topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 6:58 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: r4r - Lightweight media player  (Read 12896 times)

ronriel

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
r4r - Lightweight media player
« on: July 24, 2007, 10:13 PM »
Here's a media player I developed to learn Autoit3.
Check here for more info: http://www.autoitscr....php?showtopic=48542

I hope you like it.

-ronriel
« Last Edit: July 25, 2007, 01:21 AM by ronriel »

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: r4r - Lightweight media player
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2007, 12:31 AM »
now that is pretty cool  :up:
ps. nice to see some autoit users posting!

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2007, 12:38 AM »
nice work, ronriel.. :Thmbsup: now, a screenshot would be nicer.. ;)

fowmow

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2007, 04:35 AM »
This is definitely cool.  And all this time I thought AutoIt had remained an automation language.

You used nothing else aside from the AutoIt programming language to create this?

It has a very small footprint and I love the fade effect.  A few things I noticed after messing with it for a couple seconds is:

1.  No notification whether or not "loop" is on or off.

2.  No notification whether or not "random" is on or off.

3.  When there is no media loaded, play does not prompt for a file.  This is a common practice of other audio players.

4.  When there is no media loaded, hitting stop makes "Stopped" appear at the top.  Not technically true if there was no media loaded in the first place to stop.   ;)

5.  The scrolling of the title seems to "jerk" into view each new word, rather than scroll letter by letter.  No biggie, just caught me off guard at first.

6.  There is no six, but I loathe odd numbers.

So, was this a fairly complicated process or is it a bunch of GUI clicks and clacks until you've got something that works?
I code.  Therefore I am.

fowmow

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2007, 04:52 AM »
Hrmm... I guess there is a 6.

6.  I'm not sure what methods you employ or what native abilities of AutoIt are being utilized, but when I attempted to retrieve lyrics from one of the two sites mentioned, my firewall was not alerted to its activity in normal fashion.

Instead, I see that it was blocked my firewall.  Normally software would request a "program access" to the outside world via a protocol, and would have a destination IP.  Your program for some reason provided none of those things and in fact the reason for automatic blocking was because your program did not identify the type of request it was making.

This would have been handled automatically by using whatever network related APIs and functions that were available in said language.  I can only guess that AutoIt does something a little oddball in that respect?

Anyway, as it stands now I would have to go into my firewall settings and add your program manually.  Of course, I have no clue what protocol it needed without checking so I'd have to allow any (UDP, TCP, ICMP, IGMP or any combination of those), and I'd have to DNS those 2 domains to list destinations.  OK, I *could* just add the domain, but I'm a stickler.
I code.  Therefore I am.

fowmow

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2007, 05:02 AM »
Dammit!  You just wanted to see me use an odd number.

7.  Saving custom lyrics overwrites the ".mp3.txt" file.  Thereby only one song can have custom lyrics.

Subsequently lyrics aren't even loaded with the file that was selected when the custom lyrics were saved.

Was ".mp3.txt" intentional or was it supposed to be "name.mp3.txt?"

8.  What parameters are you using to search AZLyrics and AbsoluteLyrics?  As it stands, I have fed MP3s with valid ID3v1 and v2 information and it finds no lyrics.  I also used popular songs, both of which I identified at those sites (which means they should have been found).

9.  It would be lovely if there were a method to turn off automatic searching of those lyrics sites.  Or to fire them separately.  As it stands, if I search one I cannot simply go to the other.  I have to restart the song to search anew.

10.  Back to the network problem... something is seriously jacked in that application.  I added the program to my firewalls whitelist and it made the same "unknown attempt," yet that was it.  No network activity at all.

I refuse to let the odd numbers have their way with me.
I code.  Therefore I am.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2007, 05:05 AM by fowmow »

ronriel

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2007, 07:51 AM »
Thank you for the feedback fowmow.

Your suggestions are really helpful. I will do the fix when I have time. Time. I'm not sure if I can find the time. I only do Autoit on my free time (that, I don't currently have - too much pressure from my new job.)

Anyway, I'd like to answer some of your questions.

You used nothing else aside from the AutoIt programming language to create this?
Yes.

but when I attempted to retrieve lyrics from one of the two sites mentioned, my firewall was not alerted to its activity in normal fashion.
I think your firewall is not alerted because the script just uses your Internet Explorer (Hidden), navigate to the lyrics sites and retrieve the lyrics from there. So it's just like you browsing to the site and copying the lyrics for the song.
simple but it works (i hope).

I can only guess that AutoIt does something a little oddball in that respect?
No. Nothing oddball.

Was ".mp3.txt" intentional or was it supposed to be "name.mp3.txt?"
It was intentional. I just want it to be named "name.mp3.txt?" :D. Well the reason behind is that I was using LeoLyrics Plugin for Winamp. It's stores lyrics in the same fashion ("name.mp3.txt?") so I also named my lyrics files that way so my player can also easily load lyrics that Leoslyrics plugin have stored.
      note: naming is actually like this - "media filename.txt"

What parameters are you using to search AZLyrics and AbsoluteLyrics?  As it stands, I have fed MP3s with valid ID3v1 and v2 information and it finds no lyrics.  I also used popular songs, both of which I identified at those sites (which means they should have been found).
What the program actually do is navigate to the site (using Internet Explorer). Internet explorer loads the webpage.
After 15 seconds the program checks back on the the page. If the lyrics is found, it displays it and saves it on a file on you hard disk. Stored lyrics are displayed the next time you play the song so that the program does not have to search for the lyrics everytime the same song is played.
However if you have a slow internet connection or for some other reason the webpage is not (fully) loaded under 15 secs then the program says "lyrics not found".
I am looking for a way around this problem. I can make the program wait until the (lyric site) webpage is fully loaded but the whole GUI freezes during the time it is waiting. Or I can set a longer time (not 15 sec) before it checks back on the webpage but sometimes, it would be impratical because I can usually load the page in less than 10 seconds.  The program will still display "searching" for many more seconds when it's actually not searching but waiting until the timeout ends.
If you know Autoit, then maybe you understand why the program pauses while it waits for the webpage to finish loading. :D

It would be lovely if there were a method to turn off automatic searching of those lyrics sites.  Or to fire them separately.  As it stands, if I search one I cannot simply go to the other.  I have to restart the song to search anew.
Yes it would be lovely. In fact, I have finished coding that part. I'm just not sure when I can finish everything for the next release. ;)

Back to the network problem... something is seriously jacked in that application.  I added the program to my firewalls whitelist and it made the same "unknown attempt," yet that was it.  No network activity at all.
I would like to make it clear to you and everybody else. Nothing is jacked in this application.
If you want to prevent it from connecting to the internet, you can block Internet Explorer.
But there's an easier way, just close the program's lyrics window. :)

Please let me know if you find anything wrong (bugs) or if you want something to be added to it. Just remember, I want to keep it as simple as it is.
Thanks again fowmow :).

Cheers!

-ronriel

fowmow

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2007, 01:48 AM »
Wow, you're going to love this.  I opened it back up to play with it a bit more and this is what I saw:

r4r_error.png
I code.  Therefore I am.

ronriel

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2007, 02:00 AM »
@fowmow

Let me guess. You are using the "classic theme" on your windows. Well, that is obvious. :)
But i think it is the reason why the buttons are 'blank'.
Truth is, I haven't noticed that until i have finished coding. I designed my GUI while using the windows XP default 'Luna Theme'. But that will also be fixed.

Thank you fowmow. :)
-ronriel

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2007, 02:49 PM »
It looks like the images are missing, aren't them?

fowmow

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2007, 08:29 PM »
@fowmow

Let me guess. You are using the "classic theme" on your windows. Well, that is obvious. :)
But i think it is the reason why the buttons are 'blank'.
Truth is, I haven't noticed that until i have finished coding. I designed my GUI while using the windows XP default 'Luna Theme'. But that will also be fixed.

Thank you fowmow. :)

You are most welcome.

That's odd indeed.  I would think that it wouldn't affect anything especially since your application uses images for its "skin."

I've never actually ran across this problem when using AutoIt.  Then again I've only just started tinkering with it.

Make sure to let us know what the problem is when you find it.  That'll help future AutoIt-ites, I'm sure.
I code.  Therefore I am.

ronriel

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2007, 01:50 AM »
That's odd indeed.  I would think that it wouldn't affect anything especially since your application uses images for its "skin."

It looks like the images are missing, aren't them?

In that case they aren't missing. Its just that they are not supposed to be shown.
When you run the program, you have the option whether to use the skin or not. (the option is accessible via the right-click context menu)

What's happening here is that when you use the "default skin mode" (means you do not use any skin at all), and you're using the 'Windows (XP) Classic Theme', the button labels do not appear as shown in the image above.
It's now fixed but I'm not posting the new version yet because it's still incomplete.

Thanks for the feedback. :)
-ronriel

delwoode

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2010, 03:14 PM »
can it use playlists?