I did get my own version working as a start. On one of my machines I have my own package - the other I have the official version. The official version installs it ok, but it does not update to the newer version. This is because it's using an old methodology to just grab the original .exe which is always named the same. Newer packages require the name and a checksum and then the chocolatey package needs to be updated with the new version and the new checksum. Haven't had a chance to play with updating that yet but thats the next step.
I haven't heard back from the maintainers so once i've got my internal package working I'll be applying to take it over.