared to commit in any substantial way.

However, I know that there are always a trillion things to be done, and many of them are quite small and easily manageable by developers that work in an office/nursery.

If you think that you could come up with a list of "mini-mini-projects" (like at the method or class level), I would be interested in helping to solve some when I had time. e.g. A database of cuss words and a filter that doesn't eliminate legitimate words, e.g. remove "ass" but leave "pass" and "assassin". That's just an example. (It takes a while to compile the database, and would be a great project for a non-programmer.)

Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2013, 11:00 AM »
^ Very good suggestion Ren.  And also mini-development projects that you can spin off to people that are knowledgeable but don't have serious time to commit... but do want to help.  Perhaps you have some defects in some areas that will just take a bit of time and know how, but that's time you don't have right now.  Spin that off to someone as a concrete bit of work, and it might be easier to get a bite on that than an open-ended commitment.

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2013, 03:13 PM »
What I would really LOVE to do is find some more serious Python coders who are interested in being part of the team creating this.  It's a huge project and it's going to need all the help it can get.

I've been watching from the sidelines for a while, and I KNOW that I am very far from prepared to commit in any substantial way.

However, I know that there are always a trillion things to be done, and many of them are quite small and easily manageable by developers that work in an office/nursery.

If you think that you could come up with a list of "mini-mini-projects" (like at the method or class level), I would be interested in helping to solve some when I had time. e.g. A database of cuss words and a filter that doesn't eliminate legitimate words, e.g. remove "ass" but leave "pass" and "assassin". That's just an example. (It takes a while to compile the database, and would be a great project for a non-programmer.)

A pair of favorites:
analysis and analyst!
therapist!

Honorable mention might go to Slashdot's popular acronym of
I Am Not A Lawyer. :  )

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2013, 10:00 PM »
If you think that you could come up with a list of "mini-mini-projects" (like at the method or class level), I would be interested in helping to solve some when I had time.

Good idea.. i'm going to start a new document in the notes folder in the repository where i can list mini projects that could use volunteers, and I'll try to think up some.

ps. I'm going to split off this part of the thread to a standalone thread discussing contributor ideas.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Mewlo web framework collaboration discussion
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2013, 01:03 PM »
We also need some t-shirt designs, as everyone working on the project will want one.

The name Mewlo is meant to be evocative of a cat giving a friendly hello.  So maybe an image of a cat waving hello, so something like this but more comical and cartoony:
images.jpg