topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 2:02 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Nearly Had a Gmail Heart Attack this morning  (Read 3431 times)

patteo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Nearly Had a Gmail Heart Attack this morning
« on: May 28, 2007, 01:05 AM »
What does Google "Do No Evil" mantra really mean when it almost gave me a heart attack.

I was minding my own business this morning searching through my Gmail account when all of a sudden I had the following :

I could almost feel a seizure coming since I needed something from my Gmail urgently, certainly within the 24 hours lock down it referred to (see below)

Anyway, as one last desperate act before I visualised myself wheeled into the emergency room, I decided to just try accessing the gmail account and guess what ?

I could access the account normally.

Certainly a good reminder to regularly download my Gmail to Outlook but their message also warned about this.

Really - What gives with this Do No Evil stuff !

Unusual Usage
"Account Lockdown: Unusual Activity Detected

This account has been locked down due to unusual account activity. It may take up to 24 hours for you to regain access.

Unusual account activity includes, but is not limited to:

1. Receiving, deleting, or downloading large amounts of mail via POP in a short period of time.
   2. Sending a large number of undeliverable messages (messages that bounce back).
   3. Using file-sharing or file-storage software, browser extensions, or third party software that automatically logs in to your account.
   4. Leaving multiple instances of your Gmail account open.
   5. Browser-related issues. Please note that if you find your browser continually reloading while attempting to access your Inbox, it’s probably a browser issue, and it may be necessary to clear your browser’s cache and cookies.

If you feel that you have been using your Gmail account according to the Gmail Terms of Use, you can troubleshoot your problem by clicking here."

justice

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Nearly Had a Gmail Heart Attack this morning
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2007, 03:07 AM »
Are you sure that is not a fake scam mail? The from address might be spoofed so you cannot always trust that. I would change my password for gmail if I was you just to make sure.

However, I have heard of reports that Google doesn't like you use Gdrive if it is overused. See point number 3.

cmpm

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Nearly Had a Gmail Heart Attack this morning
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2007, 07:11 AM »
Concerning number 3.

Seems to me Firefox should have said something as well, putting that extension on their site. And the author should have said something also. If they know what would happen if Gspace is used a lot.

I'll give Gmail a plus though, it let me send an .exe file. It added another extension to it-.mp3, so that it would go through.