topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 6:44 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Delphi VCL Component for Vista/7 Windows Imaging Component (Image Tags)  (Read 7229 times)

Dzomlija

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Some of you may recognize me from the Vista Forums and Sevenforums, and will be familiar with a utility that I've made available to members of those forums, my "Duplicate Picture Finder".

This utility visually scans a given folder, or set of folders, in order to locate duplicate images, even if resolutions differ. Depending on the number of files involved, and because of the techniques employed in making comparisons, it can take anything from a few minutes to several hours to complete. What I'm looking for is a way to filter the files that it actually scans. This is what I had in mind:

Search
I'd like to add a "search" facility that uses the built-in Windows Search of Vista and 7 (or Windows Search 4.0 on XP) on a given set of folders so that DPF only scans files that match any given tags. All image on my system are tagged and categorized with Windows Live Photo Gallery, and being able to limit duplicate scans to specific tags like "Wallpapers", "Nature", "Cars", "Diablo 3", etc will make the utility a little more user friendly, and will allow for the exclusion of files that are currently being scanned when they should not be.

Tags
Related to the above idea, I'd obviously need some code that can read (and write) the XMP metatags tags used on JPG images in Windows Vista and Windows 7. This will be an important part of the program, so that when it flags certain files as being duplicates, I'd like the ability to copy the tags from a "duplicate" file to the "original" file. As it stands, when DPF flags a file as a duplicate, it has no way of determining whether or not it contains XMP metatags, and subsequently ends up deleting the file that has the tags I need, and keeps the file that contains no tags.

In order to maintain portability (DPF can run directly from a flash drive), I'm looking for Delphi 2009 VCL components (preferably open source, but not crucial) that allows me to create and execute Windows Search queries within my code, and have the results returned in a TStringsList object. Also a component that can both read and write the XMP tags in a JPG image file.

These components should not rely on any external libraries or ActiveX controls (like Chilkat XMP), other than the API code provided natively by Windows itself.

Does anyone have any recommendations? I know Delphi 2010 supports the Windows Imaging Components of Windows, but it's a little out of my budget at the moment, so that is out of the questions.

Peter

P.S. Troy, if you're reading this, thanks for the recommendation. DonationCoder looks like a great forum. Should I be able to implement the changes to DPF that I mention here, I may even consider making DPF available here. I'll see how it goes.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
I can highly recommend the ImageEn VCL components from HiComponents for graphics stuff -- they have very good support for reading and writing image header information in all sorts of image files.  I use them in my Screenshot Captor program (written in C++ Builder, the brother of Delphi).  Not free but reasonably priced.

Dzomlija

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I can highly recommend the ImageEn VCL components from HiComponents for graphics stuff -- they have very good support for reading and writing image header information in all sorts of image files.  I use them in my Screenshot Captor program (written in C++ Builder, the brother of Delphi).  Not free but reasonably priced.

Thanks, I'll have a look at this one. Looks promising so far...

sajman99

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
...Should I be able to implement the changes to DPF that I mention here, I may even consider making DPF available here. I'll see how it goes.

Dzomlija, I am interested in this type of software so I wish you the best and hope you keep DCers updated on your progress.

Also, please implement a "Show hidden folders and files" option in the new version of Duplicate Picture Finder. Good Luck. :)