topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 8:21 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: In search of ... folk who've embedded Google Calendar  (Read 3207 times)

barney

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
In search of ... folk who've embedded Google Calendar
« on: January 30, 2013, 08:18 PM »
Folk,

Did a quick search here, but nothing seemed relevant.  My sailing instructor friend is trying to embed a Google Calendar (GC) app on his Web site.  Problem is that when I try see it, the colours he used to highlight different classes are not the same as he used on the original calendar.  I have no experience with GC at all - never had need for it.  A Google (naturally  :D) search brings up way too many links - pages and pages.  So, anybody here familiar with this problem/project?

Oh, the reason for the color-coding is that all of a particular type of class is shown in a particular colour - makes viewing multiple months in order to pick out a schedule much easier.  So it needs to be consistent and predictable.

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: In search of ... folk who've embedded Google Calendar
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2013, 09:21 AM »

barney

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2013, 05:44 PM »
Hm-mm ... don't thimk that's much of an issue anymore.  Websafe colors, depending upon the information source, were developed mostly because of monitor differences or because of rendering/pixel differences 'tween MS/Apple.  Kinda like the meaning of RSS ... depending upon which camp you were in, it stood for Rich Site Summary or for Really Simple Syndication.  In both cases, you'd pick a camp and proclaim that particular outlook  :P.  (Didn't matter to me at the time, as I had - for years! - a 13-inch, 16-color monitor  :(.  I'd upgrade PCs, but monitors were just too damned expensive  :mad:!)

Besides, I'm pretty certain Google would have a handle on such things - after all, if the color didn't work, it wouldn't work anywhere, regardless the source.

My friend thinks the answer lies within whether you're a Google+ membership or not.  Not so certain 'bout that, but if he's willing to live with it, I'll have to  :P.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2013, 05:48 PM »
Problem is that when I try see it, the colours he used to highlight different classes are not the same as he used on the original calendar.

Would that not simply be to do with different monitors (showing colour variations) ?
Or is it like red instead of green :tellme: :)
Tom

barney

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2013, 07:35 PM »
Or is it like red instead of green :tellme: :)

Nope.  Regardless the colors he selected for different events, everything shows as a blue highlight when imported into a web page.  Same on his Website and also on the calendars of my Galaxy S3 and on my Nexus 7 and Asus [Android] tablets.  (I'd publish the page, but it's not active yet  :(.)  He's choosing pretty basic colours, nothing esoteric - stripes, polka dots, or the like - just red, green, yellow, blue ... basic stuff.  Since he sees it on his dev Web page(s) and I see the same on Android calendars, I just about have to think it's a Google thing.