topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 3:24 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Short Article: 10 Top Tips For Protecting Yourself At Hot Spots  (Read 4676 times)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
As many of you know I was away visiting family for a week and connected via wifi wireless networking regularly.  For those of you who don't know much about wireless security (I include myself in this group), you should definitely educate yourself a little about the risks involved and the best way to protect yourself.

I have personally found that using a remote encrypted connection to your home/office pc and doing everything from that pc (writing/reading email, etc.), has been the perfect solution for me and involves the least risk since the only thing in and out of my laptop is the remote connection.  See tip #2 in the article for more on this.

But every time you connect at a hotspot, you're asking for trouble. hotspots are open networks that don't use encryption, which invites hacking and snooping. In addition, when you're on a hotspot you're connected to the same network as your fellow hotspot users, they can potentially weasel their way onto your PC and inflict damage.

from news.com