topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Monday March 18, 2024, 11:43 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Dev-C++ Questions ?  (Read 5507 times)

mahesh2k

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Dev-C++ Questions ?
« on: July 30, 2007, 10:27 AM »
[1] Anyone knows how to create OpenGL programs with the help of Dev-C++? What library files or header files are necessary to execute opengl programs? Please help,thanks in advance.
Tried google search/techiwarehouse & list of devc++,but unable to get answer.

[2] How can i program for language like lua or qt/wxwidgets with Dev-c++?

[3] How can i create graphics programs with Dev-c++?

Please help thanks in advance.

Lashiec

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Dev-C++ Questions ?
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2007, 11:11 AM »
I can answer (partially) the second question. There is another IDE based on Dev-C++, but oriented for wxWidgets programming. Appropriately called wxDev-C++, you can find more information here.

As for the other questions, did you look into the DevPaks? The latest version of Dev-C++ (4.9.9.2 beta) comes with an interface for downloading these packages. I understand that some of the packs might contain what are you asking for.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2007, 09:48 PM »
as Lahiec says, there are wxwidgets packs for dev-c++, which basically just help you get wxwidgets installed; you don't actually need them. opengl is same situation i believe.  in general expect to have some frustration while you are getting a big library set up but after that it's easy.

i'm a big fan of dev-c++, and like it a lot.  for wxwidgets c++ coding you might also try the free cross-platform and excellent IDE called CodeBlocks: http://www.codeblocks.org/

you probably can code qt apps with dev-c++ though i've not done it and i know qt is more focused on visual studio since they aim for the commercial market.

regarding lua, that's a separate language and you wont be able to use dev-c++ or codeblocks to do lua development, you'll need a lua IDE for that.  Unless you are asking about adding a lua interpreter to your code, in which case you should be able to add that library without much trouble.

to summarize in general:  in plain standard c++, these things like wxwidgets, opengl, and other stuff, are libraries that dont require any special integration into your IDE -- they are just libraries you need to configure/compile/link.

mahesh2k

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2007, 11:37 AM »
Anyone knows how to reduce the file size of dev-c++ programms even haello world weighs abt 1.6MB which is heavy.
Any optimization tips you know or URL where it is discussed?

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2007, 12:41 PM »
I have only used the compiler in Dev-C++ from command line.

This is the command you are looking for:

strip <filename>

Don't ask me how to do it in the IDE, I have never actually used the IDE.  :-[

It would be good to take a close look at the documentation for MinGW, as that is the compiler Dev-C++ uses.

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2007, 07:03 PM »
mahesh2k: for OpenGL, google for NeHe's tutorials. Dunno if there's Dev-C++ specific versions, but if you need something that specific, you should probably wait with doing OpenGL and LUA and start with some more generic stuff, imho.

LUA? www.lua.org - again, if you aren't yet familiar enough with your compiler/IDE to compile from source and use that, wait a bit with LUA.

So indeed, start by familiarizing yourself with the GNU GCC compiler (which is what Dev-C++/MINGW uses), fiddle around with the Dev-C++ IDE and find the various compiler/linker settings (hint: to reduce exe size, you don't want to include debug/symbol info, and you want a release and not a debug build).

Also, things like C++ iostreams introduce more of a size hit than printf(), but they're also immensely more flexible.
- carpe noctem