ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

In search of ... folk who've embedded Google Calendar

(1/1)

barney:
Folk,

Did a quick search here, but nothing seemed relevant.  My sailing instructor friend is trying to embed a Google Calendar (GC) app on his Web site.  Problem is that when I try see it, the colours he used to highlight different classes are not the same as he used on the original calendar.  I have no experience with GC at all - never had need for it.  A Google (naturally  :D) search brings up way too many links - pages and pages.  So, anybody here familiar with this problem/project?

Oh, the reason for the color-coding is that all of a particular type of class is shown in a particular colour - makes viewing multiple months in order to pick out a schedule much easier.  So it needs to be consistent and predictable.

Curt:
maybe he didn't chose web safe colors only?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Web_colors
http://www.techbomb.com/websafe/

barney:
Hm-mm ... don't thimk that's much of an issue anymore.  Websafe colors, depending upon the information source, were developed mostly because of monitor differences or because of rendering/pixel differences 'tween MS/Apple.  Kinda like the meaning of RSS ... depending upon which camp you were in, it stood for Rich Site Summary or for Really Simple Syndication.  In both cases, you'd pick a camp and proclaim that particular outlook  :P.  (Didn't matter to me at the time, as I had - for years! - a 13-inch, 16-color monitor  :(.  I'd upgrade PCs, but monitors were just too damned expensive  :mad:!)

Besides, I'm pretty certain Google would have a handle on such things - after all, if the color didn't work, it wouldn't work anywhere, regardless the source.

My friend thinks the answer lies within whether you're a Google+ membership or not.  Not so certain 'bout that, but if he's willing to live with it, I'll have to  :P.

tomos:
Problem is that when I try see it, the colours he used to highlight different classes are not the same as he used on the original calendar.-barney (January 30, 2013, 08:18 PM)
--- End quote ---

Would that not simply be to do with different monitors (showing colour variations) ?
Or is it like red instead of green :tellme: :)

barney:
Or is it like red instead of green :tellme: :)
-tomos (February 16, 2013, 05:48 PM)
--- End quote ---

Nope.  Regardless the colors he selected for different events, everything shows as a blue highlight when imported into a web page.  Same on his Website and also on the calendars of my Galaxy S3 and on my Nexus 7 and Asus [Android] tablets.  (I'd publish the page, but it's not active yet  :(.)  He's choosing pretty basic colours, nothing esoteric - stripes, polka dots, or the like - just red, green, yellow, blue ... basic stuff.  Since he sees it on his dev Web page(s) and I see the same on Android calendars, I just about have to think it's a Google thing.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version