topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday April 18, 2024, 3:34 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: on linux adoption, and small software companies. Are we techno-ecologists?  (Read 2737 times)

urlwolf

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Here is a crazy idea that just crossed my mind.
People who like to test software, and buy from small companies (supporting developers), are in a sense taking care of the techno-ecology... we are protecting techno-diversity, as much as ecologists protect bio-diversity.

People who adopted linux/BSDs etcs and helped spreading them, are in a sense, helping the entire world in one more sense: just being there, as a proof-of-concept. They show that there is no need to subscribe to mainstream even in OS choice.

These people should be acknowledged and supported. They are like fertile ground or havens for endangered species. I.e., many small developers would quit (affecting overall choice) if most people bought from only large software companies or installed only 'mainstream' stuff.

I'm dumping together the GNU/BSD people and the more general "small company software users" crowd, but I think you get may point.

Thoughts?