topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 7:06 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: How will Web 2.0 affect desktop applications?  (Read 4383 times)

Redhat

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
How will Web 2.0 affect desktop applications?
« on: December 12, 2006, 12:42 AM »
We see, every day almost, new web applications spurting up in the so called 'Web 2.0' bubble/boom/phase/development. I just had a thought.. it's probably obvious to ask the question, but how, if at all, will this movement affect desktop software? Has it already?

I have to say I do look to web applications much more these days. But they cannot fulfil every purpose, I guess some desktop software has to stay as a desktop app. For instance ... jesus I'm finding it hard to think of one! Talking as I think now heh. Can anyone think of a desktop application that cannot be ported, now or in the future, to a web interface? I'm struggling! Totally switched opinions since starting this topic...  :mad: :P

I use my browser more than any other app now. Do you? Thoughts appreciated..

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
Re: How will Web 2.0 affect desktop applications?
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2006, 10:06 AM »
Encoding. Math. Renedering. Complex database operations. Complex string operations. etc.

Anything that is CPU intensive cannot be a web app.

e.g.

A Web App method:
public snot Insert_Finger_Into_Nose(finger digit)
{
    // Pick nose here  :(
}

A Real Program:
private int Some_Really_Hardcore_Math_Stuff(int A_Number)
{
    // Do something useful :)
}

Well, that may be a bit harsh, but there is a LOT of ground to cover before CPU cycles become cheap enough to run an intensive app on the web.

What totally freaks me out is that Outlook can chew CPU like there's no tomorrow, but Gmail works... That's the odd man out though. Outlook is just ridiculous.

It will all boil down to cheap math though. That's what all applications are - math.
Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker