topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Monday March 18, 2024, 11:06 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: NANY 2011 Withdrawn: Dominion Rules Character Creator  (Read 30599 times)

kyrathaba

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
NANY 2011 Withdrawn: Dominion Rules Character Creator
« on: September 25, 2010, 09:31 AM »
NANY 2011 Entry Information

Application Name Dominion Rules Character Creator / Game Utility

Removed from competition.  I have two other entries that I'm happier with; and this one needs a re-write.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2010, 08:09 PM by Perry Mowbray »

kyrathaba

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: NANY 2011 Pledge: Dominion Rules Character Creator
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2010, 09:35 AM »
Update to my NANY 2011 entry:

The project is nearing release.  I'm just putting the finishing touches on the HTML character sheet that the program builds from data input by the user.  There's room for a few polishing touches still to be made (splash screen, improved installer, etc.), but it should be fully functional for the NANY release.

I've added several additional screenshots in the preceding post.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2010, 04:07 PM »
not that i have use for this, but it does look fun to use  :Thmbsup:

kyrathaba

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2010, 09:45 PM »
I'm releasing my NANY 2011 submission (see attachment).  The directory structure should be maintained as it exists in the zip archive, although it doesn't matter what directory serves as the parent folder.  I've included a 20-page help PDF.  I'm under the impression from something I read somewhere that the event organizer(s) will package the app in an appropriate installer.  If not, I can provide a crude but serviceable InnoSetup file.

I used InfohesiveEP v 3.3.0.0 to create the help file.  Basic functionality was fine, but it was abominably slow: interminable program hangs after pasting screenshots into the program from the Clipboard.  Sometimes waits for up to 2-3 minutes.  Geesh!

Attachment removed from this post.  Download only using the link from the OP.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2010, 07:19 PM by kyrathaba »

timns

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2010, 03:10 PM »
Has anyone put a game based around these rules into software? Sounds like something that Stephen66515 should direct his attentions to?

(Sorry to hijack the thread - just a passing thought)

If this were 20 years ago, I would be trying out the paper version of this game myself, and probably jumping all over this nice-looking software.  :Thmbsup:
« Last Edit: November 24, 2010, 03:12 PM by timns »

phitsc

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2010, 03:53 PM »
Just like mouser I have currently no use for it. Nevertheless, I gave the app a short try. Well, I guess it is useful, but to be honest, I think the user experience could be greatly improved ;) (and that comes from the guy who's NANY app is a command line tool, hahaha).

I see from your system requirements that the application is .NET based. May I ask, what language is it written in?

kyrathaba

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2010, 09:13 AM »
@phitsc: it's written in C#.  Any specific suggestions for improving the user-experience?  I deliberately made the progression through the program hand-holding, with lots of instruction messageboxes and confirmatory Yes/No dialogs.  Still, any constructive criticism is, of course, welcomed :)

@timns: to my knowledge, nobody has built a game around the rules, although I'm considering it ;)  I did find one forum, once, where somebody had hacked out a quick program using the combat rules to implement a fight-simulation (between two circles, representing combatants ;))  But no full games that I know of, no.

timns

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2010, 09:56 AM »
I see the rules are free to use: I should grab a copy and take a look.

One day I'll turn my attentions to something like that. I've had an idea for a reasonably original Sci-Fi RPG since 1986, and about four false starts at writing it over all that time.

kyrathaba

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2010, 10:09 AM »
@timns: What language would you likely program it in?

The rules are quite elegant, IMHO.  Everything is accomplished with a d12 die.  I should point out that my character creator departs slightly from the official rules for character creation.  I don't like the method described in the rules manual.  However, my program is, in my estimation, 99% compliant with official Dominion Rules.

phitsc

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2010, 10:15 AM »
@phitsc: it's written in C#.  Any specific suggestions for improving the user-experience?  I deliberately made the progression through the program hand-holding, with lots of instruction messageboxes and confirmatory Yes/No dialogs.  Still, any constructive criticism is, of course, welcomed :)

I see. The problem is that the message boxes make it very cumbersome to use the application. And if you've used the app a couple of times, you'll maybe not need that much guidance any more. I think I'd make the app more Wizard-like. You can still provide the info, but not in message boxes, but somewhere around the controls the user needs to change parameters. And having the possibility to go back and forth makes the Yes/No dialogues redundant. So, provide the information (i.e. the hand-holding), but not in such a hindering kind of way. You could also get rid of the instructions of how to use the controls if you'd use more standard controls, e.g. where the user has to choose Vigour, Agility, etc. why not use the little up/down controls so the user can stick with the mouse, etc.

kyrathaba

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2010, 11:30 AM »
Good suggestions, phitsc, and thank you for the input. I will seriously consider upgrading the UI.  Perhaps make the "hand-holding" feature an option that can be turned on/off.  Of course, most people (the very few that will ever actually make use of the app) are going to use the program once, to create and submit a character to my game -- then roleplay that character for months (or even years), never again using the app.  So, the intended audience probably won't use the app but once. 

Still, you're suggestions are very good ones.  Thanks!

timns

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2010, 11:30 AM »
@timns: What language would you likely program it in?

The rules are quite elegant, IMHO.  Everything is accomplished with a d12 die.  I should point out that my character creator departs slightly from the official rules for character creation.  I don't like the method described in the rules manual.  However, my program is, in my estimation, 99% compliant with official Dominion Rules.

I'd write 'er in Java. I did actually make another start earlier this year when NANY was first announced, but I knew there would not be any hope of having anything to show so I put it to one side yet again.

kyrathaba

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2010, 12:10 PM »
Yeah, I know what you mean.  I've rejected several more ambitious projects, simply because of time constraints.  In fact, I suppose my submission this year is rather self-serving, given the extremely limited audience for which it's intended.  But I find it difficult to find motivation to do a software project unless I have some personal stake in it, know what I mean?  Either something I think my friends or family will use, or that I will use.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2010, 01:30 PM »
Yeah, I know what you mean.  I've rejected several more ambitious projects, simply because of time constraints.  In fact, I suppose my submission this year is rather self-serving, given the extremely limited audience for which it's intended.  But I find it difficult to find motivation to do a software project unless I have some personal stake in it, know what I mean?  Either something I think my friends or family will use, or that I will use.

I don't think that's unique.  That's the reason I look on here at requests- it gives me ideas outside of my comfort zone. :)

kyrathaba

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2010, 10:56 AM »
Redacted.

« Last Edit: December 09, 2010, 07:18 PM by kyrathaba »

kyrathaba

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2010, 08:18 PM »
Redacted.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2010, 07:18 PM by kyrathaba »

kyrathaba

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: NANY 2011 Release: Dominion Rules Character Creator
« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2010, 04:37 PM »
Now that I've officially released this app, people should only use the download link provided in my original post above.  Thanks!

Perry Mowbray

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2010, 05:42 PM »
Now that I've officially released this app, people should only use the download link provided in my original post above.  Thanks!

:Thmbsup:

You can remove the other versions from you replies  ;)

kyrathaba

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: December 24, 2010, 02:21 PM »
I am withdrawing this app from N.A.N.Y. 2011, as I have two other entries I'm happier with, and this app really needs a rewrite.  Thanks!

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: NANY 2011 REMOVED: Dominion Rules Character Creator
« Reply #19 on: December 24, 2010, 04:46 PM »
I never got a chance to download it!  Need some help in design?  I was going to PM you once I got out from under work (and got a chance to work on my NANY entry... sigh.  I'm behind as usual)

kyrathaba

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: NANY 2011 REMOVED: Dominion Rules Character Creator
« Reply #20 on: December 24, 2010, 08:29 PM »
You can still download it from here, Wraith.  Nothing really wrong with it.  It's just that I know I can refactor it and make it a lot cleaner and more user-friendly.  I decided to let my other two entries, N.A.N.Y. Excuse Manager and Black Jack, stand as my only entries.

Perry Mowbray

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: NANY 2011 Withdrawn: Dominion Rules Character Creator
« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2010, 08:11 PM »
I just changed the title to "Withdrawn"  ;)