Home | Blog | Software | Reviews and Features | Forum | Help | Donate | About us
topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • October 21, 2017, 10:02 PM
  • Proudly celebrating 10 years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Visual Basic: finding out dependent OCX/DLL files  (Read 9122 times)

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Visual Basic: finding out dependent OCX/DLL files
« on: November 24, 2008, 10:08 PM »
this is a topic in view of the ongoing NANY 2009. anyone programming in Visual Basic need to include all DLL/OCX files manualy if they're not using the PDW (package deployment wizard), so i prepared a simple guide to ensure that all the necessary files are distributed together.

Fig. 1
sc_2008-11-23_001_ver001.png

Fig. 2
sc_2008-11-23_002_ver001.png

Fig. 3
sc_2008-11-23_003_ver001.png

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Visual Basic: finding out dependent OCX/DLL files
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2008, 05:57 AM »
nice work lanux  :up:

CWuestefeld

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2008, 12:23 PM »
I was always running into problems with missing DLLs. Here's one of the ways I'd diagnose the problem -- and you could do the same to get the list of what you need.

There's a program called Depends that spits out tree showing all of the (linked) dependencies of a module. One weakness is that it only knows about dependencies that the linker knew about -- stuff that's dynamically loaded by your app code won't be caught.

PPLandry

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2008, 03:49 PM »
Another interesting way to get away of the DLL issues on your VB6 apps is to open it in VB.Net. You then get a list of references. If you then select each of these references, you can, in the properties pane, set that you want to use a local copy. Compiling your app will generate a manifest file (even if the compile fails, which it will inevitably)

With this manifest file you can set up a totally portable app in XP and Vista. No installation and no DLL hell.

More details can be provided if desired
« Last Edit: November 25, 2008, 05:13 PM by PPLandry »

wizard43

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2008, 10:22 AM »
Although I haven't tried it, I understand the instructions for building a manifest file for a VB6 program, but I am completely lost as to how to use the manifest to create a portable, ie. no installation, exe.  This is something I have often wanted to do, and I have at least one client who still insists on doing everything in VB6. :(

PPLandry

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2008, 02:29 PM »
But this is a pure VB6 solution. You use VB.net, to help you create the manifest file, nothing else. You could create the manifest file yourself by hand, but it is a lot of work...

Once you have your manifest file, copy all referenced DLL / OCX, the .exe and the manifest file to a folder. The .exe will run!

You can manually edit the manifest file to change paths of the DLLs/OCXs. You can check out the portable version of InfoQube for an example of this. http://www.sqlnotes.net