topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 4:50 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Aliases/groups  (Read 4148 times)

PaladinMJ

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Aliases/groups
« on: February 11, 2008, 08:08 PM »
I'm sure I haven't utalized 1/10th FARR's capabilities. I'm trying to wrap my head around Aliases/groups. I'm not real clear on the differences and the uses of these. I know I should be able to grok this as a programmer but my brain refuses to understand these at the moment.

Any tips, advice, Clue-by-Fours?

I'd be interested in any tips to get more functionality out of FARR as well :)
When I have a mission, it consumes me; I will not be satisfied until the job is done. I have a strong sense of duty, and a strong sense of direction. Changes in the tide don't phase me - I always know which way the wind blows, and I know how to compensate for it. I get on poorly with people like myself.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Aliases/groups
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2008, 01:14 PM »
No one replied yet huh?
Ok i guess i'll take a first shot at this:

By far the best way to see what aliases can do is to look at the provided sample aliases, they demonstrate a bunch of techniques.

The help file also goes into it in some detail.

The most basic way to use alias groups is to collect a bunch of related programs in a "group":
  • For example you might make a group called "games" and put all your games in that group (there are a variety of ways to put files into a group, you can right click on a found item and sent it to a group, or from group options dialog drag and drop into that).
  • Then you type "games" from FARR text box to show all games and launch the one you want.
  • One nice thing about alias groups is you can name each item in a group the way you want it to display.

You can also have just one item in an alias, in which case the alias is basically acting as an "alias" for this one item, so you can type the alias name instead of the real item name, or so that you can launch a program with commandline options.

Aliases can also support regular expressions, so that you can launch programs or functions based on the pattern that you type in the main FARR search editbox.  You can check out the various web based alias groups to see this in action.  For example type "define [somewords]" and youll see the define alias regular expression kicks in and offers you some choices of web urls to launch.

In addition to launching programs or URLS in your web browser, aliases can do some cool tricks.

One such trick is that an alias can match a regular expression based on what you type and simulate a search for another string.  So for example lets say you often do a search like this "+mydocs .pdf SOMEEXTRAWORDS".
With an alias you could create a pattern like "md .*" and instruct it to act as if you typed "+mydocs .pdf $$1".  This can be very useful for repeat invocation of complex searches.

Aliases can do some other things as well, acting like a menu.  So you could make an alias containing a list of other aliases or searches.

You can also make alias entries that paste text into the last active window (for example type "paste" and youll see a few from the paste alias group).

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Aliases/groups
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2008, 07:34 PM »
mouser's explanation is as good as any and you can also check out some usage examples from these threads..

FARR V2 core alias tables
Alias sharing