topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 3:31 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: RTF --> HTML editor  (Read 5572 times)

Steven Avery

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
RTF --> HTML editor
« on: March 30, 2010, 09:39 PM »
Hi Folks,

As part of my molasses Wamp server and Website Baker and MySQL and Alpha5 and Navicat  and this and that project I realize I need to do some straight HTML coding.  I am a programmer of sorts (RPG on iSeries mostly) so theoretically all that is cake.  In practice .. well. we shall see.

I saw the HTMLPro special today on Bits .. and I know we have lots of other editors mentioned.  Decisions, decisions. While it is not the most advanced, I see that the HTMLPro is sweet in the color coding and formatting dept, good for beginner-intermediates.  

Now I really have one simple kindergarten question to start.

A lot of the material I bring into the editor will already have format from an email or forum, maybe RTF.  Color, height, bold, italics (conceivably fonts, but not important).  I know some webforums will take the paste and hold the formatting very nicely.  (Not an issue here because we are Plain Sam.)  And with an on/off toggle for the mode.

So I want my HTML editor to receive such RTF paste input without intermediate steps, or minimal.  Do they all do that ? None ?  How about HTMLPro ? (I tried a quick test and did not see how.) What would they call it ?

Any help appreciated, since I am considering the big $18 purchase.  If you want to mention the many excellent editor products fine, although we could bump up one of the editor threads for that.

Any help appreciated.

Shalom,
Steven Avery
« Last Edit: March 30, 2010, 09:43 PM by Steven Avery »

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: RTF --> HTML editor
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2010, 10:14 PM »
My fav for cleaning copied material I want to paste as plain text is a small free utility called PureText.

http://www.stevemiller.net/puretext/

Have you ever copied some text from a web page or a document and then wanted to paste it as simple text into another application without getting all the formatting from the original source? PureText makes this simple by adding a new Windows hot-key (default is WINDOWS+V) that allows you to paste text to any application without formatting.

After running PureText.exe, you will see a "PT" tray icon appear near the clock on your task bar.  You can click on this icon to remove formatting from the text that is currently on the clipboard.  You can right-click on the icon to display a menu with more options.

What PureText Will and Will Not Do

PureText only removes rich formatting from text.  This includes the font face, font style (bold, italics, etc.), font color, paragraph styles (left/right/center aligned), margins, character spacing, bullets, subscript, superscript, tables, charts, pictures, embedded objects, etc.  However, it does not modify the actual text.  It will not remove or fix new-lines, carriage returns, tabs, or other white-space.  It will not fix word-wrap or clean up your paragraphs.  If you copy the source code of a web page to the clipboard, it is not going to remove all the HTML tags.  If you copy text from an actual web page (not the source of the page), it will remove the formatting.

PureText is basically equivalent to opening Notepad, doing a PASTE, followed by a SELECT-ALL, and then a COPY.  The benefit of PureText is performing all these actions with a single Hot-Key and having the result pasted into the current window automatically.

[/quote

:)

Steven Avery

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2010, 10:28 PM »
Hi Folks,

My fav for cleaning copied material I want to paste as plain text is a small free utility called PureText.

Yep .. that is good, I use Eudora right now for cleaning, so the savings would be small.

What I want to do is retain the formatting when it goes into the HTML editor.  In other words the editor recipient may have to do a bit of formatting when receiving the paste. That is why the forums who do this have a toggle mode.

Shalom,
Steven

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2010, 11:11 AM »
If you open an .rtf file in a decent word processing application, you can resave the file as .html. I know both MS Word and OpenOffice Writer can both do this.

Once you have saved it as .html, you can continue edit it in the word processor, or in the html editor of your choice.

And OpenOffice Writer does retain most of the formatting on a paste from a web page (color, size, hyperlinks, bold, italics, underline, etc)...but not the font used. (just tested it to make sure)

And best of all, OpenOffice is free.  ;)

Steven Avery

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2010, 07:04 PM »
Hi Folks,

Yeah, I just gave it a try. Abiword saved the .html and HTMLPad picked it up. Some of the color was lost.  I do not have OpenOffice on this puter though, would like to see if it does better.  I like OO but recently switched to Abi for a light WP system.

And best of all would be direct conversion into the HTML editor.

Shalom,
Steven
« Last Edit: March 31, 2010, 07:10 PM by Steven Avery »

PPLandry

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • InfoQube Information manager
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2010, 08:14 PM »
If you're looking to program it yourself through a DLL or you want to batch process alot of files, checkout IRUN RTF converter. It is free and does a good (but not perfect) conversion of RTF to HTML:

http://www.pilotltd....x_en.jsp?pagenum=221

HTH
Real generosity toward the future lies in giving all to the present -- Albert Camus -- www.InfoQube.biz

JavaJones

• Review 2.0 Designer
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2010, 09:30 PM »
Interestingly a lot of web-based editors include this kind of functionality as a "Paste from Word" button or similar, but I don't see any desktop apps that do it. There must be some though. Maybe the "paste from word" concept will help in further searching?

- Oshyan

PPLandry

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • InfoQube Information manager
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2010, 09:41 PM »
I think the "Paste from Word" feature basically filters out non standard tags, but do not do RTF->HTML conversion. Word puts a number of formats on the clipboard, one of them is HTML.

Real generosity toward the future lies in giving all to the present -- Albert Camus -- www.InfoQube.biz

JavaJones

• Review 2.0 Designer
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2010, 11:32 PM »
Perhaps true, but whatever it is doing, the end result is fairly functional HTML. :D

- Oshyan