topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday April 16, 2024, 12:47 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Alt-Tab with mouse  (Read 13776 times)

ovehal

• Participant
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Alt-Tab with mouse
« on: November 15, 2005, 02:40 PM »
I was very exited a while ago when I bougth my Intellimouse, because it should do alt-tab.
I does but it's not fully functional. One click on the mouse wheel = one alt-tab. So it's only usable to switch back and forth between two windows.

What I would like is a fully functional alt-tab from the mouse.
Like:

1) Click, hold and scroll the wheel button to switch to the desired application.
2) Right click hold and left click to alt-tab thru the windows. Left click hold and right click to alt-shift-tab thru the windows.
3) The same as 2 but configurable for mouse with several buttons.

And so for a alt-tab hint that it can't believe it have taken me so many years to discover.

If your dragging a file from one window to another. Earlier I would have done it in one of two ways.
1) Keep both windows visible on screen.
2) Drag the file over the sys. toolbar button and hold it there until the window comes up front.

Now I just start dragging and while dragging I just alt-tab to the right window.
Was this old news to everybody? (If so don't let me know:-))

nilness

• Participant
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Alt-Tab with mouse
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2005, 12:24 AM »
If you've got AutoHotkey installed (http://www.autohotkey.com/) then this is pretty simple to do. Copy this little piece of code and save it as MouseAltTab.ahk. Double click it and you've got Alt-Tab functionality with the mousewheel button.

; Mousewheel Alt-Tab

MButton & WheelUp::ShiftAltTab   ;Mousewheel click-hold + wheel scroll up equals Shift-Alt-Tab
MButton & WheelDown::AltTab     ;Mousewheel click-hold + wheel scroll down equals Alt-Tab
MButton::Mouseclick, Middle         ;Pass on plain mousewheel clicks

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2005, 07:02 PM »
Are you using the latest IntelliMouse drivers? My IntelliMouse Explorer cycles through all active windows as I click the wheel.

brotherS

• Master of Good Ideas
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2005, 11:55 AM »
If you've got AutoHotkey installed (http://www.autohotkey.com/) then this is pretty simple to do. Copy this little piece of code and save it as MouseAltTab.ahk. Double click it and you've got Alt-Tab functionality with the mousewheel button.

; Mousewheel Alt-Tab

MButton & WheelUp::ShiftAltTab   ;Mousewheel click-hold + wheel scroll up equals Shift-Alt-Tab
MButton & WheelDown::AltTab     ;Mousewheel click-hold + wheel scroll down equals Alt-Tab
MButton::Mouseclick, Middle         ;Pass on plain mousewheel clicks
Hehe, nice idea! It's a bit tricky to use, but it works! :)

"Mousewheel click-hold + wheel scroll up equals Shift-Alt-Tab" --> not exactly here, it opens that Alt+TAB window, then every scroll up OR down moves the cursor the left in there.

As I said: tricky, but it works :)

brotherS

• Master of Good Ideas
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2005, 03:27 PM »
WARNING!

These 3 lines caused severe trouble in Firefox, like cloing two tabs when clicking with the middle mouse button on one etc. - I was very puzzled at first, until I remembered I added this to my AutoHotkey.ini  :(

nilness

• Participant
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2005, 10:11 PM »
WARNING!

These 3 lines caused severe trouble in Firefox, like cloing two tabs when clicking with the middle mouse button on one etc. - I was very puzzled at first, until I remembered I added this to my AutoHotkey.ini  :(

Interesting. It works perfectly for me as coded (on a plain vanilla XP system). Could you give me any information about your specific software configuration? Your comment about the ALT-TAB function being 'tricky' leads me to believe that you have Alt-Tab "extender" software installed. As for the repeat clicks in Firefox, I am not getting that but I suppose you could just try disabling the third line of code by adding a semi-colon in front like this:

;MButton::Mouseclick, Middle         ;Pass on plain mousewheel clicks

and see if that works. Also, what brand of mouse/mouse software do you have?

As a point of interest, I was expecting someone else to take this idea and run with it hence the bare-bones nature of the code. I suppose I could work on it a bit more - schedule and mightily neglected girlfriend permitting.

Catalin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2005, 09:47 AM »
You can also have a very advanced visual menu of tasks if you are using XDESK (the feature is called something like Task Menu and you can access it by holding at the same time the RIGHT and then the LEFT mouse buttons).

notaguru

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2009, 09:43 AM »
Alt-Edge works a little too well, as shown by many inadvertent invocations.

I'd suggest a user-adjustable delay from 0-1000 msec. Possible?

Thanks