topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday April 25, 2024, 2:04 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Hard cherry candy almond shaped w/sugar  (Read 4215 times)

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Hard cherry candy almond shaped w/sugar
« on: June 16, 2023, 09:09 AM »
Anyone remember a hard cherry candy that was roughly the shape and size of an almond and had sugar granules stuck to it all over?  It was sold at variety stores in the 1950s maybe up until around 1960 or so.  I ate them often but cannot remember the name of them.

c.gingerich

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • The Blind House
    • Donate to Member
Re: Hard cherry candy almond shaped w/sugar
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2023, 11:53 AM »
ChatGPT to the rescue:

The hard cherry candy you are referring to is likely "Cherry Sours" or "Cherry Balls." These candies are small, round, and often coated in sugar granules or a sour powder. They have a distinct cherry flavor and are popular for their tart taste.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2023, 03:10 PM »
I just got a bag of the new version.  They taste OK.  The ones I bought as a kid were definitely wedge or almond shaped though.  I am just surprised the name did not come to me even after tasting the candy.  These are similar but not an exact match.  Oh well.  Thanks for the response.   :Thmbsup:

Edit:  Come to think of it I remember a candy named "sour balls."  But those are definitely not the ones.  I bought them as last resort since they were sour and I preferred sweet candy like wild cherry especially.  Anyway these new ones will do until I find something better.   8)
« Last Edit: June 17, 2023, 06:17 PM by MilesAhead »

Edvard

• Coding Snacks Author
  • Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2023, 11:00 AM »
When I was a kid, my favorite candy was Flicks; a cardboard tube wrapped in colored foil and containing quarter-sized flat chocolate drops.  A new company re-issued them a few years ago, claiming to use the same recipe.  I got a tube of them and tried them, and they weren't the same.  I could probably come up with a bunch of reasons why (even the smell of the cardboard tube could be part of the experience), but I think the bottom line is you can't really go back.  :(

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2023, 12:47 PM »
Heh.  The more I look at these the more wedge shaped they seem and the more they seem to taste like the old ones but I find it hard to believe the old ones would be named shaved Cherry drops but who knows they seem to taste pretty close though. Sorry for running on sentence but I'm talking into phone.  8)