topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday April 19, 2024, 2:35 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: PMOG: The story behind the rise and fall of GameLayers, Inc.  (Read 5419 times)

Edvard

• Coding Snacks Author
  • Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
or: How to lose almost everything developing a browser toolbar game and live to tell about it. 

I played PMOG a bit during it's heyday, and I must say it was pretty fun at times, when you would run into a fellow PMOG'r on a random website, or go to some obscure blog and get mined, or find some cool new website while completing a Mission.  It added a new dimension to your surfing, made it more engaging and random than simply clicking on the next link like a monkey hitting the biscuit lever.  I was sad to see it go, and now a bit wiser having read the behind-the-scenes cautionary tale.

A Story of GameLayers, Inc.
Making online social games 2007-2009
by Justin Hall

Between 2007 and 2009 GameLayers made a multiplayer game across all the content of the internet.

I was the CEO of GameLayers and one of three co-founders. Here I'll share lessons and data from this online social game startup. This Story of GameLayers covers prototyping, fund raising, company building, strategic shifting, winding down and moving on.

from Umm... I forget

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: PMOG: The story behind the rise and fall of GameLayers, Inc.
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2014, 03:28 PM »
Crazy story. That's a lot to gain and lose. I wonder if it was all worth it to him.