topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 5:53 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Help?  (Read 4371 times)

idkmybffashley

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Help?
« on: February 02, 2009, 03:51 PM »
So...I'll be honest, I'm not even sure if this is where I'm supposed to put this. But I recently DLed RegCure. It was recommended to me by a friend because I had a virus on my computer. I know nothing about viruses, so I just took his word for it. It scanned my computer and found all of the problems with it, but it won't get rid of them until I get a License Key. I was wondering if anyone knew where I could get a License Key, or something to that effect. I'm completely broke right now, so I'm hoping to find some help here. Or maybe you know of a free piece of software that I could use for this instead of RegCure. Thanks so much for taking the time to read this

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Help?
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2009, 06:21 PM »
Can't help you with getting a bootlegged key for DLed RegCure. That's not what we do here.

But I can certainly point you towards some very good (and free!) resources to get your system cleaned up.

If you are sure you actually do have a malware infection: go to the webpage below, read what it has to say, and then do what it recommends.

http://wiki.lunarsof....net/wiki/PC_Cleanup

Welcome to Lunarsoft's PC Cleanup page!

The PC Cleanup page has been converted into a wiki for faster, easier updates. Therefore should there ever be any changes to the programs recommended this page can be updated much faster than before. Also, since the PC Cleanup page is now a wiki version, pages should load faster and images can be loaded separately. When a machine needs to be repaired and is infested with malware, pages do not always load quickly. This is always kept in mind when creating these kind of pages so that even dial-up users may load these pages with ease.

We highly recommend using Anti-Malware Toolkit to help download the Recommended Software and other useful tools to clean and perform maintenance on your computer.

All of the software listed is available for free, and is as good (or in some cases better) than software you would have to pay for.

Pay particular attention to the installation order section if you're not experienced in dealing with malware problems.

Installation Order

This process has been found to be the very best in eliminating and terminating infections. This process will also help to prevent infections from spreading as the infections are removed.

Also scope out this website for additional information and free software recommendations:

http://www.techsuppo.../security-tools.html

Hope this helped. Any other questions, just post them here.

Let us know how you make out.

Good luck. 8)

----

BTW: 1st post? Welcome to DonationCoder. :)

« Last Edit: February 02, 2009, 06:37 PM by 40hz »

Edvard

• Coding Snacks Author
  • Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2009, 07:55 PM »
Spider-sense... Tingling...
spidersense.jpg
What's that? Could it be?...

spam.jpg

Sorry 40hz, some of us have developed quite the nose for it...
« Last Edit: February 02, 2009, 07:57 PM by Edvard »

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2009, 12:13 AM »
Spider senses tingling Ed?  ;D

I too was a bit skeptical.

However, when I did the usual quick checks before replying, I didn't notice anything that clearly indicated it was.

So at the risk of wasting 2 minutes, and possibly some bytespace in DoCo's database, I thought it nicer to respond. The bulk of the post was in my "quick response" (i.e. canned text/boilerplate) database anyway. :P

What got posted is valid either way, and also serves to counter any follow-on spam replies.

cmpm

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2009, 03:25 AM »
Registry cleaners are for cleaning the registry, not for virus'.
Your friend recommended a program that is inferior to what is readily at hand for free.

Though a registry cleaner can help, it's not the solution.
It serves to help real malware programs to do their job faster.
There is no one registry cleaner that will clean completely anyway.

CCleaner is the safest, while there are more that do better.
Any more then CCleaner then you have to get out of 'friends recommendations' and into professional recommendations.
From those who have tested and run more then a few to know.
And not running programs that you have no knowledge of what it will do and not do.

Paul Keith

• Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2009, 04:06 AM »
Yep, Registry Cleaners definitely don't help much for viruses. Your friend could be a case of a casual user being recommended a software and him/her recommending it to you.

For example when my mom got hit with a virus, I recommended her to several well known applications like Dr. Web Cureit!, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, Super-AntiSpyware and Avira and she instead listened to a co-worker who used Noob Killer and I was like "Huh? What's that?" but it did fix her PC problems (or so she claims) and I checked the application and it looks to be a registry hotfixer specifically designed for malware that infects the registry. Haven't really used it as a main cleaner on it's own but judging by the sites Google gives me, it has very few if no negative reviews that I have read.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2009, 04:16 AM by Paul Keith »