topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 5:26 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: 140k or not to be 140k?  (Read 5455 times)

dalchina

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
140k or not to be 140k?
« on: February 24, 2007, 09:17 AM »
Hi, good idea, I wanted to limit explorer & IE taking over my PC when they load.

The blurb on this prog said it was small.... small and efficient.. task manager says it's over 7Mb- is that just me?  :huh:

dalchina

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: 140k or not to be 140k?
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2007, 12:36 AM »
The blurb on this prog said it was small.... small and efficient.. task manager says it's over 7Mb- is that just me?

hehehe - i can see why that must seem like a nasty shock.

First let me address file size:

The ProcessTamer program that runs in the background and does all the work is only 148k.
The actual download size of the package is about 2.5mb, because of the help file (1mb) and the configuration graphical user interface configuration program (1mb) which is an entirely separate program, designed that way so that it doesn't have to be loaded in memory unless you are actually configuring the tool.

Now your task memory is saying that it's using over 7mb of memory when running (mine says 5.2mb).   That's really a pretty small amount of memory, and remember it's designed for speed (so as to have minimal impact on your computer), so some design decisions (like have a large hash table) are made which trade off using a little more memory in return for faster execution.

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: 140k or not to be 140k?
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2007, 09:27 AM »
Also keep in mind that there's more to memory usage than what Task Manager shows by default. You'll want to use a more capable tool (sysinternals' Process Explorer), and configure it to show more details than default. The most important amount of memory usage is "Private Bytes" - Task Manager's "mem usage" is actually the "Working Set", which also includes code/data that are shared between processes and thus isn't physical memory usage.

Even a "Hello, world" program written in assembly doing nothing more than a messagebox will have a working set of 2+ megabytes because of shared DLLs. So don't worry too much :)
- carpe noctem