Home | Blog | Software | Reviews and Features | Forum | Help | Donate | About us
topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • January 22, 2017, 10:27:01 AM
  • Proudly celebrating 10 years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Better scrolling with smartphones and tablets than by sweeping?  (Read 108 times)

ital2

• Participant
  • Joined in 2017
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Better scrolling with smartphones and tablets than by sweeping?
« on: January 21, 2017, 08:54:50 PM »
Hi.

I have another questions about smartphones and tablets. I had been in a store in order to have a look, and I liked mini tablets (Apple iPad Mini and Samsung S2 8.0) since you can hold them in one hand, but now that I decided I need the tablet for car navigation, too, it's evident they are both too tiny, so I need a full-size tablet.

But I was very surprised scrolling is as bad as that. Bot iOS and Android force you to sweep to the top if you want to go down to the next page, and while only iOS seems allow for tapping on top of the screen in order to mimic the home key of your pc/Apple keyboard, there is no way, with both systems, to tap somewhere in order to mimic end, pgup and, much more important, pgdn, pgdn being a missing key you would need to press again and again though.

Further web research brought that there are even more and more orthopedic problems arising from this, after years of sweeping, instead of being a tap area in the bottom 10 % of the screen. Some macro apps allow for using the Android side buttons for pgup and pgdn, but these buttons are obviously not made for being pressed hundreds of times each day, and with iOS, there are not even side buttons in needed number.

I suppose that app developers could, individually, put pgup/pgdn buttons in the right top and down corners of their app, but most app developers do not seem to do that, I tried that out with apps on smartphones of friends of mine.

So my question, after having searched for such a solution in vain, is, do you know any macro app, for iOS or for Android or even for both which will put such buttons, or better, a home button in top corner and a pgdn button in bottom corner, onto any app? Or perhaps that is not possible technically since it would imply laying out an additional layer onto the screen, over current app, but in these areas alone, 1 cm2 each would be sufficient, and it would acceptable that any screen element of the current app which is under these areas would not be responsive anymore for that app, but only for the macro app.

Besides, most screen readers, or many of them at least, do have physical buttons for next/previous page, so I cannot understand why smartphones and tablets do not have such physical buttons, so much needed for web browsing, all the more so since most modern pages are now constructed by multiple pages in one big page which calls for scrolling down.

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Better scrolling with smartphones and tablets than by sweeping?
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2017, 10:19:42 PM »
You can get software for Android that will let you remap the soft buttons depending on short/long press, number of taps, etc, eg. Buttons Remapper, there may be one that allows you to do what you want.

Or Tasker, (or Automate, MacroDroid, etc), may allow you to set specific actions against an app depending on action received.

Thing is though, for actions like a 'Home' key the app you want to do it in probably needs to be able to accept such a 'command' or at least a way to mimic it.

BTW, in a navigation type program there's usually a onscreen icon that will relocate the map display to your location.  What exactly do you mean by 'home'?

And normally you can tap the icon to zoom out enough to show the area you want, then tap the screen to zoom in on that area, no need to page around within a map at a fixed scale. That way you have better awareness of the relationship to where you want to look w.r.t. where you started on the map.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2017, 10:36:10 PM by 4wd »