topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 7:56 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: AutoHotKey vs AutoIT - why choose one over the other?  (Read 9399 times)

lugosi84

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
AutoHotKey vs AutoIT - why choose one over the other?
« on: January 09, 2017, 04:53 AM »
Hello DonationCoders,
I have already written a small program in AutoIT and I see that many of you use AutoHotKey. Is there a certain advantage to using AutoHotKey over AutoIT? Is there a feature set that is missing from AutoIT?

Please discuss.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: AutoHotKey vs AutoIT - why choose one over the other?
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2017, 06:20 AM »
Hello DonationCoders,
I have already written a small program in AutoIT and I see that many of you use AutoHotKey. Is there a certain advantage to using AutoHotKey over AutoIT? Is there a feature set that is missing from AutoIT?

Please discuss.

I think it's personal preference, just like most arguments of this type.

http://stackoverflow...autoit-vs-autohotkey

http://paperlined.or..._and_autohotkey.html

http://advancedcase....t-or-autohotkey.html

http://www.computore...s_AutoIt_Review.html

Those are just from searching autoit vs autohotkey.

One distinction that is important for a lot of people:  AutoIt is freeware closed source.  AHK is FOSS.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2017, 07:52 AM »
I used to prefer AutoIt because it had a more basic like syntax vs. the comma delimited function call style of AHK.  Now AHK has support for objects and also has expanded on the Expression syntax that is more like the C language.

As for capabilities that I use, I find AHK has much better mouse hotkey support.  AutoIt makes it very easy to create a Gui with Buttons showing the Icons of the program you would launch by pressing the button.

They both have strengths and weaknesses in various areas and even with various Window objects such as ListViews etc..  But there is no reason to eschew either completely.  If the program Gui I wish to create is easier to do using AutoIt but I wish the superior AHK mouse hotkey support I have the AutoIt program launch an AHK program to handle the mouse clicks and send a Windows message back to the AutoIt program letting it know what to do after the mouse hotkey fires or whatever.  The two work together well.  Also they have an "install" function that will break out the exe and icon files or whatnot into the current folder if not present.  So there is no requirement to have a formal install program.  Everything can be clumped into one exe if desired.

The other area where I prefer AHK is in file operations especially recursive descent through a folder and contained sub-folders processing files matching a wild card pattern.  AHK makes it simpler in my opinion.

anandcoral

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Free Portable Apps
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2017, 10:59 AM »
Most of the my apps are made in Autohotkey and few in AutoIt.

I look for the feature of the app which I am going to develop and take up which I find "easier" for me. Nothing personal, just similar done previously or have a similar sample etc. makes my preference.

If you feel at home in AutoIt, it is OK. If you need to code some feature which you can not find in AutoIt, then you may have to look around.

Regards,

Anand

Contro

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2017, 01:47 PM »
Ejem.
I prefer the language with more support and good people helping.
For this reason DC is an extraordinary forum.
 :-*