topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 6:44 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Why the Surface hasn't sold well. (idiots)  (Read 3368 times)

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Why the Surface hasn't sold well. (idiots)
« on: July 17, 2013, 03:51 PM »
http://www.businessi...snt-sold-well-2013-7
So this article is going to reveal the difficult mystery of why the surface has not sold well.
He told the resellers to bring their customers to a Microsoft Retail store and show them the Surface devices there: "You should feel free to use our store as an extension to your office," he said. "Bring your customers there."

Bob Venero, CEO Future Tech

Future Tech

Bob Venero, CEO Future Tech
Bob Venero, CEO of Holbrook, N.Y. reseller Future Tech, was incredulous.

"Really? Hey guys, let's bring our customers in and tell them, 'Look at all of this cool stuff. By the way, you can't buy any of it from us.' What? It's insanity," Venero told Business Insider.

Keeping the Surface away from the channel is also "an emotional issue" for resellers because the Surface is supposed to represent the best Windows 8 PC possible, he said. Why wouldn't Microsoft want its partners to be able to sell the best, he wonders.

Microsoft's reorganization last week doesn't look like it will solve the problem anytime soon.

"I"m trying to figure out the rationale, to understand why they put the Surface under a retail scenario. Xbox is retail. Where clearly the direction we're told from Microsoft is that Surface is for corporate [users] and it wants to drive it into the enterprise."

Read more: http://www.businessi...2013-7#ixzz2ZL0Bo02b
First, it's a dumb article.  Second, it's an idiotic article.

Why beat around the bush?  What is the big mystery?  Let me list all the DUH points:
--Why mess around with the whole start button nonsense?
--it's too locked down, not "messing around with" friendly.

Microsoft is not stupid, but they are pretending to be to hide their true agenda.  EVERYONE wants the start button back, and they are holding off on it as long as possible.  Secondly, the entire windows community is used to the hacker friendly operating system of the past 20 years.  This is the opposite.  Why would windows user desire an apple-like OS?  Doesn't microsoft realize there has been always was a raging rivalry between the two? Holy cow man.

And these are windows users!!  Not apple users who want the glitz and polish!  You are expecting nerdy, hacker, gadget loving, registry messing, service disabling, freeware loving communists, Windows IT users to gladly go to a windows 8 OS and take away all the things they love about computers?  Geez.

And I won't even get into the whole retail store, business/marketing argument that the article is addressing.

Idiots.

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Why the Surface hasn't sold well. (idiots)
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2013, 08:43 PM »
I read today that prices from the Surface computers are slashed. The official retail channel in the Netherlands drops the price for the 32GByte one to more or less 350 EUR. But here in Paraguay that same model still costs 760 USD.

In both cases the computers are still too expensive and I have literally seen no-one with a Surface...and frequently I visit the places where the upper middle-class and rich people go for fun and do their shopping.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Why the Surface hasn't sold well. (idiots)
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2013, 09:04 PM »
Underpowered, overpriced, technically challenged, and running an OS nobody I've ever talked to likes very much...and all for the price of a nice i5 powered laptop? Or a decent enough i3 laptop with enough cash left over to buy a snazzy new midrange smartphone?

Yeah. Sign me up. I'll take two. (Not.)

SB said it best: "Idiots." 8)