topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 2:22 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Typos in FARR Help  (Read 4704 times)

CG

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Typos in FARR Help
« on: October 19, 2006, 08:43 PM »
Greetings! This is my first post at the DonationCoder Forum. I've been using Find and Run Robot for a few days and I just wanted to alert you to a few typographical errors in the Help:

Under section Some Default Alias Commands: Remember you can add your own group aliaes and customize existing ones from the options page!

Under section Tips and Tricks: Passing "-tray" on commandline to the main Find and Run executable is what tells the program to run with tray functionality; this is normally handled automatically during installation but if you dont use the installer you need to add it to your shortcut. 

The section heading: Baic Installation and Usage

Under section Installation: To install Super Happy Find and Run Robot, simply run the installatin program provided.

Under section Installation: It does not install any system files or in any way interefere with your existing files.

Under section Installation: If you already have another hotkey program you wish to use instead of the helper utility we provide, or if you want to run the program through an exisiting application launcher, that's fine, the main program can be launched from any 3rd party launcher, and will not stay resident when it is exited.

Under section Basic Usage: 4. The top best guesses for what you are looking for are shown in the list. You can at anytime revise your search, there's no need to wait for the seach to complete.

Under section Main Options: Note that checking this opions means that you cannot easily use digits in your searches if you also enable the Incremental Search option (You can use \# to represent a digit in a filename even when you've got the "Digit Keys Launch Results" option checked).

Under section Main Options: Show serch subdir details

Under section Main Options: Normally a value of 9 is sufficient - large numbers may slow down the sorting of large numbres of results when searching on very short search strings, so you might not want to just max this out.

Under section Main Options: detailed repoort:

Under section Main Options: The locatoin info displayed is based on the Result path option.

Under section Heuristic Scoring: Extact Match Bonus:

Under section Heuristic Scoring: Leftmost Match Bonus: This is a bonus given to any result where the search string matches the begining characters of the result, useful because most of the time you are typing in the first few letters of the file you are searching for.

Under section Heuristic Scoring: Thes points specified indicate the added score (or cost if negative) for files that match the second case when spaces were removed.

Under section Pattern Scoring: The Patten Scoring rules allow you to specify additional points awarded based on file or folder patterns.

Under section Search Folders: You can check and uncheck entried to disable them, or add/edit/delete using the right-click menu.

Under section Aliases: An alias can be a single word or a full pharse; partial matching is performed against aliases just as with file names. You will probably want to use alias names that do not match any existing files on your system, thogh this is not a requirement.

Under section Aliases: When you add or edit an alias, the above form is displayed - open up a Windows Explorer window and drag new files for the alias into the window; you can rearragne the items in this list through cut and paste.

Under section Results Window Operations: This lets you penalize or reward the current result, which will make it appear higher or lower in te results list on subsequent searches.

Under section Be Smart - Use Batch Files: Avoid other utilities that insist on putting an icon in your system tray - if you're going to be triggering these from Find And Run Robot, you dont need these utilities eating up your system resources.

Under section Related Programs: Luanch-n-go

There are a few errors in the Version History but I figure this list will keep you busy for a while. ;D Thanks for a great piece of software!

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Typos in FARR Help
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2006, 08:50 PM »
thanks CG!
I will make the changes - that list is very helpful to me  :Thmbsup:

welcome to the site  :up:

Wordzilla

• Forum Search Daemon
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Two there should be; no more, no less.
    • View Profile
    • FreeThesaurus.net - The Free Online Synonym Finder
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2006, 08:51 PM »
whoa, must have taken you quite a while, CG!

Very very nice and thank you!  :Thmbsup:

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2006, 09:48 PM »
this is not exactly in the help file but since we're on the topic of typos. in the f+rr folder, there is a file called "DefauiltAliasesGroup.ini". just wondering if it should be "DefaultAliasesGroup.ini". ;)

CG

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2006, 08:21 AM »
Mouser: thanks for the honorary membership. :) It's much appreciated.

Mobysaurus: your signature gave me a chuckle, given the subject of this thread. ;D

Lanux128: hehe, another good find. :P

While perusing the list of Related Programs I noticed that ShellSearch from Harmony Hollow Software appears on the list twice, once spelled with a space -- Shell Search. McAfee SiteAdvisor also gives their site a negative rating. You can read more about it here. I leave it up to your discretion whether to remove the program from your list or not.

The program CrossLaunch at http://methodik.pixe...army.org/readme.html gives a 404 error.

The current URL for QuickFind is http://www-stud.uni-...bacz/software_qf.htm

The program Getchoo at http://alilm.needlem...com/drupal/?q=node/2 was not found.

The program Semex seems to be called StartMenuEx now, and can be found at http://www.startmenuex.com/