What books are you reading? - DonationCoder.com
HOME | Blog | Software | Reviews and Features | Forum | Help | Donate
Click here to
donate and join now!
Welcome Guest.   Make a donation to an author on the site April 26, 2015, 12:15:56 PM  *

Please login or register.
Or did you miss your validation email?

Login with username and password (forgot your password?)
Why not become a lifetime supporting member of the site with a one-time donation of any amount? Your donation entitles you to a ton of additional benefits, including access to exclusive discounts and downloads, the ability to enter monthly free software drawings, and a single non-expiring license key for all of our programs.

You must sign up here before you can post and access some areas of the site. Registration is totally free and confidential.

Learn about the DonationCoder.com microdonation system (DonationCredits).

Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  
Pages: Prev 1 ... 18 19 20 21 22 [23]   Go Down
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: What books are you reading?  (Read 118605 times)
mouser
First Author
Administrator

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #550 on: December 07, 2014, 01:42:43 PM »

Finished the well-reviewed auto-biography of Keith Richards from the Rolling Stones.  Pretty entertaining.

http://www.amazon.com/Lif...th-Richards/dp/031603441X
40hz
Supporting Member

see users location on a map View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #551 on: December 07, 2014, 05:43:56 PM »

@Mouser - if you enjoyed that, check out fellow Stones guitarist Ronnie Wood's: Ronnie: The Autobiography

Fascinating guy. And one of the best known underrated guitarists out there.

--------------------------------------------------

But even more fascinating is Levon Helm's personal (and band) autobiography. (In case anybody's wondering, Levon was most well known as the drummer and a vocalist for The Band.) Check out This Wheel's on Fire: Levon Helm and the Story of the Band

It's not only interesting from a musical perspective. It's also fascinating because he illuminates a period in American history where the South was transitioning from it's agricultural heritage into the 'something else' we know it as today. Levon was there for the dawn of Rock & Roll. Recommended!

panzer
Participant

View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #552 on: December 11, 2014, 03:12:50 AM »

How an Economy Grows and Why it Crashes uses illustration, humor, and accessible storytelling to explain complex topics of economic growth and monetary systems:
http://freedom-school.com.../how-an-economy-grows.pdf
40hz
Supporting Member

see users location on a map View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #553 on: December 20, 2014, 11:54:11 AM »

Just finished re-reading Hermann Melville's  Moby-Dick. Totally engrossing story that, for some reason, seems to get better and better the older I get. What can that meantellme Grin

rjbull
Charter Member

« Reply #554 on: December 21, 2014, 05:14:43 PM »

Just started:
Mandarin Gate by Eliot Pattison, seventh in his 'Inspector Shan' series of thrillers set in present-day Tibet, detailing the Chinese cultural genocide of Tibetan Buddhist culture, the very monks oppressed fugitives in their own country.

Just finished:
Foxglove Summer by Ben Aaronovich.  Great fun, though a bit of a deus ex machina ending (rather literally).  This is the fifth in Aaronovich's series of 'Peter Grant' thrillers, the first being Rivers of London.  Up-to-the-minute police procedurals - except that the viewpoint detective constable (of mixed race) is also England's most recently recruited wizard...  Somehow it all works.

Just finished:
Prayer by Philip Kerr.  Kerr is better known for the excellent though grim 'Bernie Gunther' series of thrillers, but this is a stand-alone novel.  It's an unpleasant, uncomfortable book that picks out examples of God's wrath from the Bible to postulate God as a kind of Manichaean monster, with a frequently Stalinist contempt for human life.  Theists, especially Christians, you have been warned.
rjbull
Charter Member

« Reply #555 on: February 11, 2015, 02:57:51 PM »

Wounding the World: How Military Violence and War-Play Invade Our Lives by Joanna Bourke, Professor of History at Birkbeck, University of London.
- how militarism and the horrific injuries caused by modern weapons are euphemised, sanitised, obfuscated, and distanced by treatment as abstract theoretical problems, to normalise a permanent state of war.
40hz
Supporting Member

« Reply #556 on: February 13, 2015, 09:04:11 PM »

Thinking, Fast and Slow by David Kahneman.

A book on how we think (duh!). It's excellent. Read it! Thmbsup Thmbsup
Curt
Supporting Member

« Reply #557 on: February 15, 2015, 04:41:57 PM »

Thinking-Fast-Slow-by David Kahneman.
It's excellent. Read it! Thmbsup Thmbsup

^ +1  thumbs up
f0dder
Charter Honorary Member

[Well, THAT escalated quickly!]

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #558 on: March 15, 2015, 11:07:42 AM »

Just finished The Psychopath Test, which was a nice read. Jon Ronson has an engaging and humorous writing style, without feeling crude or silly, given the somewhat serious topic.

Next up is Halting State, while I'm waiting for the paperback edition of The Rhesus Chart to become available. I have the rest of the laundry files in that format, so getting the hardcover edition would clash with the rest of series in the bookshelf tongue

- carpe noctem
wraith808
Supporting Member

"In my dreams, I always do it right."

« Reply #559 on: March 15, 2015, 05:22:46 PM »

Currently, I'm re-reading the Demon Cycle by Peter V Brett- preparing for the new book to come out later this month.  If you've not read them, they're very good.

I'm also reading Point of Impact- the movie that Shooter (with Mark Wahlberg) was based on.  Definitely very different a much more engaging than the movie.

I'm also reading Promise of Blood by McClellan- promises to be a very good series.  

As I read very fast, I try to read multiple books at once in order to string each one of them out.

Mark0
Charter Honorary Member

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #560 on: March 16, 2015, 10:36:19 AM »

Just finished the first 3 books of Dean Koontz's Frankenstein. Non especially deep, but a nice light page turner.

Now I'm reading The Future Was Here: The Commodore Amiga, by Jimmy Maher.

rjbull
Charter Member

« Reply #561 on: March 16, 2015, 05:51:52 PM »

Currently reading:
   Resurrection Engines ed. Scott Harrison
15 steampunk responses to (mostly) 19th century fiction, e.g. Kim Lakin-Smith's conflation of Peter Pan with The Island of Doctor Moreau, Adam Roberts on the [C]rime of the Ancient Mariner, and Juliet McKenna's feminist response to Rider Haggard's She.

Just finished:
   The Island of Doctor Moreau by H.G. Wells
One of the ur-texts of fantasy and science fiction
   Soul of the Fire by Elliot Pattison
Latest in his "Inspector Shan" mysteries set in present-day Tibet, this one focuses on the increasing number of self-immolations of a people unable to express their protests in other ways.
xtabber
Supporting Member

« Reply #562 on: March 20, 2015, 11:11:27 AM »

Just finished "The End of College: Creating the Future of Learning and the University of Everywhere" by Kevin Carey.

http://www.amazon.com/End...Everywhere/dp/1594632057/

Like many journalists, the author does a better job of explaining the way things are and how they got that way than in predicting where they are going, but this should be a must read for Mouser!

lindberg
Supporting Member

« Reply #563 on: March 20, 2015, 07:28:26 PM »

At those boring breaks at work, currently reading "All the presidents men" (I assume that everyone knows the story of Bob Woodward´s and Carl Bernstein's journalistic work, a.k.a "the Watergate Scandal"). a great movie too... (Robert Redford and Dustin Hoffman as Woodward and Bernstein).

Just finished a re-reading of "Pink Floyd, människorna, musiken, myterna" (Pink Floyd, the people, the music, the myths) by Bengt Liljegren. A great book if you are a Pink Floyd fan and fluent in the Swedish language, as the masterpiece doesn't seem to have been translated to English (?).

Now reading "Collapse" by Jared Diamond.
Very, very interesting. What is it that make societies collapse? Historical examples...

panzer
Participant

« Reply #564 on: March 28, 2015, 05:07:03 AM »

Flasar: I Called Him Necktie
http://www.amazon.com/Cal...hiko-Flasar/dp/1939931142
Mark0
Charter Honorary Member

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #565 on: March 28, 2015, 06:02:15 AM »

The book on the history of the Amiga was very nice.

Now, I just started Becoming Steve Jobs.

MilesAhead
Supporting Member

View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #566 on: March 28, 2015, 06:31:34 AM »

The book on the history of the Amiga was very nice.

Now, I just started Becoming Steve Jobs.

Heh.  That photo makes him look like the greatest ATP Tennis Champion ever.  smiley

Renegade
Charter Member

Tell me something you don't know...

« Reply #567 on: March 28, 2015, 10:19:58 AM »

Just finished the first 3 books of Dean Koontz's Frankenstein. Non especially deep, but a nice light page turner.

Now I'm reading The Future Was Here: The Commodore Amiga, by Jimmy Maher.

I read the review. It reminded me of when I was a kid at a "computer camp" and wrote my first program of any "length" at the time. The Commodore PET computer froze and I lost it. Sad

Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker
Pages: Prev 1 ... 18 19 20 21 22 [23]   Go Up
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  

Jump to:  
   Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  

DonationCoder.com | About Us
DonationCoder.com Forum | Powered by SMF
[ Page time: 0.058s | Server load: 0.11 ]

Share on Facebook
submit to reddit